Jimquisition: Why The PS4 Is Kicking Xbox Ones Arse

first 4 min of this nonsense just touts the indie games... as much as i love a good indie game, it cannot be the reason why PS4 is kicking the xbox... (he even says they are not console sellers) then he goes on to say how much better PLUS is better then LIVE.. everyone knows that to be a load of bs.  If we are talking about free games.. sure.. plus is better, but if we are talking about the overall mp experience.. live still rules that.  I dont argue that ps4 is kicking xbox's "arse" but this guy doesnt know wtf he is talking about.

• Like 2

First 4minutes are ABSOLUTELY FALSE...

Though the indie games are fun, he makes it seem like a justifiable reason that people are spending $400-$500 for a game console.

I love a good Indie game don't get me wrong.  But I did not buy a PS4 for Resogun (Love this game though) or an Xbox One for Peggle 2 or Max and the Magic Marker (love these 2 games as well)

Resogun and Outlast are about it as far as "Really Good" Indie games go on the PS4.  This dude is really letting his fanboyism show...

He says that Microsoft doesn't "get indie", he must of never touched a 360 in his life...  It was the king of indies on consoles last gen.  

"PSN trounces Live"....WHAT!!!!.... lol...  He should use the terms "The Free games offering of PSN is better than Live. and that's where that stops.  PERIOD.  

Edit: This was totally lame... ALL OF IT... Not just the first 4minutes...His word play is very misleading and false...

• Like 1

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/jimquisition/8896-Why-The-PS4-Is-Kicking-Xbox-Ones-Arse

Probably not going to be Jim's most favourite video, but here it is nevertheless.

Spot on video (Y)

I swear Jim has stolen a few of my forum posts for this :laugh: Saying that I won't be giving up my PC indie collection for the cherry picked console selections. It's great when they port the best of the best, but you're missing out on some lesser known great games too. It skips a lot of other valid reasons too like price, but I guess you can only say so much in these weekly segments.

Spot on video (Y)

I swear Jim has stolen a few of my forum posts for this :laugh: Saying that I won't be giving up my PC indie collection for the cherry picked console selections. It's great when they port the best of the best, but you're missing out on some lesser known great games too. It skips a lot of other valid reasons too like price, but I guess you can only say so much in these weekly segments.

He could have fit it in if he didn't spend 5 minutes making sweet sensual love to indie games, only to admit "they don't sell systems". I've been burned too much by indie games on PC to give a crap about then anymore. You either look for them yourself, and spend a tonne of money on games that never end up seeing the light of day, or never leave alpha. Or you sit back and wait for the occasional gem to rise out of the sea of turds that is indie gaming enough to get noticed. 

Then he goes on about matters that are pure opinion like they're facts. It's pretty much down to this. The PS4 is cheaper, more powerful and was available in more territories. That's what is going to get the masses and make the differences. 

He could have fit it in if he didn't spend 5 minutes making sweet sensual love to indie games, only to admit "they don't sell systems".

What he meant is that indie games taken alone don't sell systems but when you consider all of them as a single entity then yes they can sell systems. Indie games are one of the reason why PC gaming has made a return and is stronger than ever. Hell it's one of the reason i started to play PC games again. Those indie games on XBox Live were always 15$ while i could get them for 5$ on Steam 2-3 times every year.

• Like 1

He could have fit it in if he didn't spend 5 minutes making sweet sensual love to indie games, only to admit "they don't sell systems". I've been burned too much by indie games on PC to give a crap about then anymore. You either look for them yourself, and spend a tonne of money on games that never end up seeing the light of day, or never leave alpha. Or you sit back and wait for the occasional gem to rise out of the sea of turds that is indie gaming enough to get noticed. 

Then he goes on about matters that are pure opinion like they're facts. It's pretty much down to this. The PS4 is cheaper, more powerful and was available in more territories. That's what is going to get the masses and make the differences. 

I'm sure he could talk about all the different reasons why for hours if it were possible, but obviously it's not. I guess to him what matters most is how he's actually using his consoles and hence why he started with indies. System sellers or not, they are as much a valid reason as any and one I have to agree on. For me they are a system seller because I'm sick of the AAA market and the recycled annual releases. For most they're an after thought to fill the gaps while you wait for a friend to come online before jumping into *insert AAA MP game*. But I spend probably 90% of my time on indies and 10% AAA and I suspect Jim is a big fan of them too. On top of the ported gems, Sony are also a lot more liberal in the indies they fund and support too which I'm a big fan of. Microsoft started out like that with XBLA in the early years but it died off into fewer numbers / sequel territory. Sucks you've been burned by them, I've not had that issue myself.

