• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 ACTIONpack

ACTIONpack

Graphic Designer

• 2,809 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 925 (T-Mobile)

Posted 14 March 2014 - 04:43

I ask that question because I really hate Comcast. The compaNY is a monopoly In the internet service in my area. They are now enforcing 300 GB caps and will charge $10 per 50 GB. This could not be a problem if I have choose to jump to a different company to provide cable internet but that's the problem. I can't, because they have a monopoly on cable in my area and not going to jump to ATT DSL which cap too.

I would love to boycott Comcast but I'm one person and find it pointless to do so will only hurt me and Comcast would not give a damn.

#2 +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

• 27,026 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 04:53

You should just start a comooged campaign.

#3 Lachlan

Lachlan

Neowinian Senior

• 2,117 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 05:07

it feels good.. bigger thing you could do is raise a stink on twitter about how they are a monopoly and actually spread the word..

#4 astropheed

astropheed

astropheed

• 1,898 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 05:11

No, not pointless.

In most (almost all) cases it accomplished little to nothing. Although, every so often, it turns into something bigger, far out of your control and actual results are achieved.

Believe it or not, your opinion matters.

#5 exotoxic

exotoxic

Neowinian Senior

• 2,196 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 17:15

no because other people out there will feel the same, you just have to spread the word and join together.

#6 +_Alexander

_Alexander

Neowinian

• 1,368 posts
  • Phone: Nokia 521

Posted 15 March 2014 - 17:27

Pointless.

Occupy Wall Street

QED.

#7 +LogicalApex

LogicalApex

Software Engineer

• 6,461 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 15 March 2014 - 17:40

No, boycotting a company isn't pointless. Of course, how companies act in monopoly markets is very different from how they act in competitive markets, but the basics are the same. They want your money...

Even a monopolist has to ensure that he is actually serving some of the needs of the customers to ensure that they return. Comcast is test marketing the new broadband cap pricing in your area for a reason. They want to see how people in your area react to these prices. If most people go "boycotting/cancelling my service is pointless" then the message that Comcast will conclude is "our customers are not sensitive to metered pricing" and they will do this more...

Your decision not to patronize them matters... Just remembering that is important as people today seem to have the attitude that you should just lay down and take whatever corporate bosses tell you to take.

#8 Nogib

Nogib

Neowinian

• 653 posts
  • Phone: LG Nexus 5

Posted 15 March 2014 - 17:44

Boycotting/protesting/whatever is THE most pointless and futile action anyone can do.

#9 DavidM

DavidM

Neowinian Senior

• 1,790 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 17:44

The only thing that would make Comcast pay attention is a long term boycott, where they lost money for months, and then you'd have to outlast them, and it's just not going to happen. Most people would rather bitch and moan while they over pay for ###### high speed service with data caps, than say get a great deal for great service over dial-up/dsl/whatever.

Some will even start threads on forums asking if it would do any good to boycott Comcast, while in the same post admitting they won't change providers and will contine to pay since they have the best option available to them.

Are you really going to ask others to do what you won't? Then I guess you have you answer...right?

#10 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• 16,868 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 15 March 2014 - 17:52

Boycotting certainly isn't pointless. I boycott numerous companies for ethical reasons, like SodaStream because it operates in the illegally occupied West Bank. If other consumers do the same it can send a powerful message; if not then you're at least depriving them of revenue that they would use to further exploit the market. However, if you really care about such matters you should look to take further action - sharing it on forums is a start (as you have done), signing petitions, writing to local politicians, writing to the company to explain why you are boycotting them (otherwise they won't know), etc.

You can't expect your boycott of a company to change things overnight but just know that it does have an impact.

#11 McKay

McKay

Worth the weight

• 6,022 posts
  • Phone: Xperia Z3

Posted 15 March 2014 - 17:55

Boycotting alone? Yes. As in boycotting you cut yourself off from their services out of principle then they won't even notice.

#12 Izlude

Izlude

Oddy Tentacles

• 2,417 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 02:50

Boycotting got Subway to remove some harmful ingredients from their bread just recently.  Boycotting is never useless :)  Organization, that's the secret, no waste motions.

#13 astropheed

astropheed

astropheed

• 1,898 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 20:59

Boycotting certainly isn't pointless. I boycott numerous companies for ethical reasons, like SodaStream because it operates in the illegally occupied West Bank.

B-b-but I love my SodaStream. :(

#14 +macoman

macoman

Neowinian

• 953 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 21:09

Boycotting/protesting/whatever is THE most pointless and futile action anyone can do.

I totally agreed... I have seen mass protesting and does not do anything. It is just a waste of time :p

#15 McKay

McKay

Worth the weight

• 6,022 posts
  • Phone: Xperia Z3

Posted 16 March 2014 - 21:22

My old English teacher has been boycotting Coca Cola for years. I don't think they notice  :rolleyes: