Game install on device?

xbox one microsoft storage support

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#16 neoadorable

neoadorable

Neowinian Senior

Posted 28 March 2014 - 01:24

It's like PC games now, the discs are basically installers, as the whole thing will go on the drive. And hahah Pat, that's five games, not four :ike:

There's nothing wrong with what you're doing, playing lots of different things at once is great, be happy you can do it. Don't worry about the space too much, just keep an eye on it. Those DVR clips can be annoying, and it's true a 500GB drive is just too small for systems where one product is 20GB-30GB. It should have been 1TB, but that's what we got, we can live with it.

#17 OP +patseguin

patseguin

Neowin Addict

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 28 March 2014 - 01:33

It's like PC games now, the discs are basically installers, as the whole thing will go on the drive. And hahah Pat, that's five games, not four :ike:

There's nothing wrong with what you're doing, playing lots of different things at once is great, be happy you can do it. Don't worry about the space too much, just keep an eye on it. Those DVR clips can be annoying, and it's true a 500GB drive is just too small for systems where one product is 20GB-30GB. It should have been 1TB, but that's what we got, we can live with it.

Yeah the thing I can't figure out though is if I can digital download Forza 5 and play it without a disc, why do I need a disc when I play the boxed version?

#18 Andrew

Andrew

Once More 'Round the Sun

• Tech Issues Solved: 9

Posted 28 March 2014 - 02:05

Yeah the thing I can't figure out though is if I can digital download Forza 5 and play it without a disc, why do I need a disc when I play the boxed version?

If you buy a game on XBL you don't need a corresponding retail disc to play it.

If you buy a retail game, you need to install the disc and have it in the X1 when you play the game.

If you mean can you download copies of your games because you own the retail disc, then no, that's not possible.

#19 neoadorable

neoadorable

Neowinian Senior

Posted 28 March 2014 - 02:49

I think Pat means if we can download software and use it exactly in the same manner as the retail disc version, why do we even need the disc once we finished installing said retail version? I believe it's just an archaic hold-over from passed times, basically protecting MS/Sony retail channel partners. I buy physical to support stores that i've come to have a relationship with. Of course the trade in value is still a huge factor as well. Trades where i live can be up to 50% of the cost of the next new release, which is very significant.

#20 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 28 March 2014 - 07:09

The original idea for the One was that retail discs would just be a physical delivery method for the digital download and you wouldn't need the disc.

Then all the complainers read the first line of the feature description didn't read what would actually happen and how it would work and did a minority whiner choir and got that all ruined.

But not needing the disc to play was the original idea along with several other benefits. But people complained because there was a one in a billion chance they would ever lose their internet for more than 24 hours one day in their lifetime ;)

#21 OP +patseguin

patseguin

Neowin Addict

Posted 28 March 2014 - 13:50

Yeah I still love my digital downloads which are only Titanfall, BF 4, and Dead Rising 3. It's nice to be able to tell the console to play any of the games without having to get up and put a disc in. I'm sure the discs are copy protected so I don't see why they couldn't just let us play without the disc. Maybe in a future version of the OS?

#22 Andrew

Andrew

Once More 'Round the Sun

• Tech Issues Solved: 9

Posted 28 March 2014 - 14:39

Yeah I still love my digital downloads which are only Titanfall, BF 4, and Dead Rising 3. It's nice to be able to tell the console to play any of the games without having to get up and put a disc in. I'm sure the discs are copy protected so I don't see why they couldn't just let us play without the disc. Maybe in a future version of the OS?

Because you could buy a game, install it, then sell the disc and keep playing it. Software sales would tank. It needs DRM hence the 180s last summer.

Don't turn this into a debate topic. It was a support topic and that's how it will stay.

#23 OP +patseguin

patseguin

Neowin Addict

Posted 28 March 2014 - 15:45

Because you could buy a game, install it, then sell the disc and keep playing it. Software sales would tank. It needs DRM hence the 180s last summer.

Don't turn this into a debate topic. It was a support topic and that's how it will stay.

That does make perfect sense.

Anyways, back on topic. If I install, say 12 games, and get full and install a 13th game, it will just deleted the least played game? I suppose this forces me to finish a game before playing another. There are just certain genres I always want on there like racing, shooter, etc.

#24 neoadorable

neoadorable

Neowinian Senior

Posted 29 March 2014 - 11:55

No idea as haven't encountered this yet, but I think it uses the same routines as Windows 8, it will tell you space isn't sufficient then recommend something to delete based on hotness, or usage. Doubt it will just auto remove stuff, that doesn't make much sense.