My Dream Build, thoughts?

So this is probably going to be the build I'll build during in June. I want to see if it's perfect. My budget is $2000. I play games, edit videos and images, program, and 3D model. I will be overclocking.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3hSfU

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($269.99 @ Micro Center)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($30.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($189.99 @ NCIX US)
Memory: Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory  ($370.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk  ($199.00 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate  2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Hybrid Internal Hard Drive  ($119.67 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card  ($509.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($99.99 @ Micro Center)
Power Supply: EVGA 600B 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($49.99 @ NCIX US)
Sound Card: Asus Xonar DSX 24-bit 192 KHz Sound Card  ($51.98 @ Newegg)
Wired Network Adapter: Intel EXPI9301CTBLK 10/100/1000 Mbps PCI-Express x1 Network Adapter  ($29.71 @ Amazon)
Total: $1922.27
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-03-28 07:54 EDT-0400)

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($30.98 @ OutletPC)

Why go with air? More so if you are OCing...

Storage: Seagate  2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Hybrid Internal Hard Drive  ($119.67 @ Amazon)

If this is simply for storage, why go with a hybrid?

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($99.99 @ Micro Center)

Personally, not only are there better cases out there but I had/have a window and it just gets corny after time.

Wired Network Adapter: Intel EXPI9301CTBLK 10/100/1000 Mbps PCI-Express x1 Network Adapter  ($29.71 @ Amazon)

Is there a reason you are getting a NIC? Asus has other boards in the similar price range and with similar/better specs with two LAN ports if you need another one.

Thats all I have to say :)

That is more or less exactly the computer I built for myself the other day just toying around with the idea of a new computer. At least the main parts. I am just up in the air about the GPU itself.

Why do you have a Wired Network Adapter?

Also you might be able to skip the sound card.

Why go with air? More so if you are OCing...

If this is simply for storage, why go with a hybrid?

Personally, not only are there better cases out there but I had/have a window and it just gets corny after time.

Is there a reason you are getting a adapter? Asus has other boards in the similar price range and with similar/better specs with two LAN ports if you need another one.

Thats all I have to say :)

Thanks for your reply.

Would you recommend the h100i for liquid cooling?

I thought it would be better to have a faster drive for storage, since I'll be using a lot of space and I want it to be fast, but if the performance difference isn't that much, I can take a hard drive. My other concern is with defragmenting, I don't want to have to defrag my drives.

Would the Corsair 750D be better?

I am deciding to skip the sound and network card.

Here is my new build:

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3hSmU

CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($69.99 @ NCIX US)

Memory: Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory  ($370.98 @ Newegg)

Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk  ($199.00 @ Amazon)

Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card  ($509.99 @ Amazon)

Case: Corsair 750D ATX Full Tower Case  ($139.99 @ Micro Center)

Power Supply: EVGA 600B 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($49.99 @ NCIX US)

Total: $1919.59

(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-03-28 08:03 EDT-0400)

Thanks again :)

4x4GB 2133Mhz RAM is a pretty bad idea IMO. You can find 2x8GB DDR3 1866mhz modules which will deliver 99.99% of the performance for half the price and half the probability of failure. Z87 only supports dual-channel RAM so there's no point multiplying the number of physical modules.

The power supply is a bit on the low-end side, if you're going liquid cooling and a heavy overclock (that's what liquid cooling is for, otherwise you don't need it), you should ideally get 750W or more. 600W is the minimum required power supply for your video card btw.

Personally I'm not a fan of buying a cooler that has 3 different motors vs one that has only one when benchmarks show that the latter is about as effective, a lot quieter, and obviously a lot more reliable. Only 2/3rds of newegg user reviews for the H100i report complete satisfaction with the thing.

If you're that much into overclocking, Intel will be releasing a new Haswell K-series with improved overclocking abilities by mid-year, so you might wanna wait for it.

i also agree w/ Andre - go for the 2x8GB instead. I have the Dominator Platinums, and they are a dream.

Definitely get a water cooler. amazing! i have the H80i.

Go w/ a higher wattage PSU as well.

if youre not building till june, then nvidia might have the 800-series Maxwell cards out by then

Thanks for your reply.

Would you recommend the h100i for liquid cooling?

A few months ago I used a H110 and I would have to say flawless. Im OCing it right now and I think the max Ive seen is 27C. Right now, it is idle....at 10 C.

10 C is pretty amazing :)

I thought it would be better to have a faster drive for storage, since I'll be using a lot of space and I want it to be fast, but if the performance difference isn't that much, I can take a hard drive. My other concern is with defragmenting, I don't want to have to defrag my drives.

You might see a SLIGHT performance increase but at the end of the day, the mechanical is still your limiting factor.

Defragmenting? Havent had to do that in years! Windows 7 automatically defrags your mechanical drives in the background.

Would the Corsair 750D be better?

Ive heard good things about Corsair cases but at the end of the day, it is your case :)

I am deciding to skip the sound and network card.

