Finally bought a Wii U

Yes. It's true. I, compl3x, alleged Nintendo hater, (can hardly type that with a straight face) has finally purchased a Wii U. I got a Skylanders bundle. I have no real interest in Skylanders but that was the bundle that was on sale. I have a copy of ZombieU which I bought awhile ago when it was on sale.

First impression: wow that menu is laggy. I thought people were exaggerating but it does seem to take a while to get from thing to thing. Gamepad is actually pretty nice. I also bought a case for the pad so that should help reduce marks on that white plastic.

And so on.

pHuEGTOl.jpg

• Like 2

i love my Wii U, the games are excellent, they are very crisp looking it's nice that the games are 1080p which is ironic given all the bashing the console faced at launch for it's graphics.

It's a real family/friends console too, the xbox is good but its more of an internet facing console, the wiiu is much easier to gather friends and famiyl around a single screen.

When I am not poor I will grab Troipical freeze and probably a Mario game.

Has anyone played Skylanders? Is it any good? I'm too tired to play anything tonight. I thought about trading it in. If it is decent I'll at least play it first.

I don't find the OS to be that bad tbh. Sure it could be faster but it's not like "omgbad" like the internet tries to tell you(if you want 'omgbad' kind of slow start up the ps store on ps3. ugh.). People also exaggerate the battery life of the gamepad by quoting the worst case scenario as the best case. Which is to say no, 3 hours is not accurate at all unless you have the gamepad set to blind you with brightness.

Yeah, it's noticeable, but not intolerable. I totally agree about the PS3 store; that is ridiculous. I can literally get up, get a drink, come back and it is still on that start image.

I can't comment on the game-pad battery life. Where I sit and play has easy access to a power outlet so I am not too concerned about battery life, anyway.

:dizzy: Very jealous! But congratulations...would get a Wii U in a split second just to play ZombiU if i could justify it...after PS4/X1 it would just be too corrupt to go and pick the third option AS WELL :argh:

Please allow me to live vicariously...post your impressions of ZombiU especially...i love that game even though i can't enjoy it! (visiting other people's living rooms doesn't count).

Its a first party console..

Aside from that, Nintendo make quite good games. New Super Mario Bros U, pikmin 3, Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze, Super Mario 3D world, Soon-to-release Mario kart, vWii backward compatibility/hacking. I recently bought a 8GB model due to these geing the ONLY games I would really be playing on it, least for now. $6 for the charging cradle and the lack of 32GB use let me save $140 or so which paid for 2 of the 5 titles.

:dizzy: Very jealous! But congratulations...would get a Wii U in a split second just to play ZombiU if i could justify it...after PS4/X1 it would just be too corrupt to go and pick the third option AS WELL :argh:

Please allow me to live vicariously...post your impressions of ZombiU especially...i love that game even though i can't enjoy it! (visiting other people's living rooms doesn't count).

Heh. I will do a quick write-up of ZombieU after I give it a play.

Its a first party console..

Aside from that, Nintendo make quite good games. New Super Mario Bros U, pikmin 3, Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze, Super Mario 3D world, Soon-to-release Mario kart, vWii backward compatibility/hacking. I recently bought a 8GB model due to these geing the ONLY games I would really be playing on it, least for now. $6 for the charging cradle and the lack of 32GB use let me save $140 or so which paid for 2 of the 5 titles.

Yeah, it certainly is a firtst party console. I doubt I will buy outside of those titl;es you mentioned. The exception being Bayonetta 2

• Like 2

One odd thing I noticed is that when a disc in in the drive and the Wii U is off it has a white LED lit up. I don't know the point of having another light on the front to tell you there is a disc in the system when it is off :s

comL3x    

to your thing about the menus  well  i can assure  you that  you would have really found it a pain a year ago  as nintendo has improved it allot.  it used to take for example 50sec  to 2mins  on some things   at launch  or close to  now it is down allot.  

but as you will see once you play around with the system  at how damn cool it really is all the little things  you will find  also Download  Wii U street view and play around with that  also the  Panorama  demo thing   really shows the system off  

I don't find the OS to be that bad tbh. Sure it could be faster but it's not like "omgbad" like the internet tries to tell you(if you want 'omgbad' kind of slow start up the ps store on ps3. ugh.). People also exaggerate the battery life of the gamepad by quoting the worst case scenario as the best case. Which is to say no, 3 hours is not accurate at all unless you have the gamepad set to blind you with brightness.