And that's exactly what I mean, there's a ton of reasons, he didn't even mention resolutiongate which you could talk about for hours. Either way, the outcome of the video would be the same conclusion, but with more arguments for rather than against.

As a member of the glorious PC master race, I don't own either of these but it seemed to me that the reason the 360 won the last gen was because MS made a console for gaming, while Sony tacked on a load of the media stuff to the PS3.

Now this time around they've both done a 180 and it's Sony who are emphasizing gaming while MS are tacking on all that media stuff. So it's little surprise that Sony are winning this time. Gamers want to play games. They already have devices to do all that other crap.

• Like 5

I'm sure he could talk about all the different reasons why for hours if it were possible, but obviously it's not. I guess to him what matters most is how he's actually using his consoles and hence why he started with indies. System sellers or not, they are as much a valid reason as any and one I have to agree on. For me they are a system seller because I'm sick of the AAA market and the recycled annual releases. For most they're an after thought to fill the gaps while you wait for a friend to come online before jumping into *insert AAA MP game*. But I spend probably 90% of my time on indies and 10% AAA and I suspect Jim is a big fan of them too. On top of the ported gems, Sony are also a lot more liberal in the indies they fund and support too which I'm a big fan of. Microsoft started out like that with XBLA in the early years but it died off into fewer numbers / sequel territory. Sucks you've been burned by them, I've not had that issue myself.

And that's exactly what I mean, there's a ton of reasons, he didn't even mention resolutiongate which you could talk about for hours. Either way, the outcome of the video would be the same conclusion, but with more arguments for rather than against.

I'm not against him being a fan of indie games. Its just odd he made a video about why he thinks the PS4 is selling more, and then talked for ages about something even he admitted isn't going to be responsible for the differences in numbers. He might as well titled it "Why I prefer the ps4"

As a member of the glorious PC master race, I don't own either of these but it seemed to me that the reason the 360 won the last gen was because MS made a console for gaming, while Sony tacked on a load of the media stuff to the PS3.

Now this time around they've both done a 180 and it's Sony who are emphasizing gaming while MS are tacking on all that media stuff. So it's little surprise that Sony are winning this time. Gamers want to play games. They already have devices to do all that other crap.

Microsoft did this because usage stats in the later years of the 360 showed that more time was being spent watching videos than spent gaming.

Exactly, regardless of the reasons, there are so many out there to pick that the end result is the same. Take all the reasons and put them together to equal one big fail moment. Its a failure of a new launch and the people have spoken.

Spending hours to break down this stuff is a huge waste of time when you don't even need that much time to spell it out.

Yeah, Sony was smart in how they handled pr. They tout gaming as number one while they push forward on the non gaming media side of things behind the scenes. The less they talked about that, at least at the beginning, the better.

MS made a terrible mistake leading with discussion of non gaming media features.

Take all the reasons and put them together to equal one big fail moment. Its a failure of a new launch and the people have spoken.

I don't own either and I personally don't have a stake in this either way (master race, thank you) but millions of units is hardly a failure by any stretch. Getting outsold, sure no arguments there. But fail? Wish I could fail as bad as that. If anyone failed hard, I'd be looking at that other Japanese company.

I don't own either and I personally don't have a stake in this either way (master race, thank you) but millions of units is hardly a failure by any stretch. Getting outsold, sure no arguments there. But fail? Wish I could fail as bad as that. If anyone failed hard, I'd be looking at that other Japanese company.

Sure, if you want to look at the numbers, but that is not what this is about. Its about the pr win and who is winning the messaging war.

Sony has so solidly won the pr side and their messaging has so dominated the online community (which trickles down to gamers on the outside), that its as if MS has failed and only the sales numbers give any possible idea that it might not be.

Microsoft did this because usage stats in the later years of the 360 showed that more time was being spent watching videos than spent gaming.

And this was down to the fact that first party ips took a nose dive off a cliff. Also the people who bought it solely for Netflix did so when it was cheap. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out they're not going to buy a $500 console. Id really like to see the people behind the initial reveal explain themselves because what they put together was downright shambolic. One of the worst reveals for a product I've witnessed.
  • Like 1

And this was down to the fact that first party ips took a nose dive off a cliff. Also the people who bought it solely for Netflix did so when it was cheap. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out they're not going to buy a $500 console. Id really like to see the people behind the initial reveal explain themselves because what they put together was downright shambolic. One of the worst reveals for a product I've witnessed.

