• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Ironman273

Ironman273

Neowinian Fanatic

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 28 March 2014 - 14:17

I saw that Battlefield 4 was on sale at the Microsoft Store so I figured for half price I'd pick it up.  When I went to the site I saw that, sure enough, it was listed for $30.  I prefer digital-only games so I clicked on "Download from Xbox.com" only to see the price go up to $60 again.

I don't know if it's Microsoft or EA but it's ridiculous that a physical copy is half the price of a digital download.

http://www.microsoft...6nqmnl6lvnygqqv

#2 McKay

McKay

Neowinian Stallion

• Phone: LG G3

Posted 28 March 2014 - 14:21

It is ridiculous, and wasn't the whole purpose of the initial proposed online checks and DRM etc so they could lower the prices to have them on the level with Steam? We kissed goodbye to that.

#3 OP Ironman273

Ironman273

Neowinian Fanatic

Posted 28 March 2014 - 14:28

It is ridiculous, and wasn't the whole purpose of the initial proposed online checks and DRM etc so they could lower the prices to have them on the level with Steam? We kissed goodbye to that.

The system is in place.  I can download it for $60.  Why is it more expensive?  Logic would dictate that it should be extremely cheaper to offer a game for download than make a box, make a disc, burn a disc, print a label, assemble the product, wrap it, box it, put it on a truck and ship it.

#4 LaP

LaP

Forget about it

• Tech Issues Solved: 4

Posted 28 March 2014 - 14:30

The system is in place.  I can download it for $60.  Why is it more expensive?  Logic would dictate that it should be extremely cheaper to offer a game for download than make a box, make a disc, burn a disc, print a label, assemble the product, wrap it, box it, put it on a truck and ship it.

Yeah but you can only buy digital from Microsoft and you can't resell it. No competition = no price drop. In the case of the boxed copy they have competition.

It's different from Steam. Steam does have competition from Origin, Uplay, GOG and such.

#5 Andrew

Andrew

Once More 'Round the Sun

• Tech Issues Solved: 9

Posted 28 March 2014 - 14:36

No, that's just the bait they use (and everyone else who starts a DD shop), to sell the plans to consumers. Did PC games drop in price when Origin launched? Nope. If anything they actually went up because you've no other option for particular versions.

#6 McKay

McKay

Neowinian Stallion

• Phone: LG G3

Posted 28 March 2014 - 14:39

Personally I think Digital Downloads should be cheaper anyway, for starters it doesn't need to be printed, a case made and transported etc. The biggest thing about Downloads is we can't trade them in, there's no chance of a second owner getting the copy when we're done, no chance of the company who made it losing money because someone bought it second hand etc. 

I thought that was the justification for high costing physical copies? The supposed loss companies made over pre-owned games?

#7 Andrew

Andrew

Once More 'Round the Sun

• Tech Issues Solved: 9

Posted 28 March 2014 - 14:42

Personally I think Digital Downloads should be cheaper anyway, for starters it doesn't need to be printed, a case made and transported etc. The biggest thing about Downloads is we can't trade them in, there's no chance of a second owner getting the copy when we're done, no chance of the company who made it losing money because someone bought it second hand etc. 

I thought that was the justification for high costing physical copies? The supposed loss companies made over pre-owned games?

Like I say, that's how they sell it to you, but then they make up some other ###### and bull and the prices never drop.

I believe the favourite excuse is "teh bandwidthz" :p

#8 OP Ironman273

Ironman273

Neowinian Fanatic

Posted 28 March 2014 - 14:43

Yeah but you can only buy digital from Microsoft and you can't resell it. No competition = no price drop. In the case of the boxed copy they have competition.

It's different from Steam. Steam does have competition from Origin, Uplay, GOG and such.

There's inherent competition from the disc based game.  Also, Steam's competition didn't arrive at the scene until way after they were discounting.

Something else I just remembered.  The digital copy of Ryse was discounted to $40.  So is this a Microsoft thing or EA dictating how it can be sold?

#9 +MikeChipshop

MikeChipshop

Miniman

• Phone: HTC 8X / Nexus 5

Posted 28 March 2014 - 15:00

totally agree. I've wanted to go download only for ages but apart from the no disc swapping, there's little insentive to do so. Long download times (for me at least) and no competition on price.

