Selling my Xbox One - What happens to the games?

I want to sell my Xbox as I don't have as much time to play it as I thought I would have. What happens to the downloaded games? If I remove my account, do the games stay? How would I go about letting the new owner keep the games?

Thanks

You would have to give the new owner the gamertag associated with the games if you want them to be able to keep the games. If you have have an Xbox 360 you can transfer your gamertag to another Windows Live ID, i don't believe its possible to transfer the gamertag to another Windows Live ID on the Xbox One.

I thought that when you bought games and content on Xbox, that they got associated with BOTH your gamertag, AND your console ID. At least that's how it worked on the 360. Is it different with the Xbox One?  If it's not different, then whoever's logged onto your console could play those games. 

Its associated with your account, not console. The games will still be on the console (unless you wipe them) but they wont be playable unless the person that buys it uses your gamertag (which the games are linked to).

Its quite simple, same as asking "I want to sell my IPad, will the person I sell it to be able to use my apps" - NO! unless you also give them your apple ID.

I thought that when you bought games and content on Xbox, that they got associated with BOTH your gamertag, AND your console ID. At least that's how it worked on the 360. Is it different with the Xbox One?  If it's not different, then whoever's logged onto your console could play those games. 

Indeed that is correct to an extent. The profile has the game associated with it and can use the game regardless of the console its signed in on, On the Xbox One the console which is set as that profiles "home console" can use the games regardless of the profile that owns it been signed in.

However presuming ashpowell did that, if he ever got a new console at a later date and set it as his home console, or that Xbox console ever went in for repair the licences would be revoked. (Presuming they are not on the Xbox One when his profile is deleted)

The new owner would never really own the games, or be guaranteed to always have access to them without having access to the Windows Live ID the profile is associated with.

Unfortunately ashpowell your gamertag is stuck with the games for any games you bought digital versions of. Physical versions of games you bought you can just sell the game disc with the Xbox One.

If the buyer doesn't have his own Microsoft ID he wants to use you may be able to sell your ID along with the games but if you owned a Xbox 360 and had games associated to it with that gamertag you lose those games also and any achievements you had.

Sorry to say but In most cases I think the digital games you bought will have to be taken as a loss.

Sorry to say but In most cases I think the digital games you bought will have to be taken as a loss.

That is a minus to buying a digital game on any platform, no resell/giving potential. 

That is a minus to buying a digital game on any platform, no resell/giving potential. 

Not really a minus when you pay them less than 20$. But i would never pay full price for a digital download for this reason. Can't resell them. All my games on Steam i paid them 20$ or less. Same for my 360 digital download. Just bought Max Payne 3 digital for my 360 cause it was 5$.

• 2 weeks later...

Its associated with your account, not console. The games will still be on the console (unless you wipe them) but they wont be playable unless the person that buys it uses your gamertag (which the games are linked to).

Its quite simple, same as asking "I want to sell my IPad, will the person I sell it to be able to use my apps" - NO! unless you also give them your apple ID.

Really?  That's not how it works on the 360. 

99% of  games on demand, arcade games and DLC once downloaded onto a console work with ANY gamertag, regardless if the 'owning' gamertag is on the console or not

That is a minus to purchasing a GAME (or software as a whole) on any platform - it is tied to the purchaser.

That is, in fact, the driving factor behind rights management.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry for the late reply, thank's everyone for the input.. Looks like I'll just let them have the gamertag - Moving to PS4 and not really bothered about keeping points etc in the future.

A lesson learnt for future purchases though. The bit what confused me is reading on the Microsoft site somewhere about transferring games via gamertags - This must have been meaning the 360 version like some of you stated.

Ney mind :)

Sorry for the late reply, thank's everyone for the input.. Looks like I'll just let them have the gamertag - Moving to PS4 and not really bothered about keeping points etc in the future.

A lesson learnt for future purchases though. The bit what confused me is reading on the Microsoft site somewhere about transferring games via gamertags - This must have been meaning the 360 version like some of you stated.

How much ya selling it for???... And what games do you have?

How much ya selling it for???... And what games do you have?

