Your favourite documentaries?

I want to add some docos to my library and I thought I would see what people on here like. I am happy to take suggestions about any topic (history, war, space, nature, etc.) but please no conspiracy stuff. I don't want to watch "documentaries" about the Moon Landing being a Hoax or deranged paranoid theories about 9/11, please.

Thanks all.

Man Vs Wild or Top Gear? Just kidding.

National Geographic: Weirdest Planets, Dangerous Companions, Megafactories, Megastructures, Gangs in prison, Cocaine Wars, Taboo Drugs, heaps of others.

What topics are you interested in?

David Attenborough. If he's narrating, it's an awesome documentary. The Blue Planet, Frozen Planet and Planet Earth are incredible, but there are plenty of others that I've yet to get hold of.

Also, Brian Cox's two series. Wonders of the Solar System and Wonders of the Universe.

Finally, Andrew Marr's History of the World is an interesting take on some important moments in history.

I'm looking forward to hearing other options. I seem to remember making a similar thread a year ago or so. Sadly it didn't get as much attention as I was hoping.

• Thanks 1

• 4 years later...

Stare Into The Lights My Pretties (2017) 

Spoiler

We live in a world of screens. The average adult spends the majority of their waking hours in front of some sort of screen or device. We're enthralled, we're addicted to these machines. How did we get here? Who benefits? What are the cumulative impacts on people, society and the environment? What may come next if this culture is left unchecked, to its end trajectory, and is that what we want? *Stare Into The Lights My Pretties* investigates these questions with an urge to return to the real physical world, to form a critical view of technological escalation driven by rapacious and pervasive corporate interest. Covering themes of addiction, privacy, surveillance, information manipulation, behaviour modification and social control, the film lays the foundations as to why we may feel like we're sleeprunning into some dystopian nightmare with the machines at the helm. Because we are, if we don't seriously avert our eyes to stop this culture from destroying what is left of the real world.

Offline Is The New Luxury (2016)

Spoiler

To be online all the time and everywhere. It sounds great, but it has its drawbacks. As digital networks are closing in, there are fewer places to be really on your own. Being offline is becoming a luxury. Where can you be offline?

We are connected to the internet even in our bedrooms. It’s the ambition of companies like Google and Facebook to connect the entire world, so that we can be online all the time and everywhere. Google has sent balloons up into the skies over Sri Lanka to provide the island state with free Wi-Fi for a month. On the ground, more and more devices communicate through the so-called Internet-of-Things.

We are going to be ‘glass citizens’ in a transparent house, connected for life to a wireless intravenous drip and traced anywhere via our smartphones. What does it mean? A small but growing group of people is saying goodbye to lifetime connectability. They are researching ways to keep control. What can we learn from them about life in the digital era?

With: Paul Frissen (political scientist), Sherry Turkle (psychologist MIT), Evgeny Morozov (internet critic) and Birgitta Jonsdottir (hacker & founder Pirate Party) Originally broadcasted by VPRO in 2016.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just watched Death Of A Nation and it was terrific.

On 3/18/2014 at 7:23 AM, vanx said:

Oliver Stone's Untold History of the United States was quite captivating when I saw it last year.

Yeah I just watched that one. Really well done.

On 10/21/2018 at 4:57 PM, patseguin said:

Yeah I just watched that one. Really well done.

In case you want more :)

32 Documentaries About War That the US Government Doesn't Want You to See

"These documentaries expose the ugly truth about war and the governments who wage them. The US government is focused on in this collection because I am based in the US, and it is every citizen's duty to call out and name the crimes of their government. It's all too easy to decry the injustices of other countries while remaining silent when those crimes are committed by our own. But nothing good has ever come from silence when the truth is marginalized and lies are amplified."

22 Documentaries That Tell the Truth About How Government Really Works

"Pretty much everyone is aware to some extent how corrupt and dysfunctional the US political system has become. "Has become" is a bit misleading though. As several of these films will show, there was no true 'golden age' of American politics. Those who "want to make America great again" will find that the true history of America doesn't exactly offer shining models to go back to. And those who are generally aware of the troubling aspects of our past and present will be shocked to discover just how bad and crazy it gets. It's the depths and the degree that most people still aren't aware of. "

87 Deeply Subversive Documentaries That Challenge the Status Quo

"Sadly, you are not likely to see these documentaries in school, broadcast on television, or available on Netflix. The subversive nature of these films, which deeply challenge all aspects of the status quo, means that the internet is really the main avenue where these films are available. By collecting them all in one place, we hope they can be watched and shared widely, as they truly deserve to be."

Edited by nagokod

• 1 month later...

Yuri Bezmenov: Deception Was My Job

This is G. Edward Griffin's shocking video interview, Soviet Subversion of the Free-World Press (1984), where he interviews ex-KGB officer and Soviet defector Yuri Bezmenov who decided to openly reveal KGB's subversive tactics against western society as a whole.

Bezmenov explains how Jewish Marxist ideology is destabilizing the economy and purposefully pushing the U.S. into numerous crises so that a "Big Brother" tyranny can be put into place in Washington, how most Americans don't even realize that they are under attack, and that normal parliamentary procedures will not alter the federal government's direction.

He then explains how Marxist leaders use informers to make lists of anti-Communist and other politically incorrect people who they want to execute once they - actually a Jewish oligarchy - come to power. The oligarch's secret lists include "civil rights" activists and idealistically-minded "useful idiot" leftists as well.

Bezmenov provides several real world examples of how Marxist leaders even execute and/or imprison each other. Also he explains how American embassy employees were known to betray Soviets attempting to defect, how there existed a "triangle of hate" in the Soviet government, why he realized that Marxism-Leninism was a murderous doctrine, and how the CIA ignored (or didn't care) about Communist subversion.

He also mentions that revolutions throughout history are never the result of a majority movement, but of a small dedicated and highly-organized group who seize power, whether for good or bad. Next he explains how the American mass media spread lies about life in the Soviet Union.

Bezmenov also explains how the LOOK magazine article falsely claimed that the Russian people were proud of their victory in the Second World War, where in reality the Judeo-Bolshevik-Communist-Marxist government was happy that Hitler had been defeated so that they could remain in power.

Find out how the KGB utilized various individuals to undermine the Western society in its morals and values.

Watch it on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3qkf3bajd4

Love the nature shows that David Attenborough does. 

Blue Planet, Plant Earth and more recently Dynasties 

• 1 month later...