florida viral video cell phone youtube reckless driving

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#31 Liana

Liana

Tech Girl

• 651 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 05:33

Not really sure if the road she was on was a highway, but she certainly played a big part in provoking this guy.  It's simply common courtesy to stay in the right lane if you're holding somebody up.  I would hardly even consider that "tailgating" either.  There were a few car lengths most of the way until the guy passed her.  Minus the guy flipping her off and crashing, the female is 100% at fault here.

She might be guilty of intentionally provoking the guy by driving slowly, brake-checking him, or speeding up in an effort to keep the guy from passing her, but I can't confirm any of those things happening in the video (they may have happened beforehand, we don't know). The guy was still the one, and ONLY one, responsible for actually crashing his truck though.

#32 Richteralan

Richteralan

Neowinian Senior

• 2,360 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 4 E960

Posted 30 March 2014 - 13:26

That man could have just overtake her and continued driving. But, instead he slowed down just to give a finger, which was his own choice. He got what he deserved. 

#33 wv@gt

wv@gt

Neowinian Senior

• 4,247 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 13:50

I see this all the time in here in GA. They just passed a new law, that you can be ticketed in the left lane if you are holding up traffic, even if you are going the speed limit. Now, I kind of agree since the left lane is a passing lane. However, my issue always is with people like the guy in the pick up above, if I am going the speed limit, or lets say 10 or even 20 over, you have no right to tail me. Its reckless and dangerous. The confusion always comes in though with the left lane. 

#34 hagjohn

hagjohn

Neowinian Senior

• 2,157 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Yellow 1020 w/ 8.1

Posted 30 March 2014 - 14:59

This type of thing is getting worse and worse. A lot of people just won't budge from the left lane, even when they know people want to pass. I'm also seeing more and more people who are going slow and will suddenly speed up so you can't pass them while a passing lane is available, then the people will slow back down and you are stuck behind them. It's highly frustrating and I can understand why some end up losing their cool.

#35 Geoffrey B.

Geoffrey B.

LittleNeutrino

• 16,195 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 928 WP8.10.14203.306

Posted 30 March 2014 - 15:03

IMO it looks like she was egging him on and technically she should have gotten a ticket just for recording the incident using a hand held device.

#36 Joe User

Joe User

Lazy Joe's

• 720 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 30 March 2014 - 15:12

Haha, what?  Every time I'm in Illinois, the left lane is the 90-100+ mph lane.  Granted that is the Chicago area.

On all highways in the Milwaukee and Chicago area, there are "slow traffic keep right" signs every mile or so.

The two things that really p*ss me off are people that don't use their turn signal and people that sit in the left lane and hold up traffic.

Not really sure if the road she was on was a highway, but she certainly played a big part in provoking this guy.  It's simply common courtesy to stay in the right lane if you're holding somebody up.  I would hardly even consider that "tailgating" either.  There were a few car lengths most of the way until the guy passed her.  Minus the guy flipping her off and crashing, the female is 100% at fault here.

She was passing other cars, you can see that in the video.  On this type of highway if you're doing 5 over the speed limit while passing other cars, you are not at fault (but you technically are speeding), no matter how much faster someone wants to go.

#37 +MikeChipshop

MikeChipshop

Miniman

• 7,289 posts
  • Phone: HTC 8X / Nexus 5

Posted 30 March 2014 - 15:24

IMO it looks like they were as bad as each other but in different ways.

#38 vcfan

vcfan

Doing the Humpty Dance

• 5,261 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 16:12

we don't know what happened before the video started rolling. she could have tried to run him off the road for all we know.

#39 Richteralan

Richteralan

Neowinian Senior

• 2,360 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 4 E960

Posted 31 March 2014 - 04:19

we don't know what happened before the video started rolling. she could have tried to run him off the road for all we know.

I like all the assumption here: 

We all don't know what happened before the video. So let's all assume that the female driver did something baad. LOL

#40 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 22,109 posts
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 31 March 2014 - 06:28

^ Currently, Florida has no law prohibiting or restricting drivers from sending text messages or using cell phones while driving. Florida doesn't require hands-free devices; drivers are free to use any kind of cell phone. :ermm:

Distracted driver laws already cover phone use and all that anyway, so the extra laws are kind of redundant and only exist to point out to the stupid regular people that they're idiots. 

#41 Aheer.R.S.

Aheer.R.S.

I cannot Teach Him, the Boy has no Patience!

• 11,894 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 06:35

AFAIK, you must always drive on the right side (or right lane). You cant just be on the left lane because you want to. She was clogging up traffic. She had PLENTY of time to switch to the right.

I get this on the highway almost daily. People staying in their left lane when passing and Im obviously rolling faster than them. High beams usually does it. If not, I follow it up with a honk which USUALLY makes them switch to the right lane (where they are suppose to be).

If not, I have no choice but to right lane pass them because of course I also clog up the traffic behind me....of course, I salute them nicely ;)

The guy IMO did nothing wrong. He was trying to pass and was being held up by this bitch for whatever strange reason she wanted too. He had no choice but to pass her. I would have passed her then gave her the finger instead of doing it while passing as Im personally a type of person that like both hands on the wheel and both eyes on the road.

http://www.mit.edu/~jfc/right.html

A lot of states require you to drive on the right lane. The rest recommend.

Yes, and the left side where applicable also, as a lot of countries have left orientated driving rules, (UK, as one example)

#42 Aheer.R.S.

Aheer.R.S.

I cannot Teach Him, the Boy has no Patience!

• 11,894 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 06:41

Yeah I understand, our dual carriageways aren't fully fledged motorways either, theyre 2 lanes each way, where motorways are 3 or more each way etc, just that the same rules apply, same speed limits, left lane is driving lane, any others are passing etc. Just making assumptions here though based off of road similarities and what some other Americans have said.

Also in the US does what ever is separationg the middle change the rules? I've seen all 3 of those separating motorways in the UK but its still just a motorway with the same old rules.

I cannot say for any part of the USA, but my mum just got back from Canada, and she told me, that my brother in law told her, that you can occupy any lane travelling in your flow direction, so long as you are keeping up with the flow, allowing traffic that want to overtake to pass, and obeying speed limits etc...