Step up from on board audio.

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#46 T3X4S

T3X4S

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 14 April 2014 - 08:33

My 2003 Soundblaster Audigy 2 Platinum Ex running in Windows 8 begs to differ.

He said "has a habit of" not "does it all the time verbatim."  Seriously, c'mon

#47 riahc3

riahc3

Neowin's most indecisive member

• Tech Issues Solved: 11
  • Phone: HTC Desire Z

Posted 14 April 2014 - 13:18

Not the entire Audigy family - the Audigy SE was; however, THAT was basically a re-branded X-Fi XtremeAudio (software DSP strikes again).  The rest of the Audigy line with the first hardware DSP (specifically, the E-MU 10K1 or 10K2; yes, the SAME E-MU 10K1 and 10K2 used in professional audio-processing studio gear) worked darn well until changes were made in the audio stack by Microsoft (in Vista, specifically) that made support for hardware DSPs mostly pointless for anything that used DirectSound, and had the nasty side-effect of wrecking EAX in games - Microsoft's change, but Creative got blamed.

Most if not all of the Audigy line was horrible. And Creative had months to prepare for the change. Instead they stuck out their middle finger to their costumers and delivered what they delivered.

My 2003 Soundblaster Audigy 2 Platinum Ex running in Windows 8 begs to differ.

Yeah, it runs but with not only generic Microsoft drivers but nothing from Creative at all.

As a matter of fact, Im not sure if you even use the generic Microsoft drivers; Maybe you are using the hacked up drivers that have been floating around. I cant speak on that because I have never had Windows 8.1 with my Audigy 2 ZS.

I really hope HawkMan is right when he said they have cleaned up their act. Lets hope Creative can once again set a standard in audio for consumer products

#48 OP devnulllore

devnulllore

Neowin-aholic

Posted 14 April 2014 - 13:44

I haven't read all the posts, but I want to say that - the item that you're listening to may be the problem.

MP3 sound horrible.  A good system will just amplify the flat sound.  Many people will think they need an addon card, then throw it on some crap $100 speakers and think "this sounds nice"

I am not talking about audiophiles, they are their own breed.  But if you're listening to a good recording, maybe something in FLAC, and it doesnt sound good, then you might need better speakers...

I have ruined my ears from shooting large caliber guns w/o ear protection, so I dont bother anymore, but when I did - I had the Klipsh 5.1 Ultra on an X-Fi and thought it was pretty nice when listening to music in a lossless codec. - Just my 2 cents

I realize "nice" is relative.

Hi,

Well I've tried CD's, DVD's, Blu-Ray's even some FLAC encoded songs from full digital tape (probably the best source). I just found that with the right mix and software to get the best out of this Realtek Processor I could not find any difference until I reached the Asus Xonar ROG Phoebus  http://tinyurl.com/pnuoxbb

And even with that I had to re-install the drivers a second time because there was a conflict with the install and my keyboard control panel running at the same time. Not Asus's fault but a pain in the ass no less. So for now I am going to stick with the on-board. I am not a total audiophile and many of you will undoubtedly cringe at that but I do still like my music crisp clean and games to sound realistic. so far I've been able to do this with the right instruction on the software I have. If, of course, anyone can suggest a card similar to the Asus one at around $100 please let me know.

Cheers,