Porting the Windows Address Book to Windows 7?

Question

Hello guys! I like storing all my contacts on the computer. I like Windows 7 and I installed the ported version of Windows Movie Maker 6 from Vista. Do you think it's possible to port the Windows Address Book program in a similar vein to Windows 7? Was it a part of Outlook Express? I really liked it more than the Contacts folder as I liked having my contacts in a program and not like separate files in some folder. :)

Windows_Address_Book.png

11 answers to this question

Thanks, but I already have my contacts in Windows 7. I want to know if it's possible to port the Address Book program to Windows 7. I guess I'll have to install XP although my computer came with 7. Having the address book is essential to me and I don't like the third party address book software available. As far as I know Mac OS still has an Address book, so I might migrate in the future. :)

I doubt the application is Windows 7 compatible. The resources for it wouldn't be there anymore.

why can you not just export from XP address book, and then import into windows 7 address book?

XP uses wab does not not, you can just import that into the windows 7 address book.

I doubt the application is Windows 7 compatible. The resources for it wouldn't be there anymore.

I've seen Windows Movie Maker from Vista ported to Windows 7. It even had an installer. Well, I know Vista and 7 are more similar than Vista and XP, but it could be possible. But I guess the Address Book needs Outlook Express to work and that . In fact Address Book is the *only* reason why I dual boot XP and Vista on my home computer (and Windows Mail plus the default skin is the reason I like Vista over 7 and 8). I never really was a fan of XP. :)

"In fact Address Book is the *only* reason why I dual boot XP and Vista on my home computer"

What??  You dual boot OSes for some FREE address book application?  You do understand there are 1000's if not 10's of 1000's of "address book" applications..  You can not find one that is as good as the free one that came with XP?  What?

So I fired up a XP VM the other day.. Will have to setup OE on it and a mail account to test your issue here.

edit:

Ok -- I just fired up OE on my XP vm, connected it to outlook account I had just created..  Sent test message, etc..

I fired up thunderbird on the box and it automatically imported the mail.

post-14624-0-73648600-1395662812.png

Your saying this does not work?  Or if on thunderbird running on the box with OE, you can not do an import

post-14624-0-98518100-1395662931.png

And the import wizard also pulled in my OE address book

post-14624-0-99094800-1395663021.png

+BudMan, it's not about importing my contacts, I have them on Vista (with pictures and all). The picture feauture is the only good thing about Contacts in Vista and 7. I don't like having my contacts in a folder, I prefer using an application but all the free third-party ones look different. I like change (I like both Vista and 8 more than XP and 7) but my address book habits are hard to change I guess. I think with some registry tweaks it might work on Vista. If XP's movie maker can be backward compatible with Vista/7 I can't see why a simpler program like WAB cannot be ported:

Movie_Maker.png

Oh my bad - I thought this was the other thread where guy was trying to import stuff from OE to Outlook, etc. 

Your just talking about address book.  So what do you use for email?  Why not store you information there?

I can't find anything port wise.  The program is "Wab.exe" which exists on 7/8 but works a little differently.  

I can't find anything port wise.  The program is "Wab.exe" which exists on 7/8 but works a little differently.  

Looks like wab.exe just opens up your Contacts folder on Win 7, which I might add has virtually identical functionality to XP Address Book.

2rh71ja.png

Looks like wab.exe just opens up your Contacts folder on Win 7, which I might add has virtually identical functionality to XP Address Book.

2rh71ja.png

Yep, does the same on windows 8.1.  I even tried to copy the wab.exe from XP onto 8.1 it worked fine... opened the contacts folder.  Must just do some sort of system call.  I noticed it wanted to be the "default vCard viewer".