What a Jony Ive's (Flat) OS X Might Look Like...

I'm the opposite. I constantly use Mission Control and virtual desktops and find window management in other OS's to be a nightmare. 

Mission Control is fine if you only need to switch between apps a few times per minute. In my case, I just found it too slow to frequently switch between 4-10 apps with (internet, email, word, excel, outlook, preview, gimp, grab, filezilla, etc.).

Over time, I just got tired of waiting for Mission Control. By the time I swiped up (or down - can't remember, sold my Mac) to activate it, there's 500ms-2s gone. Then I had to choose the app to switch to and select it - another 500ms-2s wasted. It probably added up to minutes over a day.

The Windows taskbar (and many Linux alternatives) allows switching to an app/windows instantly (I've set taskbar buttons to not combine BTW).

Of course, AeroSnap is a feature which greatly speeds up my work too - seriously, why doesn't Mac OS X ('the most advanced OS in the world') feature this yet? I wouldn't mind to be in Craig Federighi's place right now, and redesign OS X to enable a Windows user to be just as productive on a Mac.

(I should mention that I've enjoyed experimenting with OSs since the mid-90s (not a Windows fanboy in any way). I was one of those who stuck with OS 9 quite a while after OS X was released.)

sshot66.png.jpg

Of course, AeroSnap is a feature which greatly speeds up my work too - seriously, why doesn't Mac OS X ('the most advanced OS in the world') feature this yet? I wouldn't mind to be in Craig Federighi's place right now, and redesign OS X to enable a Windows user to be just as productive on a Mac.

When can we expect Mission Control, the ability to hide/close all windows without quitting the corresponding app and multiple desktops on Windows so Mac users can be just as productive on a PC?

In all seriousness, I have absolutely no idea why people use a Mac with the expectation OS X will work exactly the same as Windows or why they would want it to be. OS X ? Windows (thank God), nor does it try to be or is it being advertised as such. If you can't deal with that simply stick to Windows. I don't expect Windows to work the same way as OS X either. And no offense, but I can't help but chuckle when someone actually complains about an action taking half a second. There's a 0,5 second delay in Windows 7 / 8 as well before the taskbar thumbnails appear, Peek activates or the Charms bar is visible (just to name a few things).

Long story short: if you want an OS to work exactly like Windows, just use Windows. There's no point in having different operating systems to choose from if they all operate in the same fashion.

I like some of these concepts that have been posted. I could see OS X eventually moving towards a design like that, though I suspect it will probably be more gradual than in a single release.