?385 with Forza 5 (digital), Battlefield 4 (digital), COD Ghosts (Disc), Dead Rising 3 (Disc with Season Pass), Kinect, Controller, Headset, TV Mount, Plug & Play Charger.

Basically just want to cover the cost of ps4 & infamous. I should have looked at the type of games first more than I did & was just swayed more by ability to play films from pc to xbox

?385 with Forza 5 (digital), Battlefield 4 (digital), COD Ghosts (Disc), Dead Rising 3 (Disc with Season Pass), Kinect, Controller, Headset, TV Mount, Plug & Play Charger.

Basically just want to cover the cost of ps4 & infamous. I should have looked at the type of games first more than I did & was just swayed more by ability to play films from pc to xbox

Wow never realized how pricey things are over in the UK

I wouldn't sell it. I would keep it. You may not find many Xbox One games you like now, but in the future who knows.

And then It doesn't make much sense to sell the PS4 and buy another Xbox One. It's you're money, but you will be losing money everytime you change platform.

I believe this generation is the one, the one were there will be more people with both systems because of the exclusives.

So why not keep it and wait some time until you save money for the PS4?

Wow never realized how pricey things are over in the UK

When launched the xbox alone cost ?450, now it's at ?380.

Each game cost me around ?50 too. Then theres the plug n play at ?20.. soon adds up, ?385 is a good deal.

I wouldn't sell it. I would keep it. You may not find many Xbox One games you like now, but in the future who knows.

And then It doesn't make much sense to sell the PS4 and buy another Xbox One. It's you're money, but you will be losing money everytime you change platform.

I believe this generation is the one, the one were there will be more people with both systems because of the exclusives.

So why not keep it and wait some time until you save money for the PS4?

Yeah you may have a point.. Birthday soon so may hint at the wife haha

If your confident that you don't want the Xbox One and want a PS4 instead the longer you wait to sell it the cheaper it becomes. Look at what exclusives are coming out for it and if you'd be interested in them. Multiplatform games the PS4 runs these better. So if you mostly play multplatform games or prefer the PS4 exclusives over the Xbox ones then I wouldn't wait to sell or leave a $400 console laying around collecting dust.

Check online classifieds there might be people who want to do a direct swap.

If your not confident that you want to just outright get rid of the X1, then definitely look into what announced exclusive are coming for it. Of course that will not tell you everything since there are bound to be more announcements as the year goes on, but its a start.

Also, if you have any interest in uses beyond gaming (media playback/TV for instance), then that could be another reason for you hold on to the console. That certainly played into my thinking for getting both.

It will also matter if there is a way for you to get a ps4 soon without selling the X1, which it sounds like there is. Plenty to consider for sure.

• 7 months later...

Hi, first post!

I've been reading about this topic because I'd like to buy a CoD Ltd edition from someone. I understand games are not transferrable.

What I've been wondering though, are the games bound to a live account or the gamertag?

Would it be possible to take over someone's live account? We could replace his personal details with mine, I change the password and once that's done, he can create a new live account and follow Microsofts article on how to transfer a gamertag to a new live account.

I can then transfer my gamertag to the new live account, if I wanted to, or just use the new account.

Would this work?

Thanks!

Hi, first post!

I've been reading about this topic because I'd like to buy a CoD Ltd edition from someone. I understand games are not transferrable.

What I've been wondering though, are the games bound to a live account or the gamertag?

Would it be possible to take over someone's live account? We could replace his personal details with mine, I change the password and once that's done, he can create a new live account and follow Microsofts article on how to transfer a gamertag to a new live account.

I can then transfer my gamertag to the new live account, if I wanted to, or just use the new account.

Would this work?

Thanks!

thats  a huge risk for all parties involved... 

What you are requesting would require a LOT of trust and honesty on all parties involved..

And Microsoft may notice a name change as well in they're database..

When you buy a digital game on Xbox, Microsoft's has the real person's name of who bought the game the credit card info, address, etc..

should anything happen with the game/console, Microsoft will only work with the real person who paid for it...

And if anything legal were to pop up, things could get a whole lot worse...

You don't need to worry about letting them have your GT. As long as that Xbox is set as your home Xbox, they will get your games what you had.

Happened to my mate when he bought one from CeX, got a free copy of COD:AW.

• Jim K locked this topic