EU: All phones have the same charging port

I've never broken it but I've come close  :s. My main gripe though is that the port fills up with dust and eventually it'll stop working properly (this has happened to me) and it's a pain in the arse to get the dust out because it all get caught around the tongue bit.

Ok, cool, and my thanks for a well thought out response.

I can't say I've had any issue with dust build up, most of my charger cables get left wherever they were plugged in, just turned off at the source,

(I'm guessing you've tried a toothbrush to clean them out)

Ok, cool, and my thanks for a well thought out response.

I can't say I've had any issue with dust build up, most of my charger cables get left wherever they were plugged in, just turned off at the source,

(I'm guessing you've tried a toothbrush to clean them out)

Yeah, it's not a huge problem for me either but it does happen. The worse time was last year when the charge port of my old Galaxy Nexus clogged up with dust so much it wouldn't charge or do anything! (the dead giveaway was the fact the cable wouldn't fit properly :P) I cleared it out (very carefully) with sharp point of a safety pin (of all things) and it was good as new :happy: (Y)

• Like 1

what about phones now coming with USB3? yes micro-usb is great but we need something that charges the phones faster.  Lightning to USB Cable does this! Also will there a group of people so force phones to upgrade to a new standard each year or two years. 

what about phones now coming with USB3? yes micro-usb is great but we need something that charges the phones faster.  Lightning to USB Cable does this! Also will there a group of people so force phones to upgrade to a new standard each year or two years. 

USB 3 charges faster than USB 2 if you're only charging over the port on a PC etc. Doesn't make a difference if you're charging via the wall, still charges the same speed. Both the S4 and Note 3 charge at 2A from the wall, S4 has USB 2 and Note 3 has USB 3. iPhone charger is 1A. However iDevices charge faster on USB on Macs because they enable high power charging, but they don't do it on PC. Its why you can charge an iPad over USB on Mac but not PC.

USB 3 charges faster than USB 2 if you're only charging over the port on a PC etc. Doesn't make a difference if you're charging via the wall, still charges the same speed. Both the S4 and Note 3 charge at 2A from the wall, S4 has USB 2 and Note 3 has USB 3. iPhone charger is 1A. However iDevices charge faster on USB on Macs because they enable high power charging, but they don't do it on PC. Its why you can charge an iPad over USB on Mac but not PC.

There are ways to charge iPad on a PC, some newer boards support this, the iPad can even use a iPhone charge (5v) but it will be slower. You need a good wall charger to get the iPad working at the 10v it recommends. Back to USB3 if you have a 10v wall charger i expect the USB3 to like this and charge faster, but i think it would come down to the phone maker and software.

There are ways to charge iPad on a PC, some newer boards support this, the iPad can even use a iPhone charge (5v) but it will be slower. You need a good wall charger to get the iPad working at the 10v it recommends. Back to USB3 if you have a 10v wall charger i expect the USB3 to like this and charge faster, but i think it would come down to the phone maker and software.

My S4 and Note 3 both have a 5V 2A wall charger, both seem to charge at the same rate. S4 is USB 2, Note 3 is USB3. From what I read the Note 3 charges slightly faster over just USB when plugged into a  PC than USB 2. 

My S4 and Note 3 both have a 5V 2A wall charger, both seem to charge at the same rate. S4 is USB 2, Note 3 is USB3. From what I read the Note 3 charges slightly faster over just USB when plugged into a  PC than USB 2. 

Interesting. I think this could all be solved if we had solar panel screens on our phones!