Nvidia Quadro K6000 (Theoretical Comparison)

This thread got me thinking... With so many variants, so many different vendors, and basically my not knowing my arse from my elbow when it comes to such things...

What kind of gaming could this card handle?

Yes, I am aware this is not a gaming card, and it's more suited to CAD, and movies, and so on, but basically, <insert whatever flagship consumer gaming card here> (and take the cost out of the equation and assume one has a flagship 8 or 12 core beast rig)

How would this compare?

Would it struggle with things the 690 or 780 or equivalent AMD/ATI gaming cards handle in their stride?

Would it decimate them?

(assuming the usual driver suites would be compatible w/e)

It would be very similar for gaming as long as the drivers weren't suffering. I think the GTX690 SHOULD be better performing for gaming in practice due to it being a dual die card. Don't quote me on that though.

At the end of the day, it's the same micro-architecture, it is just paired with different drivers, and more memory.

EDIT: To expand upon this, there are cases where there isn't feature-set parity between the consumer and professional drivers. For example, an older professional ATI card lacked dual monitor support (maybe it wasn't dual monitor, that doesn't make sense in my head, I can't remember exactly) using the professional drivers and there was physical mod for it to user consumer drivers to enable this feature.

EDIT2: I was referring to the following... It was Nvidia and missing features from the Linux non-professional drivers: http://hackaday.com/2013/03/18/hack-removes-firmware-crippling-from-nvidia-graphics-card/

So, a bit of what I said above is incorrect.

• Like 1

That made for some interesting reading though that link

Which is partly one of the reasons for starting this thread, 'your' (as the manufacturer) top of the line flagship uber graphics card should be all it can be, and not hardware retarded just because some may use it in a non windows machine.

That made for some interesting reading though that link

Which is partly one of the reasons for starting this thread, 'your' (as the manufacturer) top of the line flagship uber graphics card should be all it can be, and not hardware retarded just because some may use it in a non windows machine.

Probably indicates a lack of any real development on the part of the NV devs in supporting consumer cards on Linux. No real reason they couldn't drop the supporting code into the consumer drivers if they wanted to.

• Like 1