If you compared to any other console where getting to the system menu is instant, then it is pretty omgbad :p

But at least he doesn't have to know how horrible it was a year ago now :) 

I haven't gotten skylanders myself yet, but have been wanting to get one of them, since they seem like fin like platform adventure games. As for ZombieU... eh... personally I find it boring and annoying with the constant insistance on using the pad for stuff that would be better served by using the game screen and less immersive breaking as well. I also don't connect well with a game that doesn't have a game character, it's basically meaningless gameplay with no real story, as such I haven't gotten very far yet as I just can't play it for very long. 

Pick up the new Mario game and the remake of Duck Tales, it's the best enjoyment you can get out of it. and they can be played solely on the pad, which is a benefit if your GF is watching something boring :p

Tropical Freeze is a must own.

Super Mario 3D World is a great game.

I also enjoyed ZombiU.

I hear Wind Walker HD is good, I have yet to check it out although I do own it (I got that bundle for my WiiU).

I really purchased the WiiU for Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze and Mario Kart 8.

That may sound crazy to some, but the original DKC game holds a very special place in my gaming past.

So yeah, everything else was just gravy to me.

• Like 2

I'd get Super Mario 3D World for sure. Not so sure about Tropical Freeze, the load times are so bad I'm wondering if my disc might be defective.

While nintendo have never been able to do GUIs properly (there's no reason for it to be that laggy) - I love the Wii U. The games on it are fun, and I really love the gamepad (I think it's great that I can walk downstairs and continue my game).

Menu load times are prob my biggest problem... believe it or not they used to be worse (before the first big update).  As many other already said

Mario World 3d is great

Tropical freeze is class DKC at its best

Lego City was a great fun game... but the load times are some of the worst in gaming history

Def try and pickup NintendoLand for under $10.. lots of fun games that make use of the gamepad

Has anyone played Skylanders? Is it any good? I'm too tired to play anything tonight. I thought about trading it in. If it is decent I'll at least play it first.

I have been playing Skylanders (original Spyro's adventure) with my 5 (almost 6) year old son on our Wii, and it's actually a lot of fun. It's simple enough for a child, but also fun enough for adults. Beware that it can be a bit of a money pit, but I've been fortunate enough to find some deals on additional skylanders packs, and my son has used some of his money to buy more characters as well. He's planning to buy the 2nd game (Giants) with his birthday money.

I enjoy my Wii U, and compared to the original Wii U OS, the current version of the menu is light speeds faster then it was before.

Also good you didn't have to suffer from the first system update from version 1.0... that was tedious. 

Still room for improvement.

I also loved the Wii -> Wii U data transfer programs animation sequences.

Little Inferno is a great indie game that perfect for the Wii U game pad.

If you have the deluxe, don't forget to sign up with the Deluxe Digital Promotion.

https://p.nintendo.net/deluxe/

I'm also extremly psyched / awaiting the relase of monolith's "X" game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imMF95Ugvwg

The skylanders bundle is a basic(8GB) wii u, so it wont have the deluxe promo with it.

Yup. But I appreciate the reminder nonetheless :)

I think I will pick up that 3D mario before I get a DK game.

Is it true that DK: TP doesn't make use of the gamepad at al? Kind of strange.

Yes, aside from off-tv play it doesn't do anything special with the gamepad.

Nintendo already stop production of this console... they are preparing Wii U v2 to be released later this year

You mean a hardware revision of the console or do you think they are making a whole new console? They won't be doing the latter.

Nintendo already stop production of this console... they are preparing Wii U v2 to be released later this year

Source? Genuine curious.

I know they stopped making the basic unit and only making the deluxe model at the moment.

Are you signed up for Nintendo Rewards (different from the Deluxe Promotion)

https://club.nintendo.com/home.do

It works on Wii, U, DS, 3DS games w/ codes.

The new Mario game is really good. If you enjoyed past Mario games you'll love it.