For a gaming PC, I would skip the network card too but sound? I dont know. I perfer something dedicated if I have good speakers for it :)

Also my post is not the best answer.

The power supply is a bit on the low-end side

I agree.

if you're going liquid cooling and a very heavy overclock (that's what liquid cooling is for, otherwise you don't need it), you should ideally get 750W or more. 600W is the minimum required power supply for your video card btw.

I disagree. Liquid cooling for noise is also great. Plus it keeps your temps down, doesnt matter if you OC or not. 

If you're that much into overclocking, Intel will be releasing a new Haswell K-series with improved overclocking abilities by mid-year, so you might wanna wait for it.

Also a possibility. Current gen Intel chips are currently a bit unstable when OCd, right?

A few months ago I used a H110 and I would have to say flawless. Im OCing it right now and I think the max Ive seen is 27C. Right now, it is idle....at 10 C.

This is physically impossible unless the ambient air around your PC is actually 10C or lower, which is rather unhealthy :p. If you're reading this from a sensor then that sensor is way off.

Liquid cooling for noise is also great.

The Corsair H100 was the loudest cooler of all tested in the NH-U14S review and attained by far the highest fan speed.

• Like 3

You might see a SLIGHT performance increase but at the end of the day, the mechanical is still your limiting factor.

Defragmenting? Havent had to do that in years! Windows 7 automatically defrags your mechanical drives in the background.

I haven't noticed defrag running automatically in W7 without being set up first and if you need to defrag get something better like Defraggler for example. The defrag in W7 is based on really old software. Regardless, OP doesn't really need to defragment a storage drive, space consolidation is sufficient.

I don't get it why in almost all the builds that pop up on Neowin, people pick expensive high speed memory. Is it so hard to understand that they make any noticeable difference? Also, like the others have mentioned, 4x4 GB. Why?!?

Ive heard good things about Corsair cases but at the end of the day, it is your case :)

For a gaming PC, I would skip the network card too but sound? I dont know. I perfer something dedicated if I have good speakers for it :)

Also my post is not the best answer.

I agree.

I disagree. Liquid cooling for noise is also great. Plus it keeps your temps down, doesnt matter if you OC or not.

Also a possibility. Current gen Intel chips are currently a bit unstable when OCd, right?

ok, I've made my build according to your recommendations. I might wait and replace it with the haswell-k processors and ddr4 if that ever comes out after the new CPUs, which should support ddr4

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3hXhS

Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3hXhS/by_merchant/

Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3hXhS/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($269.99 @ Micro Center)

CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($69.99 @ NCIX US)

Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($189.99 @ NCIX US)

Memory: Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($214.99 @ Amazon)

Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($199.99 @ Amazon)

Storage: Seagate 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Hybrid Internal Hard Drive ($119.67 @ Amazon)

Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card ($509.99 @ Newegg)

Case: Corsair 750D ATX Full Tower Case ($139.99 @ Micro Center)

Power Supply: Corsair 760W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($184.99 @ Amazon)

Total: $1899.59

(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-03-28 12:08 EDT-0400)

I haven't noticed defrag running automatically in W7 without being set up first and if you need to defrag get something better like Defraggler for example. The defrag in W7 is based on really old software. Regardless, OP doesn't really need to defragment a storage drive, space consolidation is sufficient.

I don't get it why in almost all the builds that pop up on Neowin, people pick expensive high speed memory. Is it so hard to understand that they make any noticeable difference? Also, like the others have mentioned, 4x4 GB. Why?!?

I got the 2133 memory because I wanted a dominator platinum and that was the only clock rate I found for 4x4GB. My mistake was with the 4x4GB, as I wasn't thinking about stability. Sorry :p

Im glad to see you changed the PSU - NEVER GO CHEAP ON THE PSU.

As far as the "loudness" of the watercoolers, when you get the i version there is a ton of settings, and slide scales to deal with noise/effectiveness.

If I crank the fans up - yeah it sounds like its gonna start levitating & I have a Cosmos II !  But I never crank the fans...

One thing to consider, all of these pros and cons, are coming from detail-oriented geeks (like myself).  Some will never show a real world advantage, many just look good on paper - so keep that in mind too.

This is physically impossible unless the ambient air around your PC is actually 10C or lower, which is rather unhealthy :p. If you're reading this from a sensor then that sensor is way off.

I was going to point that out.  If the cooler can bring the CPU temperature down to 10C, then you might as well start using it as an air conditioner.

I also had no idea RAM prices were so high these days - I haven't looked in a long time.  I scored 32GB (4x8 DDR3) for $240 (w/ taxes) over a year ago.  I was thinking about moving up to 64GB, but I guess that's now on hold...

I got the 2133 memory because I wanted a dominator platinum and that was the only clock rate I found for 4x4GB. My mistake was with the 4x4GB, as I wasn't thinking about stability. Sorry :p

Why was the reason you wanted the Dominator Platinum? Please don't say looks.

