hull madison county deposit error atm card inheritance same name prosecute

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 62,042 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 13:44

A banking error created a fat bank account for a Hull teenager, whom Madison County sheriff’s deputies said went on a spending spree and pocketed $20,000 in cash.

The error occurred March 7, when a Madison County man went into First Citizens Bank on U.S. Highway 29, Hull, and made a $31,000 deposit, but because there are several people by the same name with accounts at the bank, the teller put the money into the wrong account, according to the sheriff’s report.

On March 17, the victim called the bank about the money missing from his account. Tellers looked into the matter and discovered th, deputies said. However, by that time, the 18-year-old Hull man who wrongly received the money had withdrawn $20,000 cash and spent $5,000 using his ATM card, deputies said.

The suspect came back into the Hull branch on March 18 wanting to withdraw more money, but a teller informed him of the mistake and asked him to return the money, deputies said. The teen then insisted the money was from an inheritance.

A deputy went to the teen’s house, where the teen again said he thought the money came from his grandmother’s estate.

The deputy told the teen the bank wants the money back as soon as possible, so the teen told the officer he would go to the bank and try to settle the matter without going to jail, according to the report.

However, the teen never showed back at the bank and banking officials told investigators last week that if the suspect didn’t return the money, they would prosecute.

No charges have been filed yet, Investigator Doug Martin said Tuesday.

source

#2 FloatingFatMan

FloatingFatMan

Resident Fat Dude

• 15,382 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 21:40

Meanwhile, I hope the bank are reimbursing the original depositor, seeing as it's their mistake.

#3 macrosslover

macrosslover

Muad’Dib

• 3,061 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 21:58

To be honest the teller needs to be fired.  I don't care how many people you have with the same name at that bank, they don't all have the same account number.  He/she should have verified the account number they were putting the money into, especially with such a large deposit.

#4 arachnoid

arachnoid

Times a Ticking

• 3,197 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 21:59

So dont US depositors use bank account numbers then?

#5 +primortal

primortal

Why Does It Hurt!

• 3,445 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia Icon (929)

Posted 28 March 2014 - 22:01

Really how do go about depositing money into an account without an account number in this day and age.  If the teller was looking up this person and a whole slew of accounts came back with the same name you ask for the account number.

#6 OP Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 62,042 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 22:17

This just happened to me -- teller was depositing my money, by name.

I am going to insist filling out my own deposit slip in the future.

#7 Xerino

Xerino

The Mouth

• 2,575 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 01:19

All united states banks are insured for this kind of screw up, in the end both parties will get their money back, and the kid's parents will most likely get sued.

#8 Hurmoth

Hurmoth

Neowinian Senior

• 20,914 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 01:50

So dont US depositors use bank account numbers then?

Yes and I really don't understand how this happens.

My bank requests the acct # upfront and then verifies the name after they type the # in. Seems to me either the teller didn't follow procedure or the bank has crap prodecure.

#9 Enron

Enron

Windows for Workgroups

• 8,851 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 900

Posted 29 March 2014 - 01:58

I bet that kid was thinking...

bank_error_in_your_favor.jpg

#10 +Obi-Wan Kenobi

Obi-Wan Kenobi

"You were the chosen one!"

• 2,733 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 02:00

The money was most likely insured by the FDIC, so I'm sure the bank made it right with the man. Still, though, the teen should have called the bank rather than going on a shopping spree, and should have made every effort he could to return it. Wrong is wrong, so I hope they throw the book at 'em.

#11 Thrackerzod

Thrackerzod

Neowinian Senior

• 2,905 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 02:06

XeW7OdU.jpg

#12 einsteinbqat

einsteinbqat

Neowinian

• 1,329 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 02:13

How can the money be deposited in the wrong account? Don’t US banks require their customers to insert their bank card and PIN number? That’s what my bank does. Then again it’s a Canadian bank.

Every time I go the USA, and now this story, I’m reminded that they are still rather a bit behind compared to many other Western countries, e.g. USA still don’t have PIN numbers on their credit cards, and use the magnetic band. I suppose that mistakes like this had happened before, and will happen again.

#13 Enron

Enron

Windows for Workgroups

• 8,851 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 900

Posted 29 March 2014 - 02:13

The grandma inheritance story was weak. Police saw right through that. He should have told them that the money was from a Nigerian prince.

#14 Thrackerzod

Thrackerzod

Neowinian Senior

• 2,905 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 02:22

How can the money be deposited in the wrong account? Don’t US banks require their customers to insert their bank card and PIN number? That’s what my bank does. Then again it’s a Canadian bank.

We do use account numbers; this mistake was because of a stupid bank teller who obviously needs to find a new line of work.

#15 einsteinbqat

einsteinbqat

Neowinian

• 1,329 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 02:28

We do use account numbers; this mistake was because of a stupid bank teller who obviously needs to find a new line of work.

How does it actually work? You do have to produce your bank card and PIN before anything gets done, or just say “I want to deposit/withdraw money” to the teller?

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!