Photo

can't see PS4 or Xbox One lasting more than 5 years.

ps4 xbox one sony microsoft

• Please log in to reply
126 replies to this topic

#121 Athernar

Athernar

?

• 2,940 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 01:18

I'm not talking about those that have an opinion based on ignorance. I'm referring to those that are fully aware of what the numbers mean and yet are willing to make trade offs on one aspect or another. Ignorance is a completely separate point.

Just because they are willing to accept certain things does not mean they are happy with things staying as they are. It just means they are able to enjoy a game that may not hit all marks at the highest level but at the same time appreciate games that push the boundaries of what had been limitations in the past. Its not all or nothing here, its a mix.

Apathy is no less harmful, it's just the same thing wrapped up in a different package.

Maybe it's just me, but it seems like you are half talking in riddles. I am finding it quite hard to grasp exactly what you're saying & how it applies here. I mean... I am not an early adopter; I don't have a new machine.

I think it's more a case of not wanting to understand rather than not understand quite honestly. I was quite clear in my reasoning.

#122 Skin

Skin

Neowinian

• 1,097 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 01:18

These things are so 'underpowered' compared to where they SHOULD be in today's world, but compared to the last gen consoles, they are miles ahead.

For me, I just want more multimedia and other uses, games... I got a PC for that, and if I didn't, a phone, laptop or tablet are all within purchasing reach.

#123 trooper11

trooper11

Neowinian Senior

• 4,552 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 01:54

Apathy is no less harmful, it's just the same thing wrapped up in a different package.

Oh come on, its not apathy.

Its in in fact possible to enjoy games of varying levels of quality in certain areas. Its not a negative thing.

Heck, much of the 'indie' gaming scene is fueled by people that enjoy games of a certain type that may not be progressive in regards to graphics or even gameplay.

#124 Athernar

Athernar

?

• 2,940 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 02:13

Oh come on, its not apathy.

Its in in fact possible to enjoy games of varying levels of quality in certain areas. Its not a negative thing.

Heck, much of the 'indie' gaming scene is fueled by people that enjoy games of a certain type that may not be progressive in regards to graphics or even gameplay.

False equivalence. Triple-As and Indies are defined genres of games, that is not the same as "tolerating" poor performance in terms of framerate.

#125 trooper11

trooper11

Neowinian Senior

• 4,552 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 03:43

False equivalence. Triple-As and Indies are defined genres of games, that is not the same as "tolerating" poor performance in terms of framerate.

Wait, are you talking about games that are meant to be running at a certain frame rate but instead perform lower or are you talking about games that are built to run at a frame rate that is lower than say what the pc platform can support?

For instance, if a game is made that is released at 30fps and indeed runs steady at that vs a game released to run at 60 but instead jumps from 30-60 regularly?

I think gamers tolerate poor performance when that performance hits an acceptable level. Now, if that poor performance means a frame rate that is all over the place or some other kind of visual performance issue, then I would say there is more universal disdain for that.

Removing the indie part of my comment, the rest still holds true.

#126 Kvally

Kvally

Neowin Veteran

• 5,865 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5S

Posted 19 March 2014 - 11:33

With the Xbox 360 going with almost a 12 year cycle and still pumping out games, I can see the new gen going 12-15 years.

#127 neoadorable

neoadorable

Neowinian Senior

• 10,466 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 02:09

Would hardly say the 360 or PS3 will have a 12 year cycle...they will be gone by end of 2015 from store shelves effectively, so that's 9-10 years. Sure, games will continue to come out for a few more years, but that's inertia and not really viable commercial activity. Even tech support will cease in 2016, pretty sure, as MS and Sony only committed to 10 years - and verbally at that, not actually. Note the 10 year thing is not as prominent this time, only mention of it i can think of is MS saying you can leave X1 on for ten years with no problems, but that's an academic aside, hardly a promise or endorsement of support. Cycles will get shorter and shorter as we head into that Matrix-like future where local hardware isn't as vital, or needs to change really quick. Expecting 15 years from X1/PS4 is not realistic.