Finally bought a Wii U

Thanks. As long as Smash Bros and Mario Kart support normal pro controllers I'm fine with purchasing a Wii U. I'm only buying it for those two games anyways. Other games are just bonuses really.

Why don't you buy a 3DS with Mario Kart 7 and then buy the 3DS version of Smash Bros? (When it's out) :huh:

Why don't you buy a 3DS with Mario Kart 7 and then buy the 3DS version of Smash Bros? (When it's out) :huh:

because he doesn't want to play Mario Kart on a tiny hand held ?

I want to play with my friends on my big HDTV. That's the whole point, I thought.

Tiny? The 3DS XL certainly isn't tiny.

It's not 50+ inches holding a comfortable controller in your good chair/sofa though ;)

and even though it's the "same" game, that's only partially true. 

It's not 50+ inches holding a comfortable controller in your good chair/sofa though ;)

and even though it's the "same" game, that's only partially true. 

It may not be, but it certainly isn't tiny. Just try and make it fit in your pocket without it sticking out. :laugh:

I know. I was just wondering why he wasn't going for the similar cheaper alternative and now I know why. :)

Hawk - don't you like the feel of the gamepad? I loved it the second i first held it. Sounds kinky but it's true. It's got nice heft to it, and the groove on the back really seals the deal. Only thing i'd change are the analogs, they're not grooved enough, unlike the superb ones on PS4/X1.

Yeah I know ZombiU isn't much of a single player experience in the traditional sense, but from my short time with it, really felt like Condemned meets Manhunt meets Dead Island, which was really awesome. Plus it's a remake of a golden oldie from the late 80's, so why not?

X also looks like a really nice product, one more reason to get a Wii U! Please stop!

Can I play all the games for Wii U with the normal pro controllers or does Nintendo force it on you? The big gamepad looks retarded to play on and I have no interest in it. 

It looks big but it's actually pretty nice and comfortable to use.

Hawk - don't you like the feel of the gamepad? I loved it the second i first held it. Sounds kinky but it's true. It's got nice heft to it, and the groove on the back really seals the deal. Only thing i'd change are the analogs, they're not grooved enough, unlike the superb ones on PS4/X1.

Yeah I know ZombiU isn't much of a single player experience in the traditional sense, but from my short time with it, really felt like Condemned meets Manhunt meets Dead Island, which was really awesome. Plus it's a remake of a golden oldie from the late 80's, so why not?

X also looks like a really nice product, one more reason to get a Wii U! Please stop!

I don't mind the gamepad, It would have been nice if I could game untether for a while and if I could use it in the next room or the floor below but... as a controller I don't mind it, I'd rather have the 360 pad. What I mind are games that insist on using it for stupid stuff like Mario U. 

I don't mind the gamepad, It would have been nice if I could game untether for a while and if I could use it in the next room or the floor below but... as a controller I don't mind it, I'd rather have the 360 pad. What I mind are games that insist on using it for stupid stuff like Mario U. 

Yes, heard from many people that as really remote controller, as you say in another room or on another floor, it doesn't work. But for my situation that's not necessary, i just plonk myself in front of the screen, so it's fine. From the little i used it, it was implemented well in ZombiU, where you need to look at it for inventory and stuff. Adds to the tension. I guess that's software-specific though, could be poorly designed in other cases.

Yes, heard from many people that as really remote controller, as you say in another room or on another floor, it doesn't work. But for my situation that's not necessary, i just plonk myself in front of the screen, so it's fine. From the little i used it, it was implemented well in ZombiU, where you need to look at it for inventory and stuff. Adds to the tension. I guess that's software-specific though, could be poorly designed in other cases.

Even in Zombie U I would have preferred the inventory to have been done on the screen with a semi trasnparent UI rather than taking my focus off the screen and breaking immersion. that doesn't even take into account the absolutely ridiculous "scanner" thing... ugh. 

Even in Zombie U I would have preferred the inventory to have been done on the screen with a semi trasnparent UI rather than taking my focus off the screen and breaking immersion. that doesn't even take into account the absolutely ridiculous "scanner" thing... ugh. 

