The 5 stages of Windows XP retirement...

5 stages of WinXP retirement (users):

1. Denial and Isolation

2. Anger

3. Bargaining

4. Depression

5. ... Denial?

5 stages of WinXP retirement (sys admin):

1. Hope

2. Joy

3. Happiness

4. Excitement

5. *RonPaul_ItsHappening.gif*

post-420821-0-01945100-1395704283.gif

Now we just need the 5 stages of training people how to use Windows 8 (IT Department): (For after the XP retirement)

1. Depression

2. Anger

3. Short tempterness

4. stress ball

5. ... insanity?

Now we just need the 5 stages of training people how to use Windows 8 (sys admin):

1. Depression

2. Anger

3. Short Tempered

4. stress ball

5. ... insanity?

lol

i've given younger and older people Windows 8 (and now 8.1) and they ALL start working right on after a three minute briefing (to show the new options, menus and such; it's a new OS after all); after that they all look at Windows XP of their colleges and say "can't go back to that POS" - true story - and incredibly they fiddle with the OS very fast.

Same can't be said for Office 2013 is a user comes from 2003, but all those that used Office 2007 until 2010 are very happy and productive with their Office 2013/Office 365.

I still support sporadic users of Office 2003. It's been so long since I've used it, that they have to end up telling me where things are in those forsaken drop downs. I'm not going to miss Office 2003, or WinXP.

lol

i've given younger and older people Windows 8 (and now 8.1) and they ALL start working right on after a three minute briefing (to show the new options, menus and such; it's a new OS after all); after that they all look at Windows XP of their colleges and say "can't go back to that POS" - true story - and incredibly they fiddle with the OS very fast.

And yet mysteriously windows 8.x has barely crept past Vista in terms of adoption rate and is going absolutely nowhere in marketshare grown.

And yet mysteriously windows 8.x has barely crept past Vista in terms of adoption rate and is going absolutely nowhere in marketshare grown.

Blah blah blah blah blah

Take it elsewhere

i dunno about that, almost every week I'm upgrading XP/7 to 8.1 computers, Server 2003 to 2012 R2, Office 2007/2010 to Office 365.. :laugh:

all the IT people are complaining about upgrading to win7 at my job, but everything i've done on win7 vs xp has been easier...    am i wrong in thinking that?

Nope. I've noticed first hand that supporting Windows 7 has been an easier process than supporting XP. Our ticket time averages have dropped significantly.

Nope. I've noticed first hand that supporting Windows 7 has been an easier process than supporting XP. Our ticket time averages have dropped significantly.

I'll agree with you on that. 7 is not so bad. Either was vista for that matter, other than when it took FOREVER to shut down...

• Like 2

Aren't Microsoft supposed to have started delivering messages through Windows Update urging XP users to upgrade to Win 8? I haven't seen any on my XP PC.

Microsoft should think about making Windows 7 available again...

I'll agree with you on that. 7 is not so bad. Either was vista for that matter, other than when it took FOREVER to shut down...

A faster way to kill all of Vista's processes was to hold down the power button for 5-10 seconds, or pull out the mains power plug from the wall (or in the case of a laptop, take the battery out and re-insert). I know one computing manager who did this, everyday. And they never had issues booting up again.

Aren't Microsoft supposed to have started delivering messages through Windows Update urging XP users to upgrade to Win 8? I haven't seen any on my XP PC.

Microsoft should think about making Windows 7 available again...

A faster way to kill all of Vista's processes was to hold down the power button for 5-10 seconds, or pull out the mains power plug from the wall (or in the case of a laptop, take the battery out and re-insert). I know one computing manager who did this!

People always blamed 3rd party software. But i've seen first hand vista taking 10 mins to shutdown after a fresh install. With nothing installed other than IE. It was weird because sometimes it would be quick other times it would be 10 mins.

5 stages of WinXP retirement (users):

1. Denial and Isolation

2. Anger

3. Bargaining

4. Depression

5. ... Denial?

5 stages of WinXP retirement (sys admin):

1. Hope

2. Joy

3. Happiness

4. Excitement

5. *RonPaul_ItsHappening.gif*

attachicon.gifron-paul.gif

Finance :

Do we really need to change to windows 7/8?   No?, then sorry but we don't buy a new pc.   Virus and vulnerabilities?, i don't get it, XP is vulnerable but windows 8 is also vulnerable so what's the deal?.

seems to me that, this WinXP armageddon fear mongering is only a marketting ploy by MSFT to force people to buy into win8/8.1 to pad the numbers. somepeople and some nations can't simply afford to upgrade like alot of us.

the chicken little, "the sky is falling" is hilarious at best. look at the mass hysteria that was Y2K... LOL... sure maybe easily compromised systems but geez, the FUD is like a rising pile of dung in a barn.

seems to me that, this WinXP armageddon fear mongering is only a marketting ploy by MSFT to force people to buy into win8/8.1 to pad the numbers. somepeople and some nations can't simply afford to upgrade like alot of us.

the chicken little, "the sky is falling" is hilarious at best. look at the mass hysteria that was Y2K... LOL... sure maybe easily compromised systems but geez, the FUD is like a rising pile of dung in a barn.

yeah who in their right mind decided to ditched a 13 year old OS which is very incompetent with todays hardware, is very costly to maintain for a business, takes time to troubleshoot and is incredible costly for Microsoft to develop and maintain, not to mention lack of integration of newer technologies and it would need an overhaul to support newer software and frameworks.. :rolleyes:

Lets be clear though. If someone has an XP machine at home, plugged into the Ethernet, behind a NAT router and using it for applications and never the internet. A virus won't magically crawl onto the machine.