Surface pro or Surface pro 2?

So I bought an iPad for work because of the size, but for work, it's not working.  I need to use windows applications now.  

Surface pro, is the exact price as the Surface 2.      I can be ok buying a surface pro, I believe. There really isn't that much of an upgrade from the pro to pro 2 correct?  Pro 2 has a better processor, but the graphics is the same right?   I can't justify the extra for the Pro 2 really.  but getting the Pro for $500 isn't a bad deal at all

I will be using Microsoft Office 2013 Pro on it, other window applications.   

For a hobby I will be using http://www.grlevelx.com/

Will that program work ok smoothly you think? 

I know 

With a surface pro and pro 2 if I get the 64 gig model, how much free space is left?

I have a Pro and it does everything I need for work and more.  The graphics aren't the same, however, since the Pro 2 can drive a 4K display while the Pro can't.

I'll download the problem and try it out.

Edit:  Ran it and it runs pretty smooth.  Don't know the program so I don't know what would tax it but I chose a couple different locations and zoomed in and out.

Apparently on the Pro you have about 30GB available on the 64GB model. This includes having the OS, standard apps and the recovery partition on the drive.  You can also easily use a micro SD card to expand the space available.

I have a Pro and it does everything I need for work and more. The graphics aren't the same, however, since the Pro 2 can drive a 4K display while the Pro can't.

I'll download the problem and try it out.

Edit: Ran it and it runs pretty smooth. Don't know the program so I don't know what would tax it but I chose a couple different locations and zoomed in and out.

Thanks for trying out the software! Was "smooth" on as well? I don't have a 4K device and I don't think I'll be connecting it to any other monitor so I should be ok. Thanks again!

Pro2 does have better batterie life using Haswell CPU. The GPU is a little bit better.

Is probably plug it in at 40% anyways so I don't think battery life would be bad for me. Although if the microsoft store runs out of the pro I might just have to get the pro 2.

Thanks for trying out the software! Was "smooth" on as well? I don't have a 4K device and I don't think I'll be connecting it to any other monitor so I should be ok. Thanks again!

Is probably plug it in at 40% anyways so I don't think battery life would be bad for me. Although if the microsoft store runs out of the pro I might just have to get the pro 2.

The difference in battery life is significant from what I hear. I have a Pro 2 and I can easily get about 7 hours out of it. I've heard the original Pro was much less than that, not sure exactly but I would guess about 3.5 to 4 hours.

The difference in battery life is significant from what I hear. I have a Pro 2 and I can easily get about 7 hours out of it. I've heard the original Pro was much less than that, not sure exactly but I would guess about 3.5 to 4 hours.

Blah. Even from like word and web? Using it for videos id probably have it plugged in. If the store is still sold out then I'd try to balance something out and buy the pro 2 as last resort.

Which would people rather buy now?  The surface pro which is $599, and with the education discount the surface pro 2 with 64gig is $809,  the 128 gig model is $899.  

Which would be the better bet all the way around? Just get the pro for $599, or pro 2 for $899?

Just for basic window apps and office.  I'm leaning towards the pro because it really only is $599, I could buy their warranty and touch cover for almost the price of the new pro 2.

Apparently the prices will be that way until June the person said.   

I think mobility is important and if this were not so, you wouldn't be getting a tablet. Go with the Pro 2. Remember that all lithium ion batteries degrade with time, thus the Pro 2 will be more useful to you as a mobile device for a longer amount of time.

Which would people rather buy now?  The surface pro which is $599, and with the education discount the surface pro 2 with 64gig is $809,  the 128 gig model is $899.  

Which would be the better bet all the way around? Just get the pro for $599, or pro 2 for $899?

Just for basic window apps and office.  I'm leaning towards the pro because it really only is $599, I could buy their warranty and touch cover for almost the price of the new pro 2.

Apparently the prices will be that way until June the person said.   

I am thinking of upgrading to the Pro 2, but the 256GB version.  It comes with 8GB of RAM instead of 4GB.  Also, I work with 4K displays so the upgraded CPU helps.  Although I haven't felt the pinch with the Pro, the battery on the Pro 2 should be a nice bonus.

If it was between the 64GB Pro or Pro 2, I would say the Pro is a better value.

I think mobility is important and if this were not so, you wouldn't be getting a tablet. Go with the Pro 2. Remember that all lithium ion batteries degrade with time, thus the Pro 2 will be more useful to you as a mobile device for a longer amount of time.

True, I didn't think about that last part.  

Come on US Tax refund! haha.  

So, how long can I expect the surface pro to last me before my battery finally fully degrades to the point where I have to keep my power cord attached at all times? 

I normally use the computer about 10-12 hours on average per day.  

So, how long can I expect the surface pro to last me before my battery finally fully degrades to the point where I have to keep my power cord attached at all times?

I normally use the computer about 10-12 hours on average per day.

I can't find any specs on the battery other than the Pro having a 42 Wh, probably lithium polymer battery sourced from LG. I know the typical lithium ion multi-cell batteries can fail catastrophically as you describe if certain cells degrade faster than others. In this case, I can't even find out whether the Pro's battery pack has one or more than one cell in the package. The lifetime is also sensitive to temperature and can be sensitive to charge rate (and associated temperatures). I'd estimate that under your usage scenario, you'd lose 10 - 25% of the battery's capacity per year (and yeah, I know that's a huge range).

I can't find any specs on the battery other than the Pro having a 42 Wh, probably lithium polymer battery sourced from LG. I know the typical lithium ion multi-cell batteries can fail catastrophically as you describe if certain cells degrade faster than others. In this case, I can't even find out whether the Pro's battery pack has one or more than one cell in the package. The lifetime is also sensitive to temperature and can be sensitive to charge rate (and associated temperatures). I'd estimate that under your usage scenario, you'd lose 10 - 25% of the battery's capacity per year (and yeah, I know that's a huge range).

Darn..

Thanks for the info.  

I just hate how the battery isn't replaceable..

Oh well, the 1st gens pro's are pretty cheap right now, might as well go with one of those.  

Darn..

Thanks for the info.  

I just hate how the battery isn't replaceable..

Oh well, the 1st gens pro's are pretty cheap right now, might as well go with one of those.  

It can be replaced if you're sufficiently motivated (it's not glued in), but come time when you're under 50% of the original capacity, I'll bet the Surface 3 will be looking pretty good. ;)

It can be replaced if you're sufficiently motivated (it's not glued in), but come time when you're under 50% of the original capacity, I'll bet the Surface 3 will be looking pretty good. ;)

that's true.

I'm sure by then I'll probably want to upgrade anyways lol.