Quran verse on expression of justice greets Harvard University visitors

Harvard University says Quran verse is one of the greatest expressions of justice

Verse-135-of-Sura-Al-Nisa-women-chapter.

Morocco World News

Sidi Ifni, Morocco, January 24, 2013

The U.S. Harvard University, one of the most prestigious institutions in the world, has placed a Quran verse at the entrance of its faculty of law.

Described by the institution as one of the greatest expressions of justice in history, Verse 136 of Surah Al Nisa (The Women Chapter) is dedicated to humanity as the best expression defending and articulating justice.

According to the Saudi Arabic language daily Ajel, a Saudi Student at Harvard published the picture of the verse on his Twitter page.

?O you who have believed, be persistently standing firm in justice, witnesses for Allah, even if it be against yourselves or parents and relatives. Whether one is rich or poor, Allah is more worthy of both. So follow not [personal] inclination, lest you not be just. And if you distort [your testimony] or refuse [to give it], then indeed Allah is ever, with what you do, Acquainted.? Surat An Nisa 4: 135

?I noticed that the verse was posted by the faculty of law, which described it as one of the greatest expressions for justice in history,? Abdullah Jumma said.

Justice quotations were selected among 150 contributions from law school faculty, staff and students. Yet, the three unanimously appreciated and displayed at the faculty entrance are quotes taken from St. Augustine, the Holy Quran and the Magna Carta.

According to the official website of the university, The Words of Justice exhibition is a clear sign of humanity?s craving for fairness on this earth.

At present, visitors to Harvard, researchers in particular, have the chance to identify themselves with the best articulations of justice since time immemorial.

Harvard University, the oldest institution of higher learning in the United States, was founded in Cambridge, Massachusetts in 1636.

Source

Source 2

Yet, the three unanimously appreciated and displayed at the faculty entrance are quotes taken from St. Augustine, the Holy Quran and the Magna Carta.

Seems perfectly fine to me. It's not being used for its religious content or source but for its message of justice.

Put simply, I find this offensive.

Okay, I know the difference between extremists and the norm, but for an American institution to publicize a verse of the Quran like this? That's very un-American in my view. Why not quote something from an earlier American president or leader (from before 1990) instead?

Go on, say I'm wrong, racist, offensive, and call me names. Just wanted to share my two cents...

• Like 2

Okay, I know the difference between extremists and the norm, but for an American institution to publicize a verse of the Quran like this? That's very un-American in my view. Why not quote something from an earlier American president or leader (from before 1990) instead?

Go on, say I'm wrong, racist, offensive, and call me names. Just wanted to share my two cents...

lol, Now that kind of thinking is laughable.

lol, Now that kind of thinking is laughable.

I don't care. Laugh at me all you like. I'm not scared to share my views. Why not share yours?

I don't care. Laugh at me all you like. I'm not scared to share my views. Why not share yours?

here, don't just share your views without reading.

The words on these walls affirm the power and irrepressibility of the idea of justice. They give testimony to the endurance of humanity?s yearning for fairness and dignity through law.

This exhibit is a collaboration between students, faculty and staff at Harvard Law School.  It reflects a hope that the aspirations and ideals expressed here will continue to inspire all who struggle for laws that are just.

Martha Minow

Dean and Jeremiah Smith, Jr. Professor

I find it odd that you would think it's un-American, given that America is about EVERYONE, not just one particular religious group of people. You might also be interested in knowing there is a sculpture of Muhammad on the the Supreme Court Building with 18 other historical figures who influence law throughout history. So yes, you're wrong.

Harvard doesn't have any historical roots to the Quran/Eastern religions: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harvard_University#History

I'd prefer to have seen a quote from a past (profound) Harvard professor. Or doesn't/hasn't Harvard have any?

Maybe try paying attention next time.... http://library.law.harvard.edu/justicequotes/

• Like 2

Moderator/s, please delete EVERYTHING in relation to my initial post. This isn't going to end well...

Thank you.

All, sorry to offend. I didn't intend to. Everyone takes things too seriously nowadays, and one sharing their own view can quickly become an enemy. I'm not going to take part in any religious topics in the future.

Moderator/s, please delete EVERYTHING in relation to my initial post. This isn't going to end well...

Of course not, you whining about religion when the quote used was used in an exhibit related to LAW not religion.

I find it odd that you would think it's un-American, given that America is about EVERYONE, not just one particular religious group of people. You might also be interested in knowing there is a sculpture of Muhammad on the the Supreme Court Building with 18 other historical figures who influence law throughout history. So yes, you're wrong.

Maybe try paying attention next time.... http://library.law.harvard.edu/justicequotes/

I'd like your opinion on Muhammad. Be interesting to see how much you actually know about him.

