win8.1

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#16 LaP

LaP

Forget about it

• Tech Issues Solved: 4

Posted 27 March 2014 - 16:09

You can do a clean install with an upgrade, you either have to do a double install or the registry trick, both of which are supported by Microsoft.

Never did any of them. On all my upgrade installs (7 upgrade and 8 upgrade) there was an option in the install process to do a clean install.

In fact before installing Windows 7 and 8 upgrade i formatted my HD both time to remove any trace of Windows and was able to install them without any trouble.

#17 firey

firey

F͎̗͉͎͈͑͡ȉ͎̣̐́ṙ͖̺͕͙̓̌è̤̞͉̟̲͇̍̍̾̓ͥͅy͓̍̎̌̏̒

• Tech Issues Solved: 6
  • Phone: Android (4.1.2)

Posted 27 March 2014 - 16:19

You can do a clean install with an upgrade copy. I think you just need to have a previous version of Windows activated on the same machine to be able to activate the upgrade without calling MS.

Anyway i always did clean install with my upgrade copy and never had problem activating them.

by clean slate I meant empty hdd fresh from the factory with nothing on it.

#18 Gotenks98

Gotenks98

Neowinian

Posted 27 March 2014 - 17:16

Never did any of them. On all my upgrade installs (7 upgrade and 8 upgrade) there was an option in the install process to do a clean install.

In fact before installing Windows 7 and 8 upgrade i formatted my HD both time to remove any trace of Windows and was able to install them without any trouble.

This is like what said earlier, you get the option to do a custom install if booting from the disc. The windows setup looks on the HDD to see if there is a Windows install there. It does not have to be an activated install, it just needs to be some install. That essentially sets the flag in the registry to say this was an upgrade so when you get to the activation part it works. That's why it works even if you format. It checks for that before you format it.

If you had a blank HDD, you would have to install Windows then edit the registry to change the flag to say it was an upgrade and then it would let you activate after you do the rearm command.

It in no way looks at the previous installation disc. In fact you don't even get that option to do such during Windows setup for Vista going forward to insert a disc. In the XP days you would get that prompt.

#19 OP xWhiplash

xWhiplash

Neowinian Senior

Posted 27 March 2014 - 19:46

This is like what said earlier, you get the option to do a custom install if booting from the disc. The windows setup looks on the HDD to see if there is a Windows install there. It does not have to be an activated install, it just needs to be some install. That essentially sets the flag in the registry to say this was an upgrade so when you get to the activation part it works. That's why it works even if you format. It checks for that before you format it.

If you had a blank HDD, you would have to install Windows then edit the registry to change the flag to say it was an upgrade and then it would let you activate after you do the rearm command.

It in no way looks at the previous installation disc. In fact you don't even get that option to do such during Windows setup for Vista going forward to insert a disc. In the XP days you would get that prompt.

But regarding the EULA, it is not right installing an upgrade edition on a blank drive right?  Or more importantly, it is not within the EULA to install on a blank drive on a computer that has had NO windows version at all right?

I know these things are possible, but I like to follow EULAs to the letter.  That is why I found the OEM and Personal Use License so confusing.  I am glad 8.1 brought back the Full License.

#20 Gotenks98

Gotenks98

Neowinian

Posted 27 March 2014 - 22:31

But regarding the EULA, it is not right installing an upgrade edition on a blank drive right?  Or more importantly, it is not within the EULA to install on a blank drive on a computer that has had NO windows version at all right?

I know these things are possible, but I like to follow EULAs to the letter.  That is why I found the OEM and Personal Use License so confusing.  I am glad 8.1 brought back the Full License.

If going by the EULA you can only do upgrade if you have a license for another OS. whether the drive is blank does not matter or not. OEM is just a cheaper version of the full license thats not transferable to another system. Full can be transferred. However I have seen people call MS for activation to transfer an OEM license due to motherboard failure. They will do this but you might have to speak to an agent instead of the robo dialer.

#21 OP xWhiplash

xWhiplash

Neowinian Senior

Posted 04 April 2014 - 16:47

Why does the MS page say this?

"Important: Windows 8.1 Pro full version is for Windows 7 users only. Currently running Windows Vista or XP? First upgrade to Windows 8 Pro. Upon installation you can update to 8.1 for free.".  I thought this is the full version not the upgrade version?  What if I want 8.1 on my Mac and follow the EULA?

#22 mastercoms

mastercoms

Expert Microsoft Fanboy & C# Coder

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: Lumia 928 WP8.1U1 Black

Posted 04 April 2014 - 16:52

Windows 8.1 licensing has changed. The upgrade and full version are the same.

#23 OP xWhiplash

xWhiplash

Neowinian Senior

Posted 04 April 2014 - 16:57

So it is not the full version then?  Why the hell does it say full version?  How am I supposed to get 8.1 on a mac or on a built computer?

#24 mastercoms

mastercoms

Expert Microsoft Fanboy & C# Coder

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: Lumia 928 WP8.1U1 Black

Posted 04 April 2014 - 17:11

So it is not the full version then?  Why the hell does it say full version?  How am I supposed to get 8.1 on a mac or on a built computer?

There is only one version, which you can use to upgrade from a Windows OS, install on a built computer, or put on a mac.

I would recommend for you to buy directly from Microsoft.

http://www.microsoft...uctID=288401500

#25 OP xWhiplash

xWhiplash

Neowinian Senior

Posted 04 April 2014 - 17:20

That version says it is for Windows 7 users only.  If I build my own computer, I will not have Windows 7.  

#26 PGHammer

PGHammer

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 26 April 2014 - 07:20

That version says it is for Windows 7 users only.  If I build my own computer, I will not have Windows 7.  

Then you want a System Builder DVD or image - either via Microsoft directly or any System Builder participating retailer or e-tailer (TigerDirect, Amazon, MicroCenter, Fry's/tpost, etc.).

#27 OP xWhiplash

xWhiplash

Neowinian Senior

Posted 26 April 2014 - 13:03

I thought the EULA of the system builder license is for when you are building a computer for somebody else (like Dell)?