A ESXi box...again

vs how much for the the G8?  No memory?  As to that card would have to look it up, make sure it is low profile!  I know the NC360T dual port works in my N40L and I got it cheap..

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000J3OPOU/

As to fan --- not sure about the N54L, but mine is ###### here on the floor a few feet from me and I don't hear anything..  So until you actual hear something, I would save the 20 for a fan ;)

Im using the 8GB I got for the G8. It comes with 2GB so 10GB should be enough for WS2012R2 and pfSense. It can be hacked up to 16GB I think. 

58.64 euros over here for that card.

I wont buy the fan right away. If its a problem, then Ill gof ro it.

It can be hacked up to 16GB I think. 

If by hacking you mean inserting DIMMs  :laugh:

not sure about the N54L, but mine is ###### here on the floor a few feet from me and I don't hear anything..  

Neither my N40 nor my N54L could be described as quiet.  Luckily they are stored somewhere with a door closed such that the noise doesn't bother anyone.  Either you got a really good one, or I have had two really bad ones!

If by hacking you mean inserting DIMMs  :laugh:

Nope. HP states specifically on their site that 8GB is the max

http://store.hp.com/UKStore/Merch/Product.aspx?id=704941-421&opt=&sel=BSRV#merch-tech-specs

You made it possible with a hacked BIOS :)

Neither my N40 nor my N54L could be described as quiet.  Luckily they are stored somewhere with a door closed such that the noise doesn't bother anyone.  Either you got a really good one, or I have had two really bad ones!

Ill wait to see. If not, in goes a Noctua NF-S12A.

Nope. HP states specifically on their site that 8GB is the max

http://store.hp.com/UKStore/Merch/Product.aspx?id=704941-421&opt=&sel=BSRV#merch-tech-specs

You made it possible with a hacked BIOS :)

Ill wait to see. If not, in goes a Noctua NF-S12A.

Except I don't have a hacked BIOS. Doesn't matter what the HP site says the N54L supports 16GB RAM.

Ok for sound -- I did a little test, my door is closed - My PC is on as well so its not just the N40L in the room, but I put a db meter on my ipad and put it on the floor next to it...  I can still hear the cloths dryer going other end of the house, and wife has the tv on I can hear..  This is what I get on the meter.  Under 50

post-14624-0-84345000-1395614239.png

2014:03:23 19:47.9 46.352082
2014:03:23 19:48.0 45.002536
2014:03:23 19:48.1 48.344826
2014:03:23 19:48.2 47.879568

Now I took the ipad in the back bedroom, all the way in the corner of the house. And I get this

2014:03:23 26:31.9 36.050065
2014:03:23 26:32.1 35.929277
2014:03:23 26:32.1 35.38559
2014:03:23 26:32.2 35.380975
2014:03:23 26:32.3 35.097043

I don't know what you consider quiet.. But I can tell you it sure doesn't bother me, and you can not hear it like I can the cloth dryer on the other end of the house with my door closed, etc.. 40 db is like library, 50 is avg home from what I can find - and this is with the mic right on the floor in front of it.

Would be curious to what your sound measurements are
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/decibel-10th/id448155923

As to memory
"It comes with 2GB so 10GB should be enough"

That is going to be a good trick ;)  It has 2 slots - how are you going to get 10?  And your SURE that memory works?  I would think they could be different - one just out and intel and other is AMD and the gen 8 was a complete redo vs the other n36, 40 and 54 models.

<snipped>

My Microserver is on a shelf just over a metre off the ground in the corner of a room.  Where do you want me to measure the sound from?

well maybe being on a shelf could have something to do with vibration and amplification of sound.  Mine is on the carpeted floor, this might absorb some of the noise?.  But can you put the ipad/iphone next to it on the shelf. 

My N54L is sitting on Laminate flooring about 5 feet from me

the only time i ever hear it is if the room is silent and i really strain

Except I don't have a hacked BIOS. Doesn't matter what the HP site says the N54L supports 16GB RAM.

