can't see PS4 or Xbox One lasting more than 5 years.

Maybe peaked but not died.  It has still outsold the Xbox 360 and PS3 with the most recent numbers.  It's total sales are over 100 million while Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 are in the 80's.  I'm not a Wii fan, I don't have one, never wanted one and I would argue it's really more of a late comer to the PS2  and Xbox generation than a competitor with the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 in terms of specs.  That said the numbers don't lie, they used lower spec hardware and totally outsold the competition.  They did so by so much it's unlikely that the Xbox 360 or PlayStation 3 will ever catch them even if their sales have dried up now.

Where did you get these numbers from? The wii is long dead and they stopped making games for it unless i missed something.

Consoles are generally designed for a 5 year lifespan.

Designed in 2011/12, Hardware release as of Nov 2013

Good titles taking advantage of the hardware 2015-2018

New hardware release and wind-down of current system 2018-2020.

The xbox 360 was released in 2005, and is still going strong 9 years later. We won't have those days anymore, The original Xbox lasted only 4 years as MS killed it off when the 360 released basically. I'd be impressed if there is another console release TBH. The 360/PS3 gen will be the 'longest running' this millenia as there is no backward compatibility in their newer revisions. Running in the 'cloud' and streaming digital copies to your smartphone/tv/player/stb is more likely. MS/Sony don't really make money from hardware sales compared to software distribution.

Where did you get these numbers from? The wii is long dead and they stopped making games for it unless i missed something.

AFAIK they were redesigned and are still being sold along side PS3s and 360s, least for Canadians. No wi-fi, no sd card slot, only one usb. $100 with controller, nunchuck & mario Kart.

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/nintendo-wii-nintendo-wii-mini-with-mario-kart-wii-red-wii/10270488.aspx?path=4a09df5587750657bf0b5f026696fdcden02

There is nothing in the wiki about Dec 2013 sales. The Xbox 360 has been outselling the wii for a long time now.

What does Dec 2013 sales have to do with anything?  That's one month in a several year life span.  My point was that the Wii has outsold the Xbox 360 and PS3 over their lifetimes, not that it is currently outselling them.  It do so in such dramatic fashion that even though they are outselling the Wii now they will likely never catch the MASSIVE lead it built up.  You asked where I got the numbers from and I provided the source.  Unless your point is that the numbers are a 2.5ish months old for the Wii and 3ish months for the PlayStation 3 and 4ish months old for the Xbox 360 so maybe the other consoles caught up since then???  I seriously hope that's not your point because if MS has sold around 85 million Xboxes since 2005 do you really think they are going to close a 15+ million console gap in a few months?  Even if sales were linear that would mean they sell roughly 10 million consoles a year and it would take a year and a half of MS selling consoles and Nintendo selling ZERO for them to catch up, not a few months.  Again though it isn't even close to linear and the Xbox 360 and PS3 sales are going to overall continue to decline now that the Xbox One and PS4 are out.

Nintendo should strike in 3 years. Sadly they are not ready. But it would be the time for them to retake the crown and put both Sony and Microsoft in a bad position.

lol, thanks, I needed that :laugh:

Nintendo should strike in 3 years. Sadly they are not ready. But it would be the time for them to retake the crown and put both Sony and Microsoft in a bad position.

If Nintendo's recent past is any indication, if they were to release a new console in three years, it would be something that was really close or matched the X1/ps4, not something that surpassed either one.

Not saying that might not work, but I have my doubts.

If Nintendo's recent past is any indication, if they were to release a new console in three years, it would be something that was really close or matched the X1/ps4, not something that surpassed either one.

Not saying that might not work, but I have my doubts.

I'm not saying they will. I'm sure they wont.

But if they ever want to be back on top again this is maybe their last and only chance. I think Sony and MS position will never be as weak as it is right now and will be in the next 2 or maybe 3 years. Both were imo not ready for this gen. It would not be too hard to come with something more powerful and well designed around 2017.

I'm getting so tired of the which console is more powerful. The spec that both system has I Dont see it lasting more than 5 years. Technology is going so fast and the new consoles are already outdated by a few years now. Can't see myself getting either. Does anyone feel this way?

