Best E-Ink reader out right now?

A friend of mine yesterday asked me about a tablet to read books. I recommended a e-ink reader for eyes. Followed, I talked about the Amazon Kindle but some time has passed and I wanted to know if there is anything similar and better in the same price range.

I love my Kindle Paperwhite 2013 but the battery life is arse. Don't know whether its because of the books on it (indexing which hasn't worked/finished) or because I read more than the 30 mins/day. Supposed to last 8 weeks, I have to re-charge every 4 or 5 days.

Mates Kobo is a good e-reader though. It has a light on it and he loves it. Don't know about the nook or sony ones but can't see them being bad.

I still have my first gen kindle, nothing else comes close to it for battery life, but then it's not backlit

I would go with any low priced tablet, they all make great readers, and I believe you can install the free kindle app on all the popular brands from their respective app stores

I cannot say from personal experience, but the fire isn't as good as it's hype, but then again, if we're honest, not many devices are...

The only recommendation I can give, out of conscience, is don't get a galaxy tab 7, I am impressed by it, decent spec, but I'll be lucky if I can get 7 hours out of it, my note 10.1 can go 2 or 3 days+ on just the kindle

(I won my tab 7 from amazon, so technically I didn't lose anything by trying it <gave it to my 10 year old>)

(On a side note, if you have an amazon account, you might want to look into their competitions now and again, if you're lucky enough to win one, you can always gift it, or trade it in for another device)

I have a friend who has a 7" Kindle Fire HDX and it's a fantastic device, very much living up to the hype, but it's extremely locked down to Amazon services only and has no sdcard port.  I don't think he wants that expensive of a device, anyway.

I love the Nook brand, so I'll push that for e-ink.  The Kindle isn't any better than the Nook, so it's a matter of whether you want a sdcard or not (the new Nook Glowlight makes that point moot; neither have it, so you'll have to go track down an older e-ink model) and whether you prefer you books in mobi or epub.

I will also admit that the Kobo readers look fantastic from a technical standpoint, but I don't personally like the way it renders text (e.g. paragraphs are always have a space between them instead of being indented).  I don't know if you can install apps on the Kobo so that you could use the Nook or Kindle app to read on it instead.