54 posts in this topic

Posted

A banking error created a fat bank account for a Hull teenager, whom Madison County sheriff

Posted

Meanwhile, I hope the bank are reimbursing the original depositor, seeing as it's their mistake.

6 people like this

Posted

To be honest the teller needs to be fired.  I don't care how many people you have with the same name at that bank, they don't all have the same account number.  He/she should have verified the account number they were putting the money into, especially with such a large deposit.

8 people like this

Posted

So dont US depositors use bank account numbers then?

2 people like this

Posted

Really how do go about depositing money into an account without an account number in this day and age.  If the teller was looking up this person and a whole slew of accounts came back with the same name you ask for the account number.

Posted

This just happened to me -- teller was depositing my money, by name.

I am going to insist filling out my own deposit slip in the future.

Posted

All united states banks are insured for this kind of screw up, in the end both parties will get their money back, and the kid's parents will most likely get sued.

Posted

So dont US depositors use bank account numbers then?

Yes and I really don't understand how this happens.

My bank requests the acct # upfront and then verifies the name after they type the # in. Seems to me either the teller didn't follow procedure or the bank has crap prodecure.

Posted

I bet that kid was thinking...

bank_error_in_your_favor.jpg

16 people like this

Posted

The money was most likely insured by the FDIC, so I'm sure the bank made it right with the man. Still, though, the teen should have called the bank rather than going on a shopping spree, and should have made every effort he could to return it. Wrong is wrong, so I hope they throw the book at 'em.

Posted

XeW7OdU.jpg

15 people like this

Posted

How can the money be deposited in the wrong account? Don

Posted

The grandma inheritance story was weak. Police saw right through that. He should have told them that the money was from a Nigerian prince.

8 people like this

Posted

Posted

We do use account numbers; this mistake was because of a stupid bank teller who obviously needs to find a new line of work.

How does it actually work? You do have to produce your bank card and PIN before anything gets done, or just say

1 person likes this

Posted

How does it actually work? You do have to produce your bank card and PIN before anything gets done, or just say

Posted

When a person makes a deposit they will fill out a deposit slip which includes their name and their account number.

DepositSlip.gif

Oh I see. Canadian banks stopped using this method for years now.

When you go in a bank here, you get to the counter, insert your bank card with the electronic chip in the machine (before the chip, the teller would swipe the card to read the magnetic band), and type in your PIN. There is no way that money can be deposited in the wrong account using this way.

Posted

When a person makes a deposit they (or a bank teller) will fill out a deposit slip which includes their account number.

DepositSlip.gif

wow 1990 called and wants his deposit slip back.

God last time i saw this i was still a virgin ...

Posted

Yeah you can just use your card also or make an electronic deposit. Check books and deposit slips are a bit antiquated but a lot of people still use them.

Posted

Yeah you can just use your card also or make an electronic deposit. Check books and deposit slips are a bit antiquated but a lot of people still use them.

I don

Posted

well from reading the article it seems that US banks are more like these:

Wild_West_Bank_E_20080923172235.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

I don

3 people like this

Posted

Posted

Stupid teller and stupid managers for not watching their employees.  I worked for a credit union for 9yrs.  They double check the tellers work at the end of the day and make sure eveything is correct and balanced out at the end of the night before anyone can leave.  And they always ask you for your name, account number, and your most recent transaction with them.

Proably an isolated incident but someone needs to review company policy and guidelines.

Posted

3 of my friends have had their debit cards cloned while on holiday in the USA. Not a single one has ever had it cloned in the UK. One person charged $200 to his account from McDonalds, I can't even comprehend how much McDonalds $200 would even buy, I struggle to finish