Study Confirms: Men Stare At Women

By Vanessa Blanchard on October 29, 2013.

34ifhnp.jpg

A new study confirms the less than elusive phenomena that men stare at women?s breasts in ways that are best described as an ?ogle? or objectifying gaze as a way of evaluating the person before them. What this means is that upon encountering a woman for the first time, men tend to look first at her body and spend less time looking at her face. Specific areas of interest are, of course, the breasts, waist and hips.

What the study confirms is this, men tend to stare at women?s breasts, hips and waist before evaluating them. This was especially true when asked to evaluate their appearances over personality. This type of evaluation is referred to as ?objectifying? in the literature produced by the study and was found to yield patterns of evaluation based on body type.

Using technology that tracked the eye movements of the participants, researchers were able to record where gazes fell in on images presented to participants during the experimental process. The study included 36 men and 29 women from a Midwestern University of respectable size. The participants were presented images of women with varying body types and asked to rate them based on the criteria of personality or appearance.

binqlc.jpg

The body types were reflective of social ideals to differing degrees. The high ideal body type was a woman with an ?hourglass figure,? meaning she had large breasts and a small waist to hip ratio. Body types then varied all the way to the other extreme, the low ideal figure, which features a woman with small breasts and a bigger hip/waist relation. Men consistently looked to the figure before rating and rated women with the high ideal body type more favorably. They looked to the figure before the face and spent longer on the figure than the face. This was true of those asked to rate based on personality as well. Women with more highly favored body type were still rated higher and this rating was still based disproportionately on their body type than areas such as their face that would hold more indication of personality type.

Men were not the only group to yield this result. The female participants were also recorded as focusing on body type to determine women?s favorability. The effect was less pronounced than men but leads to the discussion that makes the study more meaty than it initially appears.

Full Article

• Like 2

I honestly try not to but it just happens unfortunately, It's a natural thing and I'm pretty sure everyone is well aware of this fact.

This isn't just related to sexual mates. Trying to find the link but there was a eye-tracking experiment done on reading magazines and they found that women focused on breasts for a *greater* percentage of the time than men.

"The high ideal body type was a woman with an ?hourglass figure,? meaning she had large breasts and a small waist to hip ratio."

Also resolved as a result: the "Lawrence/Upton phenomenon"

and they have to run a "study" for this? or maybe just looking for a good excuse to blatantly stare at women's breasts.

actually this study was done in parallel with the one about why men simply couldn't resist fingering the two big knobs on tuner radios.

in regards to this study.. pfft! is it any surprise? A mans sexuality is the visual stimulation of the female body. voluptuos breasts to a man is a sign a being able to nourish a child and hips for bearing children. women were built to attract men and men to attract women. no brainer alert!!!!!

Wasn't the same test done when some guy put extra padding down his trousers?  Each time the woman would check out his package.

The video was posted earlier.

Well next time I get busted by the wife for looking I now have an excuse. Hey, just want to make sure I'm still around to see my kid get married when she grows up, I don't want to look at random women but I'm doing it for her.

When I was overweight, I asked out a girl and first thing she says to me is "I am not jugemental based on your looks." But the next instant she tells me she has a bf which was a total lie. 

Anyway fast forward 6 months. I am 20kgs less and much leaner than before. Now suddenly after seeing me, this same girl is available and hitting on me all of a sudden like no tomorrow!

When they say they are not jugemental based on looks exactly means they are being jugemental at the given moment.

The gist is, like men, women are equally shallow when it comes to looks. This research is pointless. That's the law of nature unfortunately.