Hahaha yes i see your point, and of course as someone who doesn't have a Wii U i defer to your judgment and am used to everything happening on one screen, but i kinda enjoyed it. At least it was something different that i could get behind, unlike what i consider to be silly motion controls.

I have to agree with this. The game seems fun (although I'm not the biggest zombie/horror/run around with a flashlight kind of gamer) but I feel like an old person typing on a computer: looking down at the pad and tapping something, then looking back up at the screen, then looking back down again. It's very ... unfamiliar.

• Like 1

I have to agree with this. The game seems fun (although I'm not the biggest zombie/horror/run around with a flashlight kind of gamer) but I feel like an old person typing on a computer: looking down at the pad and tapping something, then looking back up at the screen, then looking back down again. It's very ... unfamiliar.

I kind of getting that feeling a lot regardless of what game I'm playing on the Wii U. I find myself looking at the gamepad more than anything and having to remind myself there's a TV with HD visual to look at. It's hard to not treat it like a DS for myself personally. When it comes to ZombiU I believe they wanted to add a little RP into the gameplay, as you would have to take your eyes away from your surroundings to look through a bag etc IRL. On the flip side, people don't hold guns up to their noses while shooting/reloading etc, those are the unnatural commonplaces in gaming, but they're so ingrained nobody notices or bothers to question it.

Heh heh yes, games would have you believe everyone inspects their weapon at face level while reloading. And bullets are individually counted, not by magazine. Still, wish i could justify a Wii U :cry:

I kind of getting that feeling a lot regardless of what game I'm playing on the Wii U. I find myself looking at the gamepad more than anything and having to remind myself there's a TV with HD visual to look at. It's hard to not treat it like a DS for myself personally. When it comes to ZombiU I believe they wanted to add a little RP into the gameplay, as you would have to take your eyes away from your surroundings to look through a bag etc IRL. On the flip side, people don't hold guns up to their noses while shooting/reloading etc, those are the unnatural commonplaces in gaming, but they're so ingrained nobody notices or bothers to question it.

Other games have managed to do that fine on the screen. have an animation pof the player taking of his backpack and kneel in front of it looking down into it and overlay the inventory screen. 

Also most games I play reload isn't done with the gun up in front of you.

Silly question , is it backwards comparable with wii games?

Yes. It has a Wii Mode and you can pair your wii motes to it. 4 in total, I think. However, I think you need to buy a sensor bar. Some Wii U bundles come with one.

I think it is also compatible with a lot of other Wii peripherals (wii fit, etc.)

Yes, it's compatible with all official wii accessories and games. The deluxe bundles do come with a sensor bar, can't remember about the basic ones. The gamepad also has a built in sensor bar in that dark strip where the camera is.

I actually felt the exact opposite about the GamePad and ZombiU when it was first released, thought it made complete sense how they used it...

The use of the WiiU's GamePad in this game is about as good of a use that I can possibly imagine a launch title having, and honestly I think it is probably going to go down as one of the overall better uses of the GamePad period. It is without a doubt an enhancement and an extension to the gameplay, and hardly ever feels gimmicky. The only corny use of it so far has been planks on doors, in which you have to tap to remove them. Everything else makes perfect sense. The inventory management element, you look down when you loot most corpses and cabinets, it also is the environment scanner... All of these elements really make great use of the GamePad itself. And they do add a level of tension to the game as well.

Wrapped my face in a ski mask and robbed a couple of socialites; used the proceeds to buy Super Mario 3D World. Nintendo gaming causes violence!

Just kidding. Picked up Super Mario 3D World with honest earned cash. I haven't played it yet, but I am sure I will love it.

I love the Mario series (it's why I think past accusations of me being anti- Ninty is so absurd. I love Nintendo & their franchises.). On my 3DS I've played:

Mario and Luigi Dream Team Bros

Mario Kart 7

Paper Mario Sticker Star

Suoer Mario 3D Land

New Super Mario Bros 2

New Super Mario Bros.

I am looking forward to Super Mario 3D World. :D