A Surprise Discovery In The Outer Solar System

By News Staff March 25th 2014 08:59 AM
An international team of astronomers, led by Felipe Braga-Ribas (Observat?rio Nacional/MCTI, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil), has used telescopes at seven locations in South America, including the 1.54-meter Danish and TRAPPIST telescopes at ESO?s La Silla Observatory in Chile, to make a surprise discovery in the outer Solar System.

The La Silla Observatory is located at the outskirts of the Chilean Atacama Desert, 600 km north of Santiago de Chile and at an altitude of 2400 metres. Like other observatories in this geographical area, La Silla is located far from sources of light pollution and, like the Paranal Observatory, home to the Very Large Telescope, it has one of the darkest night skies on the Earth. La Silla has been in operation since the 1960s. The infrastructure of La Silla is also used by many of the ESO Member States for targeted projects such as the Swiss 1.2-meter Leonhard Euler Telescope, the Rapid Eye Mount telescope (REM) and the TAROT Telescope gamma-ray burst chaser, as well as more common user facilities such as the MPG/ESO 2.2-meter and the Danish 1.54-meter telescopes. The 67-million pixel Wide Field Imager on the MPG/ESO 2.2-meter Telescope has taken many amazing images of celestial objects, some of which have now become icons in their own right.
The conference will be held on March 26th 2014 at 14:30 local time (BRT)
t7hf2v.gif
Source

• Like 2

read this post, didn't get the "surprise" as it wasn't even told; read the original article to found the same...

Exactly. The conference is happening in a few hours, that will be when the surprise is revealed. Although it sort of destroys the point in writing the article to begin with.

I hope it actually is a discovery that will provoke much debate. I'm bored with the current state of surprising discoveries and we could use a really good one by now.

Pretty neat find. It's so cool that we're still finding new things in our own solar system after so many years. I wonder what other things are yet undiscovered in the Kuiper belt.

Pretty neat find. It's so cool that we're still finding new things in our own solar system after so many years. I wonder what other things are yet undiscovered in the Kuiper belt.

Life :shiftyninja: