chornic computer use/addiction

Hi,

For the past 9-13 years I have been spending my life on the computer (if I'm not on it its because of work/etc)

The Strange Thing:
I have started trying to get off it but still no good, anyway when I realise that my computer use has taken over and that I think no more computer my brain and my body lights up, I feel like I am so alive for a few seconds and more "awake".... I know it may sound strange but that's just the way it is...

The computer has totally taken over my life, and not just as in my life but a lot more than that. It has taken over my soul so to speak...........

While man I love computers really, they are fun and awesome, but in my experience with extreme long term useage they have taken over, and like the computer is on a survival sheet in my head. I need the computer to surive which is pretty silly....

Hello all. My name is Nick, and I'm addicted to computers.

I would say that "addiction" is a pretty strong word. If I think about it, due to my work and my interest I probably end up staring at a computer screen for most of my waking hours. But would I call it an addiction? No. Addiction would give the impression that I would fall apart if I didn't have access to a computer. That's not the case for me. I would miss aspects, such as the ease to communicate with friends and family, but I wouldn't be rocking back and forth in a corner of the room somewhere.

There's not really a question to your post, is your issue something that you would like to change? Or was this more just a general "am I alone with this thinking?" sort of discussion?

Many these days are addicted to some kind of computer device. If it has co

Hi,

For the past 9-13 years I have been spending my life on the computer (if I'm not on it its because of work/etc)

The Strange Thing:
I have started trying to get off it but still no good, anyway when I realise that my computer use has taken over and that I think no more computer my brain and my body lights up, I feel like I am so alive for a few seconds and more "awake".... I know it may sound strange but that's just the way it is...

The computer has totally taken over my life, and not just as in my life but a lot more than that. It has taken over my soul so to speak...........

While man I love computers really, they are fun and awesome, but in my experience with extreme long term useage they have taken over, and like the computer is on a survival sheet in my head. I need the computer to surive which is pretty silly....

The world is certainly going into the direction where it's needed to live a normal life, that's for sure. Eventually computers will be so integrated that even homeless people won't get a free hot meal without having to access one in some form or fashion. The need for instant data retrieval and sending is a human trait and the computers just allow this to take place. If we discovered how to do Telepathy instead, we wouldn't use computers so much so it's really just a medium and at this point we are still at the extreme infancy of what's to come.

If you find your life in turmoil because of you feeling a need to be on them during all waking hours, then you have no other good choice than to make adjustments and solve the turmoil before allowing yourself access to a computer. If your life is fine, your healthy, your family is doing just fine, your relationships are fine then just remember that not all addictions are bad for you. Typically it's all just moderation, a balancing act. For example I'd rather play a video game today than go to the bank and take my wife to see some movie I don't really care about but I have to prioritize to keep my life in balance. Then I can reward my spare time with a game should I choose.

I'm addicted to MotoGP, but I cant afford the subscription to view, or BT sport, So I'll use the computer to find a working link on an independent sports website.....

Hi

I try again yet to get away from the computer but can't.

please are there any pdfs or any info on how to stop using ?/

thank you.

Well, instead of viewing a PDF, you should visit a library. That's a start right?

I don't think anyone linking you to a PDF when you're trying to get away from computers will help seeing how it requires one. That's like me sending a smoker to the tobacco store to buy chewing gum to help him curb his addiction.

For me the only things that prevent me from going to my computer is usually another hobby or distraction, something that needs done..etc. Like if I find a good wood working project (last time I build an Arcade cabinet to play emulated games) then I'm focused on something else. I use computers as entertainment so I have to find other entrainment to not want to get on mine.

You never quite clearly stated your reasoning for not wanting to get on computers. What is it you are wanting outside of the computer exactly? I assume it's a habit that has become a negative to you in some way, so If you need a social life or things like that then there's not much else you can do except to actually force yourself to go out and meet others. Once you meet some friends it's easier to have that excuse to go out. If it's an issue of you putting other things off then you might try using an application that will warn you and shut down your computer after a given set of time has passed...kinda like parental controls. Either way I think you need to consciously force yourself to shut it down and do whatever it is you're wanting...after a while, it will become a new habit. Anything we perform with any consistency becomes a thoughtless habit...even having a lead foot on the accelerator of your car all the time will eventually become a thoughtless habit. So to change it you need to be conscious of it and try to remember so you can force the new habit until it's as thoughtless as your old habit. We are creatures of habit so all we as humans ever do is go from one habit to the next. From the routes we take to get home to the food we eat often all fall into some kind of habit performed without thought.

Otherwise, you might look into books that discuss habits and addictions and in particular computer addictions. Just try not to read such books on your computer, lol, kinda defeats the purpose. I know there are books related to the study of such so just search for computer addiction books and hopefully you find something that pertains to you.

