31 posts in this topic

Posted

Welcome to Unreal Engine 4
Tim Sweeney on Mar 19, 2014

Unreal Engine 4 launches today. What we

1 person likes this

Posted

Subscription based payments are really taking off, this will hopefully be a viable payment method for any small studios or even students to get their hands on a solid engine. I wonder if this will be just the push that makes Unreal the status quo for this gen as well.

Posted

UE4 seems impressive. I'm beginning to like it more than CryEngine now. $19 per month is pocket change, even for a small indie developer. I can't wait to see what they come up with in the next 2 years.

Subscription based payments are really taking off, this will hopefully be a viable payment method for any small studios or even students to get their hands on a solid engine. I wonder if this will be just the push that makes Unreal the status quo for this gen as well.

It seems like it. There's a large community behind UE4 and a heck of a lot of documentation for people that have no experience with an engine SDK.

I hope they release a free version for personal use. I'd love to play around with it.

Posted

With the release of Unreal Engine version 4.1, we've updated the EULA to accommodate this low-revenue situation:

Now, the first $3000 of gross revenue per product per quarter is exempt from royalties. And, if gross revenue is less than $3000 in a given quarter, then you don't need to file a royalty report.

So, for example, if your game makes $2500 in a quarter, then you don't have to pay anything or file a report. If your game makes $4000, then the royalty due is $50, which is 5% of ($4000 minus $3000).

https://answers.unrealengine.com/questions/31562/is-royalties-starts-from-first-few-s-earned.html#answer-34244

-----

Bioshock 1 running on UE4

[wyoutube]XTysmqulFwI[/wyoutube]

2 people like this

Posted

Dammit!  I thought it was actually the whole Bioshock 1 game that they could just port over to UE4 and it would look that good.  I wonder how much work that would take?

1 person likes this

Posted

I would rebuy Bioshock 1 if they put in the effort to remake it in UE4. Bioshock is one of those games that feels like a classic, something I want to experience again if I can.
1 person likes this

Posted

If you stop paying the subscription do the tools stop working?

If not, this just looks like a $19 tool-set. Then pay $19 whenever a major update happens. Finally pay $19 when it's time to release. Or am I missing something? I really don't have time to research it right now, but I am interested.

I'd gladly throw down 20 bucks for this and then not pay anymore until something comes of my initial investment. If I actually make anything with it then I can justify paying more. The problem with these tools are the cost of entry are just too damn high. I own Unity 3 Pro with all the exporters and I've never done anything with it, thankfully that was given to me so no loss.

Posted

• Do I have to worry about a billing contract or penalties for cancelling my subscription?

Your subscription payment automatically recurs, but you

1 person likes this

Posted

I love the Unreal series, and always wanted the Unreal Engine to do well, and it has with many games released over the years developed with the Unreal Engine.  But I'm no dev, so do not know what Engine developers like working with, but it seems Unreal, because of so many games released using it.  I like the Crysis series, but do not see or at least not aware of any games that are released, that use the CryEngine for a AAA game from a third party.  Someone help me.  Homefront 2, Rise of Rome?  Those are Crytek games.

Any neowin members that mod, develop,  tell us what they like?  Unreal vs Crytek, or another?

Posted

Still see the ut4 engine still have water issues. :-\

Posted

what water issues?

Posted

If you stop paying the subscription do the tools stop working?

If not, this just looks like a $19 tool-set. Then pay $19 whenever a major update happens. Finally pay $19 when it's time to release. Or am I missing something? I really don't have time to research it right now, but I am interested.

I'd gladly throw down 20 bucks for this and then not pay anymore until something comes of my initial investment. If I actually make anything with it then I can justify paying more. The problem with these tools are the cost of entry are just too damn high. I own Unity 3 Pro with all the exporters and I've never done anything with it, thankfully that was given to me so no loss.

I imagine that this will be a recurring subscription and will feature an "ET Phone Home" method of authentication.

Posted

Bare in mind that video was made using the original assets from Bioshock, and the water effects in Bioshock weren't that great to begin with.

Posted

please someone just port Unreal Tornament 99 into UE4, since no one on Epic can do that...

1 person likes this

Posted

I know that Unreal II didn't do so well, but why haven't we gotten an Unreal III yet?

1 person likes this

Posted

I know that Unreal II didn't do so well, but why haven't we gotten an Unreal III yet?

Because sequelitis is painful.

Posted

still waiting for a sequel of UT99...

Posted

please someone just port Unreal Tornament 99 into UE4, since no one on Epic can do that...

Eh 2004, or 3 but with the missing 2004 features.

3's biggest problem was that it had bad interface or support for running local servers ie on a lan.  Or customizing the servers (better) like UT2004 allowed.  You can't even pick a map to start on in a rotation and continue the rotation there etc.  Also the steam connect error on the steam version basically killed it too.

Posted

Eh 2004, or 3 but with the missing 2004 features.

3's biggest problem was that it had bad interface or support for running local servers ie on a lan.  Or customizing the servers (better) like UT2004 allowed.  You can't even pick a map to start on in a rotation and continue the rotation there etc.  Also the steam connect error on the steam version basically killed it too.

Well 2004 and 3 were OK, while 2003 was bad. But none of them has the same fast paced and feel that UT99 has.

Posted

Gears of War 4 confirmed

Posted

Gears of War 4 confirmed

I actually wonder if they'll use Unreal for the next GoW. The only reason it was on Unreal was because of Epic, since it's wholly MS' property now they might opt for another engine entirely.

Posted

I actually wonder if they'll use Unreal for the next GoW. The only reason it was on Unreal was because of Epic, since it's wholly MS' property now they might opt for another engine entirely.

Good point that i totally forgot. It won't even be Epic, and MS will try to distance themselves from the previous era, especially since Epic is now Tencent basically (i suspect that's the real reason Cliff left when he did).

Wonder who'll be doing Gears 4 then? Maybe Raven will finally go back to making action games rather than just sports titles and family-focused releases.

EDIT: quick search shows that Black Tusk have already been announced as the next Gears developers, not Raven hahahaha

1 person likes this

Posted

Would love a redone 04. Maybe a 14?

Posted

I just love Unreal Engine 4 and the services it provides. It's awesome, and for only $19 a month!

Posted

This is a Deus Ex inspired creation in UE4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjTQwZRUfb8