Xbox VP Marc Whitten leaves Microsoft

See, I get that, I'm not talking about Suits going in and taking full control, I'm talking about the Xbox team working with the other teams in MS on things.  There's no reason why the Xbox team should try to do everything from top to bottom on it's own and not work together with other groups.  Take for example how the 360, to this day, iirc, still doesn't support connecting a WP device to it so you can access the media on it and play it, but from what I remember it supports others.  Things like that for example make little sense, why the 360 doesn't work well with a number of different MS products or technologies is mind boggling.  

Oh okay, I get what your saying now.  The 360 evolved into something, I honestly don't believe was planned.  It was primarily a gaming console that would be able to do some simple media/DLNA stuff .  And it just took off (which is a good thing of course)

The One is intended to be an "all in one box", and they arent shying away from this.  And this will take multiple teams from different divisions.  

I would still keep the Xbox Division in a different building (sometimes environment can affect a product).  And have the Xbox Team (Travel down the street to work)

Remember all that tension during the Sinofsky debacle??? You don't want to be around that.  Crushes morale.

My bad, I must have pasted the quote over the top of your comment when I added the stories to OP.

He's in charge of the software right? He signs off what they ship, so take for instance making yet another GoW and scrapping new IP. The guy needs a kick up the ass to bring something new to the platform and not just 1 game every blue moon.

Penello has to go. The guy is another PR nightmare and doesn't know when to shut up. It's like the rest of them saw sense last summer but he slipped through the net and still continues to cause controversey over at Gaf etc. Shane Kim left a few years ago, even before Kinect launched. Yusuf is in charge of marketing IIRC. Probably the brains behind slogans "beta tested in the future" :no:

I didn't realise we had a hand in making the console :/

Panello started off ok... I but he did nosedive quickly...

No? So you claim Microsoft changed their console and policies just for the sake of it; and not because of mostly unfounded whining of clueless customers?

The "so-called" gamers made the Xbox One a less innovative and future-proof console.

No? So you claim Microsoft changed their console and policies just for the sake of it; and not because of mostly unfounded whining of clueless customers?

The "so-called" gamers made the Xbox One a less innovative and future-proof console.

So because people don't like something it means they have unfounded reasons and are stupid?

Righto

Not getting into it, this isn't the topic for it.

• Like 1

He's in charge of the software right? He signs off what they ship, so take for instance making yet another GoW and scrapping new IP. The guy needs a kick up the ass to bring something new to the platform and not just 1 game every blue moon.

Do we really know what deals he has made or pursued? I mean are we just going off of the GoW thing or is it a string of failures?

Um, yes the community did have a hand in it. If we had not raised issues with MS, they would not have made the choices they did.

So yes, in effect we are at least partially responsible for the X1 we have today.

Note that I am not getting involved in some silly argument over drm, etc. I'm just pointing out that the community did indeed steer MS.

Do we really know what deals he has made or pursued? I mean are we just going off of the GoW thing or is it a string of failures?

Um, yes the community did have a hand in it. If we had not raised issues with MS, they would not have made the choices they did.

So yes, in effect we are at least partially responsible for the X1 we have today.

Note that I am not getting involved in some silly argument over drm, etc. I'm just pointing out that the community did indeed steer MS.

That is not what we were talking about. I said the Xbox management screwed the X1 last year, then Jarrichvdv replied to say gamers were the problem. Apprently we had a hand in the original vision of the X1 and didn't even know it is my point.

As for other games, they haven't been as public as GoW/BTS story but since he is the head of software it's safe to assume he has final say in what is greenlit and what isn't. He picks far too many sequels instead of new IP. He denies Rare the chance to make something new or even revisit old classics and religates them to Kinect titles. The man is scared to try anything other than what MS has been doing since 2001.

As for other games, they haven't been as public as GoW/BTS story but since he is the head of software it's safe to assume he has final say in what is greenlit and what isn't. He picks far too many sequels instead of new IP. He denies Rare the chance to make something new or even revisit old classics and religates them to Kinect titles. The man is scared to try anything other than what MS has been doing since 2001.

Wasn't Rare gutted before he was brought on board, or was there a new story about him denying the current Rare team the chance to create a new ip?

Does Quantum Break or Sunset Overdrive count since they are exclusives? I would imagine he was involved with those to secure the deal.

Wasn't Rare gutted before he was brought on board, or was there a new story about him denying the current Rare team the chance to create a new ip?

Does Quantum Break or Sunset Overdrive count since they are exclusives? I would imagine he was involved with those to secure the deal.

Rare is definitely gutted compared to the hey days and more since but they were religated to Kinect games from 2009 onwards (including NXE avatar duties). Kameo and Viva Pinata were great games IMO, the latter especially, but they didn't sell and I guess MS lost confidence they could do anything else.

And yeah QB and Sunset definitely count, not sure why anyone would say otherwise. The problem is they are few and far between compared to the annual Halo, Fable, Forza and Gears releases. But we're retreading old topics again; I just think he needs a boot up the ass or someone fresh needs to come in.

Rare is definitely gutted compared to the hey days and more since but they were religated to Kinect games from 2009 onwards (including NXE avatar duties). Kameo and Viva Pinata were great games IMO, the latter especially, but they didn't sell and I guess MS lost confidence they could do anything else.

And yeah QB and Sunset definitely count, not sure why anyone would say otherwise. The problem is they are few and far between compared to the annual Halo, Fable, Forza and Gears releases. But we're retreading old topics again; I just think he needs a boot up the ass or someone fresh needs to come in.

We don't know what else is in the works, we're just going off of what we have so far and calling it everything.  I think we need to wait for E3 before we discount things that could be in the works already.

Penello has to go. The guy is another PR nightmare and doesn't know when to shut up. It's like the rest of them saw sense last summer but he slipped through the net and still continues to cause controversey over at Gaf etc. Shane Kim left a few years ago, even before Kinect launched. Yusuf is in charge of marketing IIRC. Probably the brains behind slogans "beta tested in the future" :no:

What did Panello do to earn this scorn heh heh? He was pretty cool, made it clear importing was fine, that they were relaxing all restrictions etc. I thought that was very nice for many people around the world. Seems like a standup guy. Bete tested in the future is a poor slogan...beta testing isn't something to be mentioned in mottos...period. But Yusuf has his heart in the right place, i think.