As for DDR4, don't bother waiting because you'll probably need to add another 1000$ if you want to build with that. Only Intel Extreme CPUs support them for a long time and those CPUs aren't known for bang for buck. DDR4 may also have the same problem that 2133 RAM has against regular 1600 RAM, not bloody worth it.

It runs automatically.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/schedule-regular-disk-defragmenter#1TC=windows-7

This is basically FUD that has been spread for years. Nowadays, almost all defraggers are the same.

Because its a gaming PC that's RAM speed should be equal to the FSB...

I stand corrected on windows defrag running automatically. I guess it's so crappy it might as well not exist.

What exactly is FUD? That windows defrag is based on old software? The fact that newer software like Defraggler is faster than the windows one. Or what exactly?

I guess all the people that have i5/7s with non-2133 RAM are not gamers.

The room temp where the PC is in is pretty damn cold. I wouldn't count on the sensor 100% but...

The Corsair H100 was the loudest cooler of all tested in the NH-U14S review and attained by far the highest fan speed.

I can only talk for the H110i series. I don't hear a thing.

I haven't noticed defrag running automatically in W7 without being set up first

It runs automatically.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/schedule-regular-disk-defragmenter#1TC=windows-7

and if you need to defrag get something better like Defraggler for example. The defrag in W7 is based on really old software. Regardless, OP doesn't really need to defragment a storage drive, space consolidation is sufficient.

This is basically FUD that has been spread for years. Nowadays, almost all defraggers are the same.

Because its a gaming PC to squeeze all of the performance possible.

Before it was because it had to equal the FSB. I don't think that applies anymore in the modern era...

I was going to point that out.  If the cooler can bring the CPU temperature down to 10C, then you might as well start using it as an air conditioner.

I imagine that the AC outside of the room it is in also cools the walls. But I remember at first when testing it with a regular fan, it was higher :)

Why was the reason you wanted the Dominator Platinum? Please don't say looks.

As for DDR4, don't bother waiting because you'll probably need to add another 1000$ if you want to build with that. Only Intel Extreme CPUs support them for a long time and those CPUs aren't known for bang for buck. DDR4 may also have the same problem that 2133 RAM has against regular 1600 RAM, not bloody worth it.

I stand corrected on windows defrag running automatically. I guess it's so crappy it might as well not exist.

What exactly is FUD? That windows defrag is based on old software? The fact that newer software like Defraggler is faster than the windows one. Or what exactly?

I wanted the dominator platinum because that series has been faster on the benchmarks I looked at

I wanted the dominator platinum because that series has been faster on the benchmarks I looked at

Take into account that the extra money you spend on that memory could be used on a 780 Ti for example which will give you a lot more performance.

It is not crappy

What exactly is FUD?

Stating it is crappy for starts.

If you search, you will see that every release of Windows has seen a different version of defrag.exe so saying it is "old software" is basically again FUD.

Defragging now adays really brings no added benefit except wear-and-tear. My Windows 7 installation runs basically like it ran from day 1. Why? Because NTFS has been further improved to reduce fragmentation and the above mentioned automatic defragging in Windows 7.

If you defrag at all in 2014, its basically because you are either paranoid, doing something terribly wrong, or your HDD is damaged and you think it is fragmentation.

Do you defrag your SSDs? Do you install Windows 7 on a schedule because you think it has taken a performance hit?

I never said that people with lower RAM were not gamers. Do not take my post and twist it. I simply said that since this machine was geared towards gaming, it should have the highest possible performing parts that the budget allows. Of course, if he is missing in, for example, PSU, he should spend it on that instead of faster RAM (for example)

Take into account that the extra money you spend on that memory could be used on a 780 Ti for example which will give you a lot more performance.

Hmm, you're right. After upgrading memory to probably 16GB 1600 or 1866 with a pretty good brand, you can't get any faster than just a few milliseconds. I'll upgrade the graphics card.

Thank you everybody for your suggestions! I wish I could select more than one best answer!

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3i9Rw
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3i9Rw/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3i9Rw/benchmarks/

CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($69.99 @ NCIX US)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory  ($154.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk  ($207.95 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3GB Video Card  ($699.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 750D ATX Full Tower Case  ($139.99 @ Micro Center)
Power Supply: Corsair 760W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($184.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $2003.55
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-03-28 19:14 EDT-0400)

If money was no object, Id ditch the intel all together, got with a dual opteron 12 core setup, running some geforce 790GTXs in tri SLI mode, with 128GB of RAM and 3 1TB SSDs, that would be a bomb system

If money was no object, Id ditch the intel all together, got with a dual opteron 12 core setup, running some geforce 790GTXs in tri SLI mode, with 128GB of RAM and 3 1TB SSDs, that would be a bomb system

What is this Opteron you speak of? Some inferior tech?

Games favor single-threaded performance and don't scale to many cores at all, so that would probably perform worse than the currently proposed setup.

Also note that the GTX 790 does not currently exist...