PEACE please!

I'd like your opinion on Muhammad. Be interesting to see how much you actually know about him.

PEACE!

My opinion and knowledge on him is irrelevant to this discussion. The simple FACT is, Muhammad is seen by the legal community as a lawgiver during his time. As such, the quote used at this EXHIBIT, along with quotes from other lawgivers throughout history, is as valid as any other. It is not being used in a religious manner but a legal one. So arguing that it's somehow offensive and un-American, specially coming from someone from another country, is pretty asinine. 

All, sorry to offend. I didn't intend to. Everyone takes things too seriously nowadays, and one sharing their own view can quickly become an enemy. I'm not going to take part in any religious topics in the future.

In all fairness you're the one that claimed being offended. There is zero reason you shouldn't be able to have an open debate about religion without being offended. 

I can't see any reason why an article like this would be written, apart to allow people like the previous poster to put forward their disgust, and show that intolerance is still alive and well in the "free world".

Appreciation of one portion or notion of something isn't endorsement of the entire book/religion/prophet/god.

Pretty much all holy scripture every-so-often hits an easy target about basic morality or justice but is otherwise littered with inane drivel.

Appreciation of one portion or notion of something isn't endorsement of the entire book/religion/prophet/god

sure that doesnt mean quoting from mein kempf or from mao'd book would be wise

no America isnt about EVERYONE. America is about Americans.  in this case, its insane to put Muhammad -  who among other things came up with the barbaric sharia "law"  at the entrance of harvard law facility. i guess while Americans are at it, they might as well get ACLU to put a quote from Hitler at the entrance of their building  :rolleyes: 

harvard could have quoted Lincoln or Madison :/

Thank you.

chicken much?

My opinion and knowledge on him is irrelevant to this discussion. The simple FACT is, Muhammad is seen by the legal community as a lawgiver during his time. As such, the quote used at this EXHIBIT, along with quotes from other lawgivers throughout history, is as valid as any other. It is not being used in a religious manner but a legal one. So arguing that it's somehow offensive and un-American, specially coming from someone from another country, is pretty asinine. 

The quote is religious, Muhammad the prophet may have been seen as a lawgiver but making laws and abiding by them are two different things. If I set the laws I could bend them to my own benefit.

These are other reasons why I think it shouldn't be quoted:

Mohammed broke many of today's laws, the same laws they teach you at Harvard to uphold and protect.

- Mohammed bribed people with spoils of war to convert to Islam.

- He had people killed who spoke out against Islam.

- In Villages he raided they would collect the women and sell/trade them.

- Women captives were raped after Mohammad received a revelation allowing the soldiers to do so. (This was shortly after soldiers were getting weary of being away from their wives for long periods and asked the prophet for guidance)

- Mohammed began a courtship with a 6 year old girl.

Mohammed was also illiterate, he could neither read nor write. (His followers wrote down his words for the quran)

I'm not religious,I'm not going to sugar-coat it.. what is written above is fact and is also in the Quran. I find it offensive that his words are used to try uphold justice in any Institution which teaches law.

• Like 3

How about justice for the women of Saudi Arabia?  That barbaric nation that still has public stonings and beheadings, and also the nation that considers the Quran to be their constitution.  What a joke.  Quote whoever the hell you want I guess, I guess it proves you're a bleeding heart to pick a (rightly) maligned "prophet" (PBUH)

I find it ironic that there so many other suras to choose from but instead they picked sura Al Nisa. Here's another awesome verse from Al Nisa (4:34):

"Men are in charge of women by

what Allah has given one over the other and what they spend [for maintenance] from their wealth. So righteous women are devoutly obedient, guarding in [the husband's] absence what Allah would have them guard. But those [wives] from whom you fear arrogance - [first] advise them; [then if they persist], forsake them in bed; and [finally], strike them. But if they obey you [once more], seek no means against them. Indeed, Allah is ever Exalted and Grand."
  • Like 2

no America isnt about EVERYONE. America is about Americans.  in this case, its insane to put Muhammad -  who among other things came up with the barbaric sharia "law"  at the entrance of harvard law facility. i guess while Americans are at it, they might as well get ACLU to put a quote from Hitler at the entrance of their building  :rolleyes: 

harvard could have quoted Lincoln or Madison :/

Actually you're wrong, America is about everyone that is here, specially given that this country was made up of immigrants, you know the people who became Americans. This exhibit also uses quotes from people around the world and is not in anyway based on Americans only, so you're whining is basically pointless. You don't have to like what this exhibit is about, it's not yours to worry about. And for all anyone here knows, they could very well have quotes from Lincoln and Madison. Just because its not shown in the video doesn't mean that's all the quotes on display. 

chicken much?

Troll much?