Xbox One Illumiroom vs Xbox One VR tech?

Illumiroom vs VR  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Which would you prefer Microsoft make for Xbox One?

• Illumiroom
    • VR headset
    • Both
    • Neither

Now, if microsoft was to concentrate on one thing for the xbox one (regarding additional tech or peripherals for the x1), would you rather them focus on their own VR tech or the Illumiroom tech we saw a while back? 

Personally, I think, if they can get costs down with illumiroom, it'd appeal to a much larger group of people and would be much more successful and marketable to the masses (I honestly do not believe that the large majority of the population would want to be wearing these large VR things over their heads and eyes to experience something).  

Any thoughts? 

People are talking up VR now like it's the greatest thing ever but outside of a FPS why on earth would I play my games with VR glasses?  Like right now I'm playing AC4, it's a third person game etc, sticking a VR gizmo on my head adds nothing to that game.  Now a while ago when I was playing thief which is first person, sure I see it.    So having said that, illumiroom IMO adds to every game you will play, it's not limited in scope to just first person games where VR fits.    I think they can do both though, if the costs are down,  doing VR isn't going to cost much, the Kinect is already there and will handle tracking your head movements and so on.

• Like 2

They are big enough to do both *I think* besides AFAIK Fortaleza is supposed to be AR not VR.

VR.

Wouldn't touch Illumiroom with a barge pole.

Added a poll (Y)

40237-Why-not-both-gif-69vC.gif

(Andy is going to kill me for this)

• Like 2

Illumiroom hands down. I can't be bothered to wear crap on my head for 3D, and I won't wear crap on my head for VR. Give me Illumiroom or give me nothing.

Neither, illumiroom is potinless IMO, would rather use the money to buy a bigger TV and I personally think VR is just as gimmicky as 3D. My eyes are screwed enough without having them directly infront of smaller screens.

Just give me a damn Plex app.

They are big enough to do both *I think* besides AFAIK Fortaleza is supposed to be AR not VR.

40237-Why-not-both-gif-69vC.gif

(Andy is going to kill me for this)

I'm in a good mood, keep the gif :P

VR.

Wouldn't touch Illumiroom with a barge pole.

Added a poll (Y)

I hope this rumor is wrong but Fortaleza is AR not VR.

edit: look at this

rnAaHNq.jpg

Illumiroom  their more their dvd an all.  an sony  is doing vr already. don't want sony saying we are copying them.   like they are ps move an stuff.   be four they come out with vr I weather see that money going to improve kinect 2.0 .

to me xbox fans would fill the same way.

Illumiroom, bring on the holodeck. Didn't have interest in VR in the 90's, still don't have much interest in it now.

Posted this on the front page, but I think it's worth sharing again here too..

NSFW language

Illumiroom is never going to give you an experience like that.

Ignore the fact that you might look silly (or you know, just sit the #### down) and consider the level of immersion these people must be experiencing, enough to make them sense genuine fear. Now that right there seems like fun to me, even in it's current state.

Pretty sure the Oculus Rift will kick Sonys attempt in the nuts, but at least we are finally getting there. :)

• Like 4

Posted this on the front page, but I think it's worth sharing again here too..

[video snipped]

Illumiroom is never going to give you an experience like that.

Ignore the fact that you might look silly (or you know, just sit the #### down) and consider the level of immersion these people must be experiencing, enough to make them sense genuine fear. Now that right there seems like fun to me, even in it's current state.

Pretty sure the Oculus Rift will kick Sonys attempt in the nuts, but at least we are finally getting there. :)

I like illumiroom which you can see the contents all over the wall... instead of TV only. I like this one more than the VR device.

I like illumiroom which you can see the contents all over the wall... instead of TV only. I like this one more than the VR device.

Fair enough, but you will also seen the contents of the wall, and any other furniture. I want to leave the room/real world behind, and be totally immersed in the game world.

I just watched this again, to give myself a reminder of what Illumiroom is all about...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJ4hWa6y710

It does look like something I would have some fun with (that's why I voted both), but they really are two very different things.

Each to their own, I guess.

They are two different things but out of the two I think VR is more limiting, we don't all play first person games and I'd rather not every game be a first person game just so they can support VR.  I don't see how VR would add to my experience in any type of 3rd person game, or things like a RTS and so on.  Illumiroom doesn't care about what game you're playing, it just takes the world and expands it outside the confineds of your TV. 

That's not to say VR isn't cool, it is, but I don't only play one type of game.

VR headset.

If you want to see Kinect used to the full extent, this is absolutely the way to go. Utilizing both Kinect and VR, I feel the experience that could be delivered would be insane. Not to mention, I could finally say I'd have a real desire to have Kinect with an Xbox One.

Just being able to see your hands out in front of you into the VR would be amazing and could give way to all sorts of games. The tech is getting better and better, I think the big thing now is figuring out what to do with the wiring so you can be completely free and totally immersed.

Illumiroom doesn't even come close for me and I'm a bit saddened that one might opt for that over VR. Maybe I just can't see its use because of how my rooms are setup though. I just don't see the gain in it all...

definitely illumiroom.

sony got VR covered.  and i dont think focusing on two technologies cant be very helpful.

i would love to have 2 companies entirely dedicated to different tech, each providing a different experience.