Well, HP is the maker so they should know :p

As to memory

"It comes with 2GB so 10GB should be enough"

That is going to be a good trick ;)  It has 2 slots - how are you going to get 10?  And your SURE that memory works?  I would think they could be different - one just out and intel and other is AMD and the gen 8 was a complete redo vs the other n36, 40 and 54 models.

Well, I have a 8GB stick....it comes with a 2GB stick. I put my 8GB stick in the other slot and....

I feel very stupid because Im obviously missing something :laugh:

About compatibility:

YmsL1OP.png

They look the same right? Except speeds... (BTW, it talks about HP memory not being compatible with previous gen)

Dell guy called me today telling me that all of Dell's systems are compatible with ESXi 5.5 He apologized for the recent troubles and asked me a couple of questions and I just told him that I wanted the cheapest possible, no license, tower, 1 proc, etc. He said he will send me a email stating specs and price shortly.

BTW, is this common practice? You use your company (and its discount) to buy a machine, pay your company the amount of the machine and take it home for you?

A cisco switch is far more louder than the HP Microserver EVER was. The Microserver is practically silent. Stock Fan with Some WD Red drives & Dual Nic Budman Recommended. 

"Well, I have a 8GB stick....it comes with a 2GB stick. I put my 8GB stick in the other slot and...."

Does it come with just 2GB stick, or pair?  If just 1 stick and you have 8GB stick - ok yeah if system allows it your good.  I have been putting memory in pairs for so long I have forgotten that you can put in odd like that ;)  I assumed 2GB was 2x1GB sticks.. But just looked the memory that came with my N40L (had it on the shelf) and only 1 stick.  So sure guess that works.  I always buy pairs of memory for dual channel - so if I was going to buy 8GB I would of bought 2x4GB.

So my bad if you have a 2 and 8GB stick - and 2 slots open, sure you should see 10 if that sort of memory configuration is supported - I have never looked into that.

"Well, I have a 8GB stick....it comes with a 2GB stick. I put my 8GB stick in the other slot and...."

Both of mine have come with a single 2GB stick.

OK, you had me there a bit dumbfounded....

Where Im getting it from it clearly says "UDIMM 2 GB (1 x 2 GB)" so it does come indeed with 1 stick :)

Still waiting on the Dell...

Before that I wanna make sure some of you have done this whole "order from company, take it home" thing. I know its probably a per company policy thing so I would ask around before I actually do it, just in case.

Then your good for memory I guess.. Many sites that you buy from say amazon or newegg don't show that - just says 2GB, so not sure.  Mine came with 1 stick as already mentioned.  But I didn't recall that until I just looked at what I put on the shelf, quite often memory is in pairs to fill the slots because smaller sticks are cheaper ;)

As to buying using your company discount, that is up to your company - I would check with them.

well maybe being on a shelf could have something to do with vibration and amplification of sound.  Mine is on the carpeted floor, this might absorb some of the noise?.  But can you put the ipad/iphone next to it on the shelf. 

This is mine - quite possible the shelf is making a difference.

post-11693-0-06904000-1395664652.jpg

Well, HP is the maker so they should know :p

Or they might not have tested it and therefore it isn't on the official spec sheet.

Either way, doesn't matter - it works with 16GB.  No skin off my nose if you don't believe me.

Also that could just be average noise -- what does a reading in the quiet part of your house look like?  For example mine was 35ish in the back bedroom with door closed, etc.

Well Dell just offered me a 591 ? T110 II (and he told me that is going to remove the shipping charges)....when online.....same config, same warranty, etc........ 453 ? Wait, its not the same config: Mines includes a 1TB, SATA, 3.5-in, 7.2K RPM HDD!!! No HDD on theirs.

Im gonna look around for that memory compatibility BudMan was talking about...

So what its been 2 months and we are still talking about what you should get ;)  You could of been running this thing for 2 months already.. 

So what its been 2 months and we are still talking about what you should get ;)  You could of been running this thing for 2 months already..

2? 3 if I would have listed to you and gotten the N54L! :laugh:

Still nothing....Ill post back as soon as I buy something as I don't wanna further bore anyone with this topic of back and forth and my lack of a ability to make a decision.