Its weird too because if they had just moved that media event until say after E3, I think most people would not have found much fault with it. MS just chose poorly.

The moral of the story is to reveal the gaming stuff first or don't have an event for non-gaming features at all. Let that stuff roll out in commercials or internet based announcements.

I'm not against him being a fan of indie games. Its just odd he made a video about why he thinks the PS4 is selling more, and then talked for ages about something even he admitted isn't going to be responsible for the differences in numbers. He might as well titled it "Why I prefer the ps4"

Alternatively making a video and just saying 1 out performs the other and comparing prices isn't of much value and would have resulted in a 30 second video. We've known those facts since last summer, they don't need to be brought up as it's pretty obvious already. Comparing exclusives is a no-go since it's subjective, so you're then left with other topics like the relation with indies and paywalls/PSN/XBL.

Alternatively making a video and just saying 1 out performs the other and comparing prices isn't of much value and would have resulted in a 30 second video. We've known those facts since last summer, they don't need to be brought up as it's pretty obvious already. Comparing exclusives is a no-go since it's subjective, so you're then left with other topics like the relation with indies and paywalls/PSN/XBL.

I'm not sure 'value' is the right tag to put on these youtube videos. Its more entertainment than 'value' in the sense of serious discussions.

Besides, all of those topics has already been brought up, so if you are going to bring them up now, you add some flair or something that will attract viewers. That can be with humor or parody/raging/etc :laugh:

What's important to me about a potential indie based future is the wealth and diversity of games. A full store is a happy store. Sure Jim's point about steam greenlighting is valid but I want a console that can "rival" a PC for the amount of games at my fingertips.

AAA releases cannot provide this, especially with budgets of them closing down studios and resulting in layoffs a few times a year.

I also really wanted to post arse in a topic title and see if it was allowed :p

Take all the reasons and put them together to equal one big fail moment. Its a failure of a new launch and the people have spoken.

Not as popular != failure.  Both consoles have sold millions. One has just sold a million or two more.

Besides, these manufacturers are in it for the long haul.  Assuming Sony doesn't go bust before then, let's see how both consoles are faring 4-5 years down the line before casting a final judgment, rather than giving them just a few months.

I firmly believe the Xbox One will break back over time and the scores will even up, especially as Microsoft continue at pace to release new updates and features for it. One thing is undeniable, Microsoft is much better and rapidly updating their consoles with new features than Sony is, and at providing online services. Both of these factors will ultimately even up, if not win, the race for Xbox One over the long term... I believe.

What's important to me about a potential indie based future is the wealth and diversity of games. A full store is a happy store. Sure Jim's point about steam greenlighting is valid but I want a console that can "rival" a PC for the amount of games at my fingertips.

Well we are probably still a generation away from a console that can truly rival a pc in terms of indie games. Not just quantity, but also pricing wise.

PC gaming is far ahead of consoles in areas like indie gaming, digital only marketplaces, and mod support.

I believe his point is that, while an individual indie game won't push sales like an AAA title would, a lot of them will. This basically means people have a higher chance of finding something to like.

I believe his point is that, while an individual indie game won't push sales like an AAA title would, a lot of them will. This basically means people have a higher chance of finding something to like.

I do wonder about that though.

Most indie games coming to the ps4 (or the X1 for that matter) will have already been on the pc or release to the pc at the same time. I know personally, I already played most of the indie games that have come to the ps4 on the pc so far and the couple that I had not, I waited for them to show up on ps+.

I do wonder if gamers outside of those that take part in the online community like myself are as excited about indie games on consoles.

I do wonder about that though.

Most indie games coming to the ps4 (or the X1 for that matter) will have already been on the pc or release to the pc at the same time. I know personally, I already played most of the indie games that have come to the ps4 on the pc so far and the couple that I had not, I waited for them to show up on ps+.

I do wonder if gamers outside of those that take part in the online community like myself are as excited about indie games on consoles.

In this case there's that old argument of some people preferring consoles for convenience or the one about not having PCs that are powerful enough (not all indies are light on resources). While I personally don't think indies are one of the big reasons for the sales difference, they are a factor nonetheless.

In this case there's that old argument of some people preferring consoles for convenience or the one about not having PCs that are powerful enough (not all indies are light on resources). While I personally don't think indies are one of the big reasons for the sales difference, they are a factor nonetheless.

Yeah I agree, I just wonder if they are factor pr wise or sales wise.

By that I mean, could the positive indie pr that Sony has received lead to more sales due to the indie games themselves, or just because Sony is seen as friendlier to developers. It would be interesting to find out how well these games actually sell, especially if they are already out on the pc.