Best 2 drive NAS

Does MySQL need to be 100% up or will you be using it for education/testing?  If it doesn't then why not look at running it from within a VM running from your PC, if you don't already have a virtualisation solution then VirtualBox is free and could be loaded with CentOS and MySQL 5.6 or any other version you like.

I purchased the ReadyNAS RN10200, and while the NAS was good, the support is not. I ended up buying the Synology DS214play, and have been happy. Running two 4TB drives in RAID1. My basic use is for streaming videos of all kinds with Plex, and storing backups.

Qnap is very good product as well. I haven't used Synology but many people saying that is good but I personally use Qnap and it is good as well.

You're right, it is a very good product, and I was originally going to get one. A friend of mine bought a Synology and let me have remote access to it, and the DSM interface proved itself to be SO much better than the QNAP interface. That is what eventually made me decide Synology over QNAP.

You're right, it is a very good product, and I was originally going to get one. A friend of mine bought a Synology and let me have remote access to it, and the DSM interface proved itself to be SO much better than the QNAP interface. That is what eventually made me decide Synology over QNAP.

When was this? Qnap have changed their interface since my NAS which admittedly is very old now) - is that the one you were comparing to DSM?

Just interested in how it compares...

i think the big question is: what about the performance? Sure, running DB on a RAID 1 2 disks NAS is possible, but mind the:

- disk bottleneck (are you going to use consumer grade disks? server grade? SSD's?);

- NIC bottleneck (are you using gigabit? or dual gigabit in a Link Aggregation (LACP) that requires the switch to support that protocol?);

- RAM for write operations (the more RAM the better);

so you can use a 2 disk Lacie (that is a complete crap for running DB files) or you can use a pre-made NAS (with the inherit limitations) or you can build you own NAS using a old computer (jamming more RAM, performance disks, server grade RAID controller with BBWC and NICs) or you can buy a good server just for running your DB with maximum performance, it really depends on how much performance you want; it's directly proportional with the price.

also please use iSCSI, forget SMB because the performance increase is huge.

When was this? Qnap have changed their interface since my NAS which admittedly is very old now) - is that the one you were comparing to DSM?

Just interested in how it compares...

Hi Fahim. It was about 2 years ago. I had been using the QNAP online demo to try out their interface when I made the decision.

Hi Fahim. It was about 2 years ago. I had been using the QNAP online demo to try out their interface when I made the decision.

Thanks.  QNAP's UI has changed significantly, and is a lot more DSM-like now.

• 1 month later...

i use THECUS NAS it's brilliant amazing NAS, i do tried Synology and Qnap they are good but thecus give me the same with lower price and more functions , do you know that i can update my hard drive at N2310 to 5TB x2 other brands they don't.

• 3 months later...