Freakbible - The bible freak's Bible

do you have both the old testament and king james versions?

Hi Xerino,

Yes, the old testament in king james version is available.  There are six translations of the Bible to choose from and I made it part of the app package so you don't need the internet to read them. Here is a screenshot of the preference panel under the app settings.  I'm hoping to sell enough of the app so I can afford copyrighted translations like the NIV. 

101.png

Wow! All windows 8 apps should lol this nice..

Thanks Blade1269.  Have to say though, there's a reason why there's not a lot of good apps in Windows, there's not a whole lot of market on the Windows Store.  I've been getting some really good feedbacks and ratings from people who buy my app but since it launched last year, April 2013, this app has made $180.  Microsoft only gives payout for apps that makes $200 and above so I really haven't made any money with this app.  But that's ok, because I use this app myself and I believe that I'm not just making a good Bible app for everyone else, I am making a good Bible app for me too. 

I'm not into bible reading, but: this app looks incredible! Good job!

Thanks for that Raphael.  It really is a moral booster when I get good feedback.  I'm adding some new features for an update and your comment is just what I needed to keep coding. 

• 4 weeks later...

That is SO cool. Congratulations for making that. I wish it was available in other languages like French. If I could browse the J?rusalem or New Liturgical Translation I think I'd be tempted to buy a Windows tablet just for that.

Thanks.  I'm constantly looking for copyright free data source to add Bible translations/commentary/dictionary but so far I have not found any besides the once I already have.

Not a huge fan of religion, but your app looks really nicely done and professional.  Have you considered releasing it for sale on other platforms?  Ubuntu supports "for sale" and proprietary software through their Ubuntu software center, and Apple has the Mac App Store as well.

Not a huge fan of religion, but your app looks really nicely done and professional.  Have you considered releasing it for sale on other platforms?  Ubuntu supports "for sale" and proprietary software through their Ubuntu software center, and Apple has the Mac App Store as well.

Thanks Gerowen, I took some time considering the financial benefit of releasing to other platforms specially with the low market on windows ecosystem - as I mentioned this app's combined income from windows 8 and windows 8.1 over the 1 year that it has been available did not even meet Microsoft payout quota. But, between my daytime job and family I haven't had time to start working on developing on other platforms.  I use my spare time providing update for the windows version and on the next release I'll be expanding to windows phone via universal apps.  Another issue I have is my location, I live in a small mining town in Australia and for the past 7 years that I've been living here, I have never met another programmer.  It would be great if I had a team of my peers, but for now, it's just me.  But, I have a spare iMac so maybe on my next holiday when I get enough free time I'll release an iPad version.

Hi Xerino,

Yes, the old testament in king james version is available.  There are six translations of the Bible to choose from and I made it part of the app package so you don't need the internet to read them. Here is a screenshot of the preference panel under the app settings.  I'm hoping to sell enough of the app so I can afford copyrighted translations like the NIV. 

101.png

I wouldn't bother including some of those translations of the bible. They have been changed and contain incorrect stuff. Check this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFtI_mVOXbQ. Also why is it called freak bible?

Bought your app as it looks great and it sounds like you need the support :)  Not sure the best way to promote an app like this, but it's a gorgeous app and I wish you best of luck with it.  Maybe think about making it a universal (Windows 8/WP8) app. 

EDIT: is there a search function? 

While this is something I would never use (as I don't like religion) it is a very well rounded application, and a few of the other developers could learn a thing or two from a useability standpoint from it.

Thanks.  I'm constantly looking for copyright free data source to add Bible translations/commentary/dictionary but so far I have not found any besides the once I already have.

Are you considering adding translations in other languages than English? It'd be worth asking the AELF for permission to use their liturgical translation, I have no idea what they would say but you lose nothing to ask I guess.

I wouldn't bother including some of those translations of the bible. They have been changed and contain incorrect stuff. Check this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFtI_mVOXbQ. Also why is it called freak bible?

Hi Soldiers33,  I am very much aware of this.  Having missing verses on some translations is not only bad theology but it's also bad for the database schema.  But, including these translations will allow users to actually validate for themselves that these changes have been made.  Most Christians are not aware that such issues exist.  I used the name "freakbible" because like most Christians, we often get bullied for our beliefs and one of the names they use to call me that got stuck with me is "biblefreak".  So, I thought that since "biblefreak" refers to the person, I would make up a name that refers to that person's Bible thus "freakbible - the biblefreak's Bible" :). 

Bought your app as it looks great and it sounds like you need the support :)  Not sure the best way to promote an app like this, but it's a gorgeous app and I wish you best of luck with it.  Maybe think about making it a universal (Windows 8/WP8) app. 

EDIT: is there a search function? 

Hi Siah1214,  Thank you for buying the app.  I'm glad that you like it.  I've started working on the WP8.1 version of the app and should be available soon for free to users who have already bought the Windows version.  Search functionality is not yet available but I would definitely include it in the coming updates.  I often release updates on the features and capabilities of the app and most of those updates are based on customer feedback.  I make it a point that the users have a say on what feature gets included for each release so feel free to contact me here or via email at support@freakbible.com and I'll make sure to consider your request during development.

While this is something I would never use (as I don't like religion) it is a very well rounded application, and a few of the other developers could learn a thing or two from a useability standpoint from it.

Thanks Ph1b3r0pt1c,  Your positive feedback means a lot for indie developers like me.  I read feedbacks and reviews like yours during development to keep me motivated in releasing updates for the app.

It would be nice if you included the original Hebrew and Greek texts.

Hi msr714, Hebrew and Greek text certainly would be a great addition to the app.  Rest assured that I am continually working on finding copyright free material to include in the app.  References like Bible translations, commentaries and dictionaries will be included in future updates of the app.

Are you considering adding translations in other languages than English? It'd be worth asking the AELF for permission to use their liturgical translation, I have no idea what they would say but you lose nothing to ask I guess.

Hi Andre,  I took your advice, went to their website and sent them a message on their website's contact form.  Crossing my fingers now.  Hoping they would reply in English.  :D

It would be great to see the ESV and NASB on there. I know the ESV has an API for online reading.

Hi jkenn99,  ESV have similar Copyright and Permissions Information as other translations owned by Crossway.  Although they have an online API, I would prefer that users of my app would be able to read the Bible even if internet connection was not available.  I grew up in the company of missionaries and most of the time, they are in places where the internet is not always accessible.  Providing them a local copy of the Bible allows the app to be useful on such places.  But, having an online only translation for verses they select would be a great feature for the app and would bypass most copyright requirements.  Thanks for the idea, I'll work on how this can be implemented on the UI/UX.  I may need to do more research on this just to make sure that I am not breaking any copyright laws.

• 8 months later...

Great job on this app (it's a very well thought out design & layout), I am passing it on to some friends hopefully you will surpass the $200 this year :)

As many others have said, I am not a fan of religion, in fact, the only thing I am religious about is not being religious - aside from that - its nice looking.  Aesthetically, it is one of the nicest Ive seen.  You are a good example of something I tell people all the time:  it takes more than just someone who can write code to make good looking website/app - you have to know what looks good and what doesnt - you have to be part artist, part programmer.