I wanted to get Titanfall as DD but i managed to get it a full £20 cheaper on disc from Amazon on next day delivery so not only was it cheaper, it got here quicker!

#10 GotBored

GotBored

Brain Trust

• Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 28 March 2014 - 15:03

Something else I just remembered.  The digital copy of Ryse was discounted to $40.  So is this a Microsoft thing or EA dictating how it can be sold?

Ryse is not published by EA

Also Microsoft own a monopoly with the Xbox Store, its very different to Steam which runs on an open-platform (PC) where anyone or company can start a competing store. Microsoft have to license a competing store to be able to run on Xbox.. but they wouldn't do that so your stuck with Microsoft controlling the prices and having no competition to warrant any competitive pricing.

#11 OP Ironman273

Ironman273

Neowinian Fanatic

Posted 28 March 2014 - 15:12

That was my point.

#12 neoadorable

neoadorable

Neowinian Senior

Posted 31 March 2014 - 02:45

Also Microsoft own a monopoly with the Xbox Store, its very different to Steam which runs on an open-platform (PC) where anyone or company can start a competing store. Microsoft have to license a competing store to be able to run on Xbox.. but they wouldn't do that so your stuck with Microsoft controlling the prices and having no competition to warrant any competitive pricing.

Microsoft and Xbox are hardly a monopoly. In context, Xbox is Steam, PSN is GOG, Nintendo might be....i don't even know. You see my point. MS has a monopoly on Xbox but that's like saying you have a monopoly on your house, it's hardly a bad thing. Customers can always choose to buy from Sony, or Steam etc. If it's an exclusive game that's a different story.

Anyway, the truly ridiculous situation where physical is CHEAPER than digital during a sale no less is most likely either a mistake or some silly attempt to push you to buy digital. You either play along or refuse to pay. I am still holding off on Forza 5 even though i really want it. It's still $60 digital though i'm sure sales are no longer super hot, and that it could do with going to $40.

#13 spenser.d

spenser.d

Neowinian Senior

Posted 31 March 2014 - 03:38

They do get it right sometimes though.  I picked up Tomb Raider digitally this weekend for $30 as they had it on sale. Don't think they physical copy was on sale at all. But yeah, its something they'll have to figure out if they're really serious about it.

#14 GotBored

GotBored

Brain Trust

• Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 31 March 2014 - 10:00

Microsoft and Xbox are hardly a monopoly. In context, Xbox is Steam, PSN is GOG, Nintendo might be....i don't even know. You see my point. MS has a monopoly on Xbox but that's like saying you have a monopoly on your house, it's hardly a bad thing. Customers can always choose to buy from Sony, or Steam etc. If it's an exclusive game that's a different story.

Anyway, the truly ridiculous situation where physical is CHEAPER than digital during a sale no less is most likely either a mistake or some silly attempt to push you to buy digital. You either play along or refuse to pay. I am still holding off on Forza 5 even though i really want it. It's still $60 digital though i'm sure sales are no longer super hot, and that it could do with going to $40.

Both Microsoft (Xbox) and Sony (PlayStation) have a monopoly over their own stores, neither is like steam which is in an open market-place (PC). Not sure how you came to the owning your own house monopoly conclusion, a better example would be if you owned every rental property in the US/UK/Aus/etc and dictated the rental prices. (That's a monopoly)

I'm also not sure how having a more expensive digital copy is an attempt to push you to buy digital. If they wanted to push digital they really should be making it cheaper.. Or atleast cheaper than physical which acquires additional costs due to the casing, disc, booklet and shipping costs yet it somehow manages to cost less than digital. :/

#15 ZeroHour

ZeroHour

Neowinian

Posted 31 March 2014 - 15:08

Originally I read MS planned to allow other stores to sell games (before the whole stupid "itz drmz itz evilz" people showed up) as well as being able to trade in games to online stores again others.

You could also lend a game digitally to a friend (this is part of the reason for 24 hour check-ins)

It all sounded pretty good but so many saw it as DRM evil and missed all the good points.