He predicts the PS4 will be a wild-success after it already is dominating the sales charts, he predicts Titanfall 2 would not be a Microsoft exclusive after EA announce titanfall 2 would not be a Microsoft exclusive.

I guess in that way he is kind of like a psychic: he proves his abilities by claiming he knew something was going to happen after it happens.

Personally I can not wait for the VR headset, that being said he might have a point on it. It will take some time to take off for sure.

I would love to see the Morpheus as early as Q1 2015... I doubt it will happen in 2014, and honestly I don't have high hopes that it will happen in 2015 as well..

• 4 weeks later...

Project Morpheus, Sony's PlayStation 4 virtual reality helmet, is much better than expected

http://www.polygon.com/2014/3/19/5526966/project-morpheus-sonys-playstation-4-virtual-reality-helmet-is-much

The post-Oculus world has a minimum level of quality for virtual reality that new products have to at least match, if not clear, and Sony?s push into console-based virtual reality could poison the well for other companies if their high-profile hardware isn?t up to the task.

Luckily, it works well. Very well.

Sony_Project_Morpheus_35873300-2901-013_

Sony's challenge was to prove that it could do virtual reality as well as the Oculus Rift, and they passed that test with ease.

The display looks wonderful, the demos were running at 60 frames per second, the screens looked just about as good as the Rift Development Kit 2, and the issues with light bleed and field of view can be fixed with a different fitting around the eyes and a slightly different display.

Sony has nailed the hard parts of virtual reality, and now it's just a matter of finishing the hardware and shoring up software support. Based on these early demos, they're onto something special.

272262-DSC01202.jpg

There already is a mropheus topic, why make a new one ? 

As for performance. Sterescopic rendering requires slightly more than a normal scene, but not as much as you'd think. a lot of resources are shared for both left and right 

there are 2 games off the top of my head i'd love to play with the morpheus. Thief & Borderlands

• 5 weeks later...

The hype train for VR is certainly nearing critical levels. Sony is certainly going to cash in on that big time.

Its interesting that the article posted makes a big deal about the Move controllers, even to suggest that they be bundled.

I think bundling would probably cause too much negative backlash, so keep it separate. It'll be very interesting to see if Sony can make this a big deal. People are holding this up as the next revolution in gaming, so there is a lot to live up to. Will this be the moment that VR really catches on long term, or will it slowly fade away again until better tech arrives.

The hype train for VR is certainly nearing critical levels. Sony is certainly going to cash in on that big time.

Its interesting that the article posted makes a big deal about the Move controllers, even to suggest that they be bundled.

I think bundling would probably cause too much negative backlash, so keep it separate. It'll be very interesting to see if Sony can make this a big deal. People are holding this up as the next revolution in gaming, so there is a lot to live up to. Will this be the moment that VR really catches on long term, or will it slowly fade away again until better tech arrives.

Are you saying that because of Kinect? If so... 

Sony currently bundle their camera as well, there is no backlash as there is an option to buy without. That changes everything. There is nothing wrong with bundling when there are alternative options, after all the Kinect arguments I'm sure you know that trooper.

Are you saying that because of Kinect? If so... 

Sony currently bundle their camera as well, there is no backlash as there is an option to buy without. That changes everything. There is nothing wrong with bundling when there are alternative options, after all the Kinect arguments I'm sure you know that trooper.

Why bring up Kinect? I didn't mention that at all. Maybe its time to move on from that stuff? Seems like some people are too focused on it.

My point was that if you bundle the move controllers with their headset, its going to result in an even more expensive package. Unless they plan to eat some big losses up front, a package with those controllers could easily push past $400. So if they want at least a chance for more mainstream adoption, they should offer multiple options in order to offer their headset at the cheapest price possible.

Now, if Sony were to decide that having move controllers was a must in order to offer a good experience, then maybe you consider a single bundle, but they would need to be very confident in that.

Why bring up Kinect? I didn't mention that at all. Maybe its time to move on from that stuff? Seems like some people are too focused on it.

My point was that if you bundle the move controllers with their headset, its going to result in an even more expensive package. Unless they plan to eat some big losses up front, a package with those controllers could easily push past $400. So if they want at least a chance for more mainstream adoption, they should offer multiple options in order to offer their headset at the cheapest price possible.

Now, if Sony were to decide that having move controllers was a must in order to offer a good experience, then maybe you consider a single bundle, but they would need to be very confident in that.

Because you mentioned bundling and negative backlash. The only negative backlash surrounding bundling has been with Kinect.

