Do you go hunting often with an AK47?

shhh, don't tell anyone.

#17 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• 16,635 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 27 March 2014 - 16:51

While the picture is in remarkably poor taste it certainly isn't something he should be forced to resign for. That said, it probably won't help his reelection prospects.

#18 Louisifer

Louisifer

'-'

• 583 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 17:19

As someone who lives in Derby I couldn't care less that he's in a photo posing with a gun, He's explained that the gun belongs to a body guard of a friend and that he was allowed to pose with it..

Just because he is a councillor and magistrate doesn't mean he cant do what he wants in his own time, he could like guns and was given the rare opportunity to hold a real one in his hands, it doesn't mean he's one step away from going crazy and ready to mow down the opposition. :s

Lets replace the gun with a Tank, a machine designed murder at long range and crush anything in front of it, would you turn down a friend saying "Hey, go stand in it and I'll take a picture of you!" I know I wouldn't!

Does it mean I want to go crazy and do some damage with it? No.  I would be taking a rare opportunity to pose with a machine of immense power, not everyone gets the chance to.

This is just cross party rivalry in order to get more seats or whatever.

#19 Skiver

Skiver

Neowinian Senior

• 3,539 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 17:25

As someone who lives in Derby I couldn't care less that he's in a photo posing with a gun, He's explained that the gun belongs to a body guard of a friend and that he was allowed to pose with it..

Just because he is a councillor and magistrate doesn't mean he cant do what he wants in his own time, he could like guns and was given the rare opportunity to hold a real one in his hands, it doesn't mean he's one step away from going crazy and ready to mow down the opposition. :s

Lets replace the gun with a Tank, a machine designed murder at long range and crush anything in front of it, would you turn down a friend saying "Hey, go stand in it and I'll take a picture of you!" I know I wouldn't!

Does it mean I want to go crazy and do some damage with it? No.  I would be taking a rare opportunity to pose with a machine of immense power, not everyone gets the chance to.

Unless others are wrong, I would argue its not the fact he is holding a gun, its the fact he is holding an illegal gun. Would you have the same opinion if he was holding a bag of "someone elses" cocaine? 

If it's illegal and you have a position of power, you drag your image through the dirt by posting an image that glorifies it. 

#20 kurupy

kurupy

Neowinian

• 199 posts
  • Phone: HTC One X (Slimbean 4.3)

Posted 27 March 2014 - 17:40

Fixed the problem for him...  :rofl:

chcikengun.jpg

#21 DocM

DocM

Neowinian Senior

• 18,097 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 17:44

Do you go hunting often with an AK47?

Quite a few people do with the semi-automatic version. They're cheap and survive hunting in swamps, especially if dropped in the muck.

Ballistically its very similar to the .30-30 round often used for deer and other mid-size large game hunting. Not as powerful as the .30-06 or .300 Magnum, more powerful than the .223 or .270.

There's of cross-pollenation between hunting and military rounds. The M-16/AR-15's 5.56mm started out as the .223 Remington varmint round. The 7.62mm NATO started out as the .308 Winchester hunting round. The .30-06 went military to hunting, as has the AK's 7.62x39mm. And others.

#22 Louisifer

Louisifer

'-'

• 583 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 17:45

I don't know enough about the laws over there, Just from a google search it appears that they have a massive issue with illegal guns how is a visitor supposed to know if a body guards weapon is legit or one of the easily accessible illegal weapons?

Do you think someone in a position like his would post a picture of himself on twitter for everyone to see (including people looking to discredit him) with an illegal weapon if he knew it was?

#23 Clirion

Clirion

Neowinian

• 909 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 17:47

Is this an AK-47 (India's Force-One uses the weapon along with their Military in the field (even though they are not supposed to)) or the Trichy with its Stock Folded back?

The Trichy is an AK-47 clone.  They look alike from some angles.  

*Most likley not the Trichy.  I do not see the muzzle enclosure that is on the Trichy.

(ooppsss)

#24 DocM

DocM

Neowinian Senior

• 18,097 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 17:56

In the US a Democrat candidate for Senator used a video of him endorsing the NRA and shooting up a copy of the Obama's cap & trade legislation in his campaign. He won.

#25 +Lovell

Lovell

,l,(-.-),l,

• 1,672 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 20:23

How did he get hold of AK47 in India?

That is the correct question to be asked.

He said a politician friend in India allowed him to pose with a bodyguard's assault rifle while he was visiting the country in September.

I'm assuming bodyguards protecting politicians are exempt from the usual?

#26 OP Shaun N.

Shaun N.

Perfidious

• 5,357 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 06:35

You can't just brush it off as cross party rivalry just because the rival was the one to point it out. It could have been a friend of his to bring it to light and the other party not mentioned anything, what would you say then? friendly banter?

#27 +zhiVago

zhiVago

Pax Orbis

• 9,319 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 06:58

I believe that there's no such thing as negative PR, especially when it's being done at no expense to you.

“The gun was not loaded and I asked someone to take a picture of me holding it last September when I was on holiday in India.

“It has been my profile picture on my Twitter page for seven months and no-one has complained during that time but now, in the run-up to an election on May 22, someone has told The Sun about it and they have published the story.

“I am absolutely convinced that whoever has done this has done so for political reasons.”

http://www.derbytele...tail/story.html

I personally don't exclude a possibility that his own camp might have leaked the image to give their candidate a boost in publicity.

Someone who had known nothing about him before, may now see a more masculine side of this counsellor/justice of the peace. A justice of the peace isn't some kind of a sissy. A candidate must project power and authority. However, it could also backfire tremendously as someone may deem it to be too radical or extreme. It's a gamble.

#28 FloatingFatMan

FloatingFatMan

Resident Fat Dude

• 16,017 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 07:23

Sorry Zhiv, but English people don't generally see toting around a gun as particularly masculine.  We tend to see it as quite threatening, actually, and this will harm his political reputation.

I've never heard of this guy, and my initial reaction to reading the story and seeing the pic was "Definitely dodgy, shouldn't be in office".

#29 +zhiVago

zhiVago

Pax Orbis

• 9,319 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 07:49

Sorry Zhiv, but English people don't generally see toting around a gun as particularly masculine.  We tend to see it as quite threatening, actually, and this will harm his political reputation.

I've never heard of this guy, and my initial reaction to reading the story and seeing the pic was "Definitely dodgy, shouldn't be in office".

I agree, I did say it could backfire, however, English people share England with many other nationalities and he could be betting on the support provided by the immigrants.

#30 FloatingFatMan

FloatingFatMan

Resident Fat Dude

• 16,017 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 07:52

I agree, however, English people share England with many other nationalities and he could be betting on the support provided by the immigrants.

Not a chance in hell.  This is far more likely to have been done to sabotage his political career more than anything else, and there's far more chance of that happening than the opposite.