What a Jony Ive's (Flat) OS X Might Look Like...

Although it is just a concept, I can't say I like the non-transparent old-style buttons on transparent blurred and coloured background. Also the inconsistency between rounded and flat corners (though I guess this is present in most GUIs). Good enough for a concept, though.

EDIT: Look at the Mail app, for example. Everything has flat corners, except for the buttons at the top, the search textbox and the 'Your answer...' textbox.

The iPhoto scheme looks nice.

The Mail looks nice, but Windows 8.1 Modern Mail is better with the exception of the contact photo. That's a nice addition that adds a pleasing splash of color.

Even with the inconsistencies noted by some, I like some of what you have done especially the subtle transparency on the window borders.

Haha...even with like 4 or 5 screens it's totally inconsistent.

I really don't get that. Is it just suppose to be a mock up of different styles or is that suppose to be what they look like on the same PC?

It's very likely that the next OS X will have a design refresh, and very likely 80% of Mac users will complain that the last design was fine as it was (the new design will be too white. etc..) and then in will come the article and forum posts "they are blurring the line between desktop OS and iOS".

At this point i'd be happy for it to adopt some design aspects of iOS.

More flat designs. :(

Although it has just made me go and see if there are any kind of themes available if this does happen, and I've been quite surprised. I'll have to check them out.

Haha...even with like 4 or 5 screens it's totally inconsistent.

Totally agree. At first i thought it was by a handful of different designers but apparently it isn't, it's just that they do indeed lack consistency.

Forget the theme - what seriously needs an overhaul is window switching/the Dock.

OS X has always been weak in this area. Unfortunately, I think over time it has gotten worse (ie. with the introduction of Mission Control). Call me crazy, but I still prefer the Windows 95 taskbar over the Dock/Mission Control. Why? Switching between apps is instant. All open windows are right in front of you. No needing to hold down the mouse over a Dock icon and wait for a list of windows to come up. (I'm not a fan of Alt-Tab.)

Windows_95_taskbar_screenshot.png

The other thing is window clutter. I find is a huge problem when using OS X. Fortunately, I came across an app called Deeper, which can automatically configure OS X to hide an active window just before switching to another. Basically, this only allows one window/app to be in view at a time and makes the Dock behave in a similar way to the Windows taskbar, resulting in a much cleaner workspace. An option to enable this existed in Mac OS 9, but it was dropped during OS X development.

Forget the theme - what seriously needs an overhaul is window switching/the Dock.

OS X has always been weak in this area. Unfortunately, I think over time it has gotten worse (ie. with the introduction of Mission Control). Call me crazy, but I still prefer the Windows 95 taskbar over the Dock/Mission Control. Why? Switching between apps is instant. All open windows are right in front of you. No needing to hold down the mouse over a Dock icon and wait for a list of windows to come up. (I'm not a fan of Alt-Tab.)

Windows_95_taskbar_screenshot.png

The other thing is window clutter. I find is a huge problem when using OS X. Fortunately, I came across an app called Deeper, which can automatically configure OS X to hide an active window just before switching to another. Basically, this only allows one window/app to be in view at a time and makes the Dock behave in a similar way to the Windows taskbar, resulting in a much cleaner workspace. An option to enable this existed in Mac OS 9, but it was dropped during OS X development.

God NO, the Win 95 taskbar was not good at all aside from taking up space, it's why Alt+Tab became popular, just hide the horrible taskbar and use Alt+Tab, finally got better in Win 7 and is doing good in Win 8

the greatest thing about the new design is finally apple adopt translucency that's what make a software UI more life like. The flat icon isn't that great and too much white all over the element.

I'm the opposite. I constantly use Mission Control and virtual desktops and find window management in other OS's to be a nightmare. 

It's very likely that the next OS X will have a design refresh, and very likely 80% of Mac users will complain that the last design was fine as it was (the new design will be too white. etc..) and then in will come the article and forum posts "they are blurring the line between desktop OS and iOS".

At this point i'd be happy for it to adopt some design aspects of iOS.

When Mac OS X Panther was in beta I remember people freaking out as well. I still recall comments from people who said they would never ever upgrade beyond Mac OS X Jaguar unless original Aqua was restored. :laugh: Without a doubt we'll see the same thing happening this year.

I'm the opposite. I constantly use Mission Control and virtual desktops and find window management in other OS's to be a nightmare. 

Same here. Expos? and Mission Control are brilliant, especially in combination with a Magic Trackpad. It's the first thing I miss on Windows.