Sony are obviously going to offer multiple options, they already have with the PS4 launch. There will most likely be a bundle with a little off RRP, that's how bundles work. I picked up my Killzone SF PS4 bundle at launch with 2 DS4's and the camera for ?429. You'd pay more for the extra DS4, KZ SF and Camera and PS4 separately.

When not forced they are viable solutions to individuals that want them, that's always been the case for the past 10 years. The only issue that ever arises with bundling is when it isn't an option, it's the only choice.

Another gimmick that will probably fail. Last thing I want to do is wear a huge wired headset covering most of my head. They should just focus resources on what's important, that being the actual games.

Because you mentioned bundling and negative backlash. The only negative backlash surrounding bundling has been with Kinect.

Sony are obviously going to offer multiple options, they already have with the PS4 launch. There will most likely be a bundle with a little off RRP, that's how bundles work. I picked up my Killzone SF PS4 bundle at launch with 2 DS4's and the camera for ?429. You'd pay more for the extra DS4, KZ SF and Camera and PS4 separately.

When not forced they are viable solutions to individuals that want them, that's always been the case for the past 10 years. The only issue that ever arises with bundling is when it isn't an option, it's the only choice.

That's cool, but Kinect really doesn't play into this. I made a simple point about the article and that is all, not trying to bring Kinect into this. You seem to be trying hard to make points in response to other threads or posts, not this thread.

In fact, it sounds like you completely agree with my point, so I'm not sure why your arguing with me about it. I didn't say Sony would try to bundle their headset with the move controllers, I was just reacting to the author of the article that claimed it would be a good idea. I don't think Sony should do that and I would be very shocked if they tried that.

Another gimmick that will probably fail. Last thing I want to do is wear a huge wired headset covering most of my head. They should just focus resources on what's important, that being the actual games.

Yeah the hype sounds about the same as it always has been for Kinect and I expect it'll do about as good as Kinect, so niche, but not game changing like many people seem to think.

That's cool, but Kinect really doesn't play into this. I made a simple point about the article and that is all, not trying to bring Kinect into this. You seem to be trying hard to make points in response to other threads or posts, not this thread.

In fact, it sounds like you completely agree with my point, so I'm not sure why your arguing with me about it. I didn't say Sony would try to bundle their headset with the move controllers, I was just reacting to the author of the article that claimed it would be a good idea. I don't think Sony should do that and I would be very shocked if they tried that.

If it works with move why on earth wouldn't they do a bundle? They've already spoke about how it's part of their VR vision as one of the things "lacking" with oculus is greater immersion with your hands.

You're going to get a top tier bundle with the whole lot, camera, move and the headset. Sure it will be expensive as ####, but for someone without a PS4 and wanting VR it will be cheaper than buying everything separately.

If it works with move why on earth wouldn't they do a bundle? They've already spoke about how it's part of their VR vision as one of the things "lacking" with oculus is greater immersion with your hands.

You're going to get a top tier bundle with the whole lot, camera, move and the headset. Sure it will be expensive as ####, but for someone without a PS4 and wanting VR it will be cheaper than buying everything separately.

Um, the article was suggesting that those pieces were so crucial that a single bundle that offered those pieces together might be a good idea.

Again, my point was that I didn't think that was a good idea and that Sony should offer as many bundles as they could. Once again, your agreeing with me.

I never said don't do a bundle at all, so for whatever reason your reading way too much into it and trying to 'argue'. There is nothing to argue.

• 3 weeks later...

Project Morpheus Hands-On: The Virtual Future Is Very, Very Bright

btvdoftilj5qomzwdvrt.jpg

When Sony announced its intentions to take Oculus Rift head-on, we were excited. The Rift (rightly) gets all of the attention and praise for its VR prowess, but a little competition would be good for the emerging technology. Today at E3 in Los Angeles we finally got to try Project Morpheus for ourselves. And man, it's pretty awesome.

Admittedly, I only had it on for five minutes stretches, but the Morpheus hardware?which looks like futuristic ski goggles?is surprisingly light and feels well balanced. I can imagine playing for hours without neck strain. That being said, Sony is very clear that the hardware is still prototype, although that was apparent enough already; some units actually had duct tape on them.

When you put the visor on, you first press the rear plastic strap in, cinching it down to get a tight fit on your head. You can also use a small wheel to dial in the fit even more precisely. Press a separate button to slide the display closer to or further from your eyes, plug a pair of headphones into the unit, and you're ready to go.
At today's demo I was able to try three different games. And while Morpheus won't be released this year?or maybe not even the next?it already showed me some pretty wild stuff. We weren't allowed to take video of what it looks like inside the goggles, but you can get a sense of what it felt like from the displays that showed off my point of view.

More at Source: Gizmodo

• Like 2

• 4 months later...