Hi

I try again yet to get away from the computer but can't.
please are there any pdfs or any info on how to stop using ?/

thank you.

rofl
is there something I can use my computer to view, in order to help my get over my addiction to 'said computer'

Until the OP acknowledges any of the advice given here I'll just safely assume he's a marketer or a troll.

I await the "Guys, I found this online and it helped me link".

• Like 1

I am addicted to computer as well. When I get up in morning first thing I do is to turn on my computer.. When I am at home, I am always at computer. I need to go some place else where I don't get caught up with addiction.

Like many of you I carry a computer with me at all times. It's called a smartphone. Does it make me an addict? No.

To me computers and the internet are an integral part of my life. Computing devices are the main means of communication, they're a tool to find all of the data I need at any given time within seconds, they provide entertainment when I'm bored.

However: I can still reduce my computer usage to communicate and have fun with others in person. I can and have used the off switch on several such occasions.

To sum it up - computers are part of my lifestyle. But not something I'm addicted to.

Hi,

Hello,

What do you use computers for?

If you are addicted to social networks, log off, and meet with real people in real life.

If you are addicted to gaming, again, meet with your real friends and do something fun without computers. Don't succumb to your laziness. Free you mind! virtual world = virtual fun; real world = real fun.

If you are like me, a news junky, then you are out of luck :D

We live in the age of information and, to me, computers are just a tool to get the latest information.

Another tip I can give is that you basically have two options:

You can try to quit cold turkey by deleting your profiles on social networks, games, etc. Or, you can try a gradual approach: cut your time and try to have a day, every sunday for example, without computers.

Once you start living your life to your full potential again, you won't have time left for computers.

Until the OP acknowledges any of the advice given here I'll just safely assume he's a marketer or a troll.

I await the "Guys, I found this online and it helped me link".

erm no ...... i have had enough of my use full stop.

it has taken over control of my life and I am pretty much isolated from the world.

Turn the computer off. Remove the power cable/battery and take it to work with you then leave it there. When you get home you can't use the computer. If you can't leave it at work then leave it somewhere that is hard for you to get at such as a friends who lives half an hour away or something.

Also make a plan for what you will do with your evening instead. Don't just sit in front of the TV or browse on your phone. Pick a book and say you will read for an hour or whatever. Cook a meal. Exercise. Write. Watch a movie or TV show you have wanted to watch for ages but never did.

Do that for one night in the week and see how it goes for a month.

I am trying now and in fact it is very hard.

Even with rage I am feeling this rage and want to SMASH the computer in half.

WHILE INDEED YOU MAY ######ING SAY YES COMPUTERS ARE THE FUTURE, CODING,ETC ALL THAT. YES WELL DONE TO YOU.... THIS IS STILL DIFFERNT. EVEN ON LETS SAY CODING PROJECTS I AM CRAVING THE COMPUTER OVERALL. I CRAVE IT. FULL STOP AND THIS I HAVE HAD ENOUGH OF IT. ######ING NJUWAOIUAS

I have deleted my computer profiles, booksmarks,etc (EVEN EXTREME IMPORTANT (important to me, as in some really items on the computer saved such as files,logins,etc I deleted I am so motivated to quit it.

but right when I go to get rid of the computer my brain gives this wave of this good feeling (like motivation), I feel good and it says go on the computer and do something (entertainment wise).

THE COMPUTER HAS TAKEN over my life and has messed me up by 80%. I hold a extreme strong 30% . AND I WILL QUIT THIS.

I WILL.

QUIT

I HAVE REACHED A POINT to where I am fully raged with this computer. a lot of money too wasted on it to ruine some of my life.

THE MAIN THING IS, EVEN NOW I AM OVER 110% TO GET RID OF THE COMPUTER.

BUT WHEN I TRY MY BRAIN OVER POWERS ME, AND IT GIVES THIS DRIVE TO GO BACK ON EVERYTHING ON THE COMPUTER, ALL RUBBISH AND WASTE OF TIME.

AWHWHWH!!!

We live in the computer age, Its not about throwing the pc away its more about you finding something else to occupy your idle time, reading paper books, going for walks other and other activities even for a short time will help you break the cycle of sitting in front of the computer procrastinating.

Lemon3, I am a licensed psychotherapist.  Although some of your comments make me wonder what's really going on, it is quite clear that you need a professional consultation. Please contact your healthcare provider ASAP.

Lemon3, I am a licensed psychotherapist.  Although some of your comments make me wonder what's really going on, it is quite clear that you need a professional consultation. Please contact your healthcare provider ASAP.

I agree. If you really feel so overwhelmed by your usage you should seek professional help. If your emotional state is being damaged you need to talk to someone who has proper training in this area.

Good luck.