Intel NUC DCCP847DYE : Celeron 847 : Such a cute little machine.

For a while now i've been running my Quickbooks off a laptop sitting behind my monitors with the lid closed accessing it via RDP on the lan. It's a machine that's never been on the internet and only has Quickbooks and Office installed. Doesn't even have flash.

The Laptop worked great, but If that laptop were to up and die I would kind of like a fall back. So I bought 2 Intel NUC DCCP847DYE's. 1 as a spare in case the other one dies. I bought 4GB 4 DDR3 as well as a 64GB msata drive.

The computer is insanely easy to assemble. There are 4 screws on the bottom and then the bottom pops off. Then you just slip in the ram and the SSD and screw it back up.

They come in Celeron, i3 and i5. I bought this one because it has to do is run Quickbooks and Outlook. Nothing Fancy.

The Celeron is about 12 Watts Idle and 23 Watts Load and retails for $144 bare bones (Gotta include the RAM, msata and wireless card if you want wireless)

3 USB 2.0 ports 2 back 1 front

2 HDMI which can support dual monitors I've heard

1 Gigabit Ethernet Port

No audio out other than over HDMI I would imagine.

13254273264_d7f0cea2e5_c.jpg

13253911075_244ff7eb10_c.jpg

13254252864_f0cbccf655_c.jpg

13254003433_1237917115_c.jpg

This photo is upside down because the bottom of the computer was off.

13254182774_181beb8737_c.jpg

13254399994_cc87132181_c.jpg

The Interactive Bios is top notch.

13253970713_7e6d690c35_c.jpg

13254638625_c2e847bfe5_c.jpg

We use similar models at work.  They work great to attach to the back of a large display.  They also sell wireless modules for them.

We have fun with those intel noise boxes to. Hide them places.

Ugh, this thing is calling to me as an impulse buy, but I have no use case for it!

• Like 3

Like the Intel jingle when you opened the case? :laugh:

I have the DC3217IYR. Mine is an i3. Bought a Mushkin 30GB SSD and 4GB RAM. Have it sitting behind one of my monitors, have it running my minecraft test server. It's great. :D

Like the Intel jingle when you opened the case? :laugh:

I have the DC3217IYR. Mine is an i3. Bought a Mushkin 30GB SSD and 4GB RAM. Have it sitting behind one of my monitors, have it running my minecraft test server. It's great. :D

they can give you the Intel jingle but not a power cord

they can give you the Intel jingle but not a power cord

I got the power cord off monoprice, easy.

I got the power cord off monoprice, easy.

Yes, I ordered mine on Amazon with the order, but if you didn't know that you might be annoyed it didn't even come with the proper cords so you could even turn the device on.

If I didn't have my two media centers yet. the bigger models off these with a i3 or i5 room for a proper HDD, fan cooled and with an IR receiver would be my device of choice. 

But my Shuttle box is finally working on the upstairs home cinema now and my good old self built HTPC/Server is doing it's job in the downstairs living room, needs to have it's fans replaced with new ones though. 

I've got the 1st box done and the 2nd box cloned from the first box. I'm in love with this little guy!

warwagon can you post amazon share links to each item you ordered?

Intel NUC

http://amzn.com/B00B7I8HZ4

Crucial 4GB Single DDR3 1600 MT/s (PC3-12800)

http://amzn.com/B005LDLV6S

MyDigitalSSD 64GB (60GB) 50mm Bullet Proof 4 BP4 50mm mSATA

http://amzn.com/B00B3X72TU

C2G / Cables to Go - 27400 - 6ft 3-Slot Notebook Power Cord

http://amzn.com/B0000AOWXO

• 3 weeks later...

13254638625_c2e847bfe5_c.jpg

So I just bought 2 of these

10155918_10152298561437768_8905284876827

1 to keep my web server / voice mail server / security camera computer up and running with the power up i(t was sharing one with my main workstation and 3 routers)

and 1 keeps everything you see in the photo above which includes the Intel NUC in this thread, a 42 port IP KVM, A KVM user console and a POE networked switch and 3 POE 1080 cameras. With everything I just listed i'm getting a estimated up time of 66 minutes. Obviously it will be less than that but still impressive. That little NUC really must be power efficient.

May I ask what model that is? I might get something like that.

Edit: ^UPS

Dang... That's cheap...

I went to go see if walmart had one. It was $35 and and i'm pretty sure that UPS I linked you to weighs AT LEAST 3 times as much as the $35 one from walmart. :laugh:

There was one dumb son of a bitch that reduced a star from his Amazon review because his UPS was heavy!

Well, heavy can mean that it has a lot of juice. I got one before, it was a "box of junk" from Woot. It wouldn't work, so I took it to a battery store, and they got nothing out of the battery. All it's weight was probably from the steel shell.

Looks pretty sweet.  Would have liked to have seen those a year or so ago before I built another machine.

A NUC makes for a great "hideaway" or "guest" PC (and nothing says it can't be both) - as long as it has enough USB ports you don't even need an internal drive of any sort. USB keyboard, USB mouse, and USB thumb drive to boot and/or run your OS of choice and you're golden.  If you DID use an mSATA drive (such as the Plextor M6m), then any OS under the moon (let alone sun) could be installed. (Literally - look at the NUC hardware and compare it with supported hardware for almost any OS - including Linux distributions or Android x86 for the truly perverse; a NUC, even the lowest-end one, can run any or all.) Micro-formfactor, basically.

Ugh, this thing is calling to me as an impulse buy, but I have no use case for it!

I can think of several use cases for them - the biggest one is guest PCs (visiting family in particular) with external drives pre-loaded with any of several OSes (from Knoppix and Android USB sticks to - in the supremely-silly case - Windows and a selection of F2P MMOs, such as Rift, DCUO, Planetside 2, etc.  The current midrange NUC (i3-driven) is about where Kentsfield was - and you CAN run Windows 8.1 on Kentsfield today.  Hang a USB keyboard/mouse on a NUC as well (wired OR wireless) and all you need is a display - which need not be fancy - a TV will do.

I remember when Shuttle XPC's used to impress me with their form factor, NUC's have taken that place.

I remember when Shuttle XPC's used to impress me with their form factor, NUC's have taken that place.

Kind of different though shuttle actually can fit a full size graphics card and it has active cooling so the CPU won't get throttled and it won't be quite as noisy as some of the NUCs can get with the tiny high speed fan.

NUC great from pure HTPCs and pure home PC use. If you need or want some gaming, you'll want the shuttle XPC's.

Does the case include the motherboard and processor? The amazon page is woefully lacking in detail.

It seems like it includes a power supply at least, but why doesn't it include a power cord?

Does the case include the motherboard and processor? The amazon page is woefully ambiguous.

It seems like it includes a power supply at least, but why doesn't it include a power cord?

NUC is everything you need except the SSD/HDD(and depending on model the power cord).

XPC's are everything except CPU, memory and HDD/SSD

Because they wanted to put the money toward the box playing the Intel logo when you open it instead.

NUC is everything you need except the SSD/HDD(and depending on model the power cord).

XPC's are everything except CPU, memory and HDD/SSD

You also need to add RAM to the NUC.

• Like 1