Console world doesn't work like that, you'll get a good 7 to 10 years out of them before the next gen hits. Consoles are "outdated" the moment they hit store shelves but it takes 7+ years to squeeze every ounce of power out of them. The pace of technology has little effect on consoles, however, things like advancing manufacturing processes etc will be fully utilised throughout the consoles life in the release of slimmer more efficient models. Also it takes time to develop the next console, MS and Sony will already be in the very initial stages of the PS5/Xbox Next but it'll take them a few years just to nail down what they want to do with them and the type of specs they'll have etc. That is my 2 cents, take with a grain of salt.

Console world doesn't work like that, you'll get a good 7 to 10 years out of them before the next gen hits. Consoles are "outdated" the moment they hit store shelves but it takes 7+ years to squeeze every ounce of power out of them. The pace of technology has little effect on consoles, however, things like advancing manufacturing processes etc will be fully utilised throughout the consoles life in the release of slimmer more efficient models. Also it takes time to develop the next console, MS and Sony will already be in the very initial stages of the PS5/Xbox Next but it'll take them a few years just to nail down what they want to do with them and the type of specs they'll have etc. That is my 2 cents, take with a grain of salt.

Plus they update and improve the firmware and GUI in relevant updates that improve the experience. That's why they don't need to upgrade the hardware soon. It can last several years like you point it out.

Asmodai, on 14 Mar 2014 - 16:24, said:

What does Dec 2013 sales have to do with anything?  That's one month in a several year life span.  My point was that the Wii has outsold the Xbox 360 and PS3 over their lifetimes, not that it is currently outselling them.  It do so in such dramatic fashion that even though they are outselling the Wii now they will likely never catch the MASSIVE lead it built up.  You asked where I got the numbers from and I provided the source.  Unless your point is that the numbers are a 2.5ish months old for the Wii and 3ish months for the PlayStation 3 and 4ish months old for the Xbox 360 so maybe the other consoles caught up since then???  I seriously hope that's not your point because if MS has sold around 85 million Xboxes since 2005 do you really think they are going to close a 15+ million console gap in a few months?  Even if sales were linear that would mean they sell roughly 10 million consoles a year and it would take a year and a half of MS selling consoles and Nintendo selling ZERO for them to catch up, not a few months.  Again though it isn't even close to linear and the Xbox 360 and PS3 sales are going to overall continue to decline now that the Xbox One and PS4 are out.

yea will the wii fad. It died off and everyone stopped buying the games. With the amount of consoles it sold you would have thought it would have been supported longer but everyone jumped ship.

Do any of you guys see yourselves skipping this generation and sticking with PC?

I was all excited about the stuff before it actually came out, so very possibly.  I could get an X1 or PS4 if the libraries improve a hell of a lot but right now I have no desire to.

Do any of you guys see yourselves skipping this generation and sticking with PC?

While i already have a wii u, i probably will do like i did with the last gen consoles and wait like 4-5 years to get one when it comes to sony and microsoft. The libraries will hopefully be decent on at least one of those two consoles by then.

I was all excited about the stuff before it actually came out, so very possibly.  I could get an X1 or PS4 if the libraries improve a hell of a lot but right now I have no desire to.

Yeah the games are somewhat trinkling, TW3 got pushed to 2015 so the libraries are looks a bit barren in the first few years. I really wonder if games like Destiny will even be that good, there's a lot of uncertainty.

While i already have a wii u, i probably will do like i did with the last gen consoles and wait like 4-5 years to get one when it comes to sony and microsoft. The libraries will hopefully be decent on at least one of those two consoles by then.

Yeah I did the same with the PS3 (when I was gifted one last black friday), when I got PS+ I had more games than I could keep up with. Value really does add to the gaming experience.

I think this year will be the last one where developers release games on current and last gen systems.  2015 will probably see the majority of games being on the new systems only.

Nah, they're both still selling good, the 360 selling very good, and there's millions of them out there. They'll keep making games for them for at least another 2-3 years. To big a market to miss for a small growing next gen market that even in 3 years isn't going to have half the user base of last gen.