• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 riahc3

riahc3

Neowin's most indecisive member

• Tech Issues Solved: 11
  • Phone: HTC Desire Z

Posted 28 March 2014 - 09:15

(Not sure if this belongs in the Network Section and no, this isn not for me)

Well, title is pretty simple :laugh: Im looking for the best 2 drive NAS. RAID1. SMTP would be nice in case of the drives fail.

Right now, its the best I can give you: Simple and a low cost :)

I apologize before hand if more requirements come forward but I don't think I need anything else.

#2 Fahim S.

Fahim S.

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: Google Nexus 4

Posted 28 March 2014 - 11:15

What is it going to be used for? Document storage? Streaming media? Backup?

What do you consider low cost?

Why is RAID1 a specific requirement?  What are you trying to protect against?

#3 OP riahc3

riahc3

Posted 28 March 2014 - 11:35

What is it going to be used for? Document storage? Streaming media? Backup?

Running/storing a database on.

What do you consider low cost?

Well, in this scenario, I think something you can buy in bulk. I understand that your question is very variable though...

Why is RAID1 a specific requirement?  What are you trying to protect against?

RAID1 is mirroring if Im not mistaken so if a drive dies, it the system should be kept running. Reason why I stated that SMTP could be nice as it is a simple way to notify that a drive has failed.

#4 Fahim S.

Fahim S.

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: Google Nexus 4

Posted 28 March 2014 - 12:01

Running/storing a database on.

Well, in this scenario, I think something you can buy in bulk. I understand that your question is very variable though...

RAID1 is mirroring if Im not mistaken so if a drive dies, it the system should be kept running. Reason why I stated that SMTP could be nice as it is a simple way to notify that a drive has failed.

Do you want the NAS to run the database engine or just store the database files on? What database engine is it? If it is just to store files, what operating system are you using? If it is the latter (i.e. just store files), would iSCSI not be a requirement? 

The answer on cost is very vague.  You may be able to buy $1M NAS in bulk.  You need to be clearer.

You know how I feel about NAS appliances (they aren't worth the money), but if you are looking for a recommendation then the Synology DS214 (£216) and Thecus N2800 (£273) seem like fairly safe bets.

There is also a QNAP model which sounds very good (TS-269 Pro) but comes in at almost double the price.

Just as a point of comparison the HP Proliant Microserver N54L comes in at about £225 which gives you a 4 bay machine which could be running FreeNAS or a similar operating system.

#5 OP riahc3

riahc3

Posted 28 March 2014 - 12:40

Do you want the NAS to run the database engine or just store the database files on?

Im debating on that personally; Initially, it just just store the database files on BUT running the database engine should be a good option.

Problem is that most NAS dont allow upgrading or installing database engines. Example, I was running MySQL 5.5 on a PC and it didnt support millisecond timestamps. I had to upgrade it to 5.6 which did perfectly. Some NASs dont support this so thats why we cant rely on the engine being ran on the NAS...

What database engine is it? If it is just to store files, what operating system are you using? If it is the latter (i.e. just store files), would iSCSI not be a requirement?

Unknown. I would most likely do MySQL server or SQL Compact.

Well, these can be shared via your standard SMB shares and network drives right? Thats why Im thinking of a NAS.

The answer on cost is very vague.  You may be able to buy $1M NAS in bulk.  You need to be clearer.

Sadly, I cant give you a budget. There is, for example, a Synology DS214+ at €299.60 which seems a bit bulky to buy more than one.

Just in case: No, buying a 8 disk or 12 or etc disk is not a option in this scenario nor is a NUC or anything like that.

You know how I feel about NAS appliances (they aren't worth the money), but if you are looking for a recommendation then the Synology DS214 (£216) and Thecus N2800 (£273) seem like fairly safe bets.

That Synology to me seems overpriced to buy more than one. If there is no option, then there is no option but...

Just as a point of comparison the HP Proliant Microserver N54L comes in at about £225 which gives you a 4 bay machine which could be running FreeNAS or a similar operating system.

This isnt for me :)

#6 JamesCherrill

JamesCherrill

Neowinian

Posted 28 March 2014 - 12:48

I have a ZyXel NAS320 - two bay RAID etc. Under $100.  I have found it to be fast, quiet, very easy to run. Recommended

#7 xrobwx

xrobwx

Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Galaxy Note II

Posted 28 March 2014 - 12:51

http://manuals.lacie.../raid2big/start

http://www.anandtech...2big-nas-review

This Lacie is the one we use at my paint shop. However, we do not "run" anything from it. Just offsite backup. But it is RAID 1 capable. I think we paid $400.00 back in Dec 2013.

#8 xendrome

xendrome

In God We Trust; All Others We Monitor

• Tech Issues Solved: 12

Posted 28 March 2014 - 12:51

Synology hands down... DS214 model or DS213 model.

#9 +Boo Berry

Boo Berry

Neowinian Ghost

• Tech Issues Solved: 6

Posted 28 March 2014 - 12:55

Yeah, I'm a bit biased but I highly recommend Synology NASes.

#10 Jason S.

Jason S.

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 28 March 2014 - 12:55

Synology - ive had my DS409 for 5 yrs now, and it's still going strong.

#11 philcruicks

philcruicks

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 6
  • Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 28 March 2014 - 13:11

Synology if you want a reliable pre-built system, may cost a little more than other makes but its well worth it.

#12 #Michael

#Michael

Neowinian Senior

Posted 28 March 2014 - 13:17

Synology hands down... DS214 model or DS213 model.

+1 for this.  Hands down you cannot go wrong with the ds214 model.  I got one off of amazon for $299 and it is the best.

#13 offroadaaron

offroadaaron

root can touch you anywhere

Posted 28 March 2014 - 13:26

+1 for Synology, best NAS I've used!

#14 +Odom

Odom

Neowinian Senior

Posted 28 March 2014 - 13:44

There is also a QNAP model which sounds very good (TS-269 Pro) but comes in at almost double the price.

You don't have to pick the most expensive dual bay QNAP model. There are a lot of others with 2 bays, ranging from 109£ to 460£, depending on your needs.

#15 +patseguin

patseguin

Neowin Addict

• Phone: iPhone 6

Posted 28 March 2014 - 13:54

I love Synology NAS's. They have great build quality, superior support, and great software called DSM. They also have a wide variety of packages available like mySQL and more. I have the 5 bay DS1511+ and an expansion 5 bay box for 30TB of data for all my movies and TV shows. In this 5 bay version you can put in 2 disks and just add as you go. If you'll only ever need 2 disks, WD has a box with 2 drives in it. I have it for my time machine backup on my iMac. It's no substitute for a NAS, but you can connect it to a computer for some decent storage.