What Apple

March 20, 2014 1:59PM AEST

NOT even the iWatch is going to save Apple.

The author of a new book critical of the gadget maker said she?s doubtful that new products rumoured to be in the works at Apple will return the tech giant to its glory days.

?I?m really sceptical about its chances for success,? Yukari Kane said about the possibility of a smart TV by Apple. On the much-rumoured iWatch, Kane retorted: ?I mean, would you want one??

Kane is the author of ?Haunted Empire: Apple After Steve Jobs,? which explores how Apple has fared since Steve Jobs, the company?s colourful founder and charismatic spokesman, died almost three years ago.

The former Wall Street Journal reporter concludes what some Apple investors have feared since Jobs? death in 2011: Apple is not the same as it was under Jobs ? and it?s hard to say whether it ever will be again.

?On the innovation front, I guess we?ll see,? she told The Post. ?But I do think its going to be difficult.?

Source

Whenever Jobs wasn't there, it struggled. When he was there, it flourished. That's basically fact.

So sure, I worry for Apple. Even with Cook and Ive (both of whom I like).

see apple 1994

apple was the corporate version of north korea. all built on the personality and vision of one man. ios products are stale. the iphone 5 is fundamentally not different from the iphone 1 in a design perspective. yeah it's got a higher resolution screen and faster processor... but face it... it's not cool any more and getting less and less cool.  their macintosh line is overpriced and stale too.

Cook seems to be a pen pusher while Ive is just copying Microsoft's interface (remember how 2D minimalist was claimed to be boring before iOS7). They used to be known as Apple Computer Inc, what will V3 of the company be called? They'd better invest truckloads of their bank balance in acquiring more tech companies because they sure as hell can't innovate!

Apple now is not the same as Apple before Jobs' return.

They know they have to innovate, and they still do - see the new Mac Pro. 

They have since the return of Jobs been concentrating on their strength - offering a limited range of complete solutions, be they Macs or i-devices or whatever else they have in their product pipeline. No other computer manufacturer comes close to offering integrated designs like Apple does.

So no, I'm not worried about the future of Apple. The company is in good hands, and knows very well what it's doing.

The author of a new book critical of the gadget maker 

Not biased at all then. This just comes across as someone agitating to make a bit of money from stirred up controversy. 

They have definitely changed without Jobs (is that really a surprise?) but they're still a large and popular company. Acting like everything Apple ever did was all down to Steve Jobs is something of an insult to all the other people who work for Apple. He was a driving force but he didn't do everything.

?I?m really sceptical about its chances for success,? Yukari Kane said about the possibility of a smart TV by Apple. On the much-rumoured iWatch, Kane retorted: ?I mean, would you want one??

There is clearly lots of interest in fancy TVs and watches already. Maybe it will come to nothing but I recall a lot of people being sceptical about things like the iPad which turned out to be a great success.

Cook seems to be a pen pusher while Ive is just copying Microsoft's interface (remember how 2D minimalist was claimed to be boring before iOS7). They used to be known as Apple Computer Inc, what will V3 of the company be called? They'd better invest truckloads of their bank balance in acquiring more tech companies because they sure as hell can't innovate!

I thought that Ive does hardware design?

• Like 2

I do not think Apple doing good, Apple's market share saturated, thereafter fight would be between MS and Linux, MS v google, windows phone v Android

What an utterly pathetic argument you put forward.

• Like 1

what many people don't understand that even Apple stop doing any business for ten years it will still able to survive with over 100 billion cash. It's not gonna happen again like in the late 90s when Apple nearly bankrupt from 90 days.

So in order to let this book sell as many as it can, it will be as negative as you can think of because all of that claim isn't backup with a fact. Only bozo will agree with everything the book trying to indicate the future. It's agnostic in so many ways because Apple has managed to secure their faith for many decade with the help of iPhone and iPad. They basically finished the competition once and for all. No one is remotely close and those analysis are clueless. So get over it whenever someone attempt to point out Apple is doom without SJ. 

Eat, sleep, iproduct, repeat.

Apple will do just fine with their loyal brand monkeys, and bland but "cool" products. For a while at least. Then they'll go the way of Nokia. As long as they can keep paying their excellent marketing team, they'll sell whatever they release, in good numbers

I'd consider buying a watch that could add ten to twenty years to my life. If you don't understand what I'm talking about, read up on some rumors (iWatch and health monitoring).

Personally I think Apple is simplifying products too much. I'm quite upset that most of their computers are glued (instead of screwed) together. Then again, machines no longer have to be upgraded as much, and are reliable as ever.

The Apple product I dislike the most is the latest iPod nano. Previous versions looked much better - I don't think Steve would have let the current design through. iPods will be discontinued in general soon. I'm surprised to see high-school (13 year old plus) walking around with Galaxy SIII these days - very generous parents they must have!

I'd consider buying a watch that could add ten to twenty years to my life. If you don't understand what I'm talking about, read up on some rumors (iWatch and health monitoring).

Yeah... no!  Sorry but no amount of heart monitoring is going to add any significant change to the lifespan of a normal healthy person.  No matter what rumours apple fans may wish to spout.

Apple has not produced any relevant innovation since the iPhone 4 really. It's all been baby steps and evolution of product. They locked themselves in a corner and can't get out without breaking previous products and/or a huge part of their precious eco system.

Their worldwide marketshare will continue to decline over the coming years and they will end up with the iWhat products where their powerMac is now,, in a market niche not really going anywhere. Windows Phone will overtake iOS in the coming years and keep growing. Android will remain the mobile boss though. Apple will become an irrelevant blip in the coming decade. 

Apple will become an irrelevant blip in the coming decade.

Every decade or so, they pull a rabbit out of the hat.  This is what keeps them going.

Yeah... no!  Sorry but no amount of heart monitoring is going to add any significant change to the lifespan of a normal healthy person.  No matter what rumours apple fans may wish to spout.

Heart monitoring only is so 1990s...

Don't think 'inside' the box like Yukari Kane.

healthbook-book.jpg

Heart monitoring only is so 1990s...

Only reacting to what YOU posted.  The rest of it, using gadgets to kid yourself you're healthy is a fad.

Don't think 'inside' the box like Yukari Kane.

Don't follow apple's marketing blindly like... sheep.

Not biased at all then. This just comes across as someone agitating to make a bit of money from stirred up controversy. 

They have definitely changed without Jobs (is that really a surprise?) but they're still a large and popular company. Acting like everything Apple ever did was all down to Steve Jobs is something of an insult to all the other people who work for Apple. He was a driving force but he didn't do everything.

There is clearly lots of interest in fancy TVs and watches already. Maybe it will come to nothing but I recall a lot of people being sceptical about things like the iPad which turned out to be a great success.

I thought that Ive does hardware design?

Ive provides leadership to the "human Interface" team starting with iOS7. iOS7 did away with the skuemorphic design in favour a simplified "flat" look, which is at the core exactly what Microsoft have been doing since WP7.