A family in Solna, north of Stockholm, had no idea what was in store when their pet cat was too scared to go into the kitchen.

"We thought it could be a little mouse, but after a while we figured it couldn't be because it was making too much noise," Signe Bengtsson told The Local.

Her worst fears were confirmed while emptying the trash a few days later when she saw a rat guzzling leftovers under the sink.

"It was right there in our rubbish bin, a mighty monster. I was petrified. I couldn't believe such a big rat could exist," she said.

"I couldn't help but do the old classic and jump on the kitchen table and scream."

Her husband Erik Kors?s who was away at the time was dubious that such an enormous rat could really be living in his kitchen.

"When my wife called I said 'Yeah, sure, take it easy, I'll be home on Sunday. But by then it had jumped into the waste bin and had a Swedish sm?rg?sbord with all the leftovers," he said.

As the rat made more appearances over the next day, the family took to stomping around as they passed the kitchen to ensure they wouldn't meet the rat from hell again.

"By the time I got home, the rat was so domesticated that it just sat under the kitchen table," Kors?s explained, adding that it had chewed through the water pipes connected to the dishwater and started a small flood.

When the family saw the rat scurrying into a nook behind the dishwasher, they put the kitchen on lockdown and called the pest controllers, who arrived with three heavy-duty traps.

The rat got caught by the neck soon after, but didn't die immediately and scurried away behind the dishwasher again. Bengtsson called her husband home to deal with the creature, which later died. He measured the rat to be 39.5 centimetres from nose to the start of its tail. :|

lillrttan_i_kket_copyright_justus_bengts

more

We have 'em here in West Texas that size, they call them wood rats around here. I've seen a few, and the first time I saw one, I about **** my pants, lol!

As usual, my officially recommended method for eliminating all manner of creepy-crawlies and furry horrors involves the time tested method.

keep_calm_and_nuke_it_from_orbit_by_matt

There is no substitute.?

that is HUGE!

Pass the damn ketchup, this thing looks delish!!!

LOL THATS ######ING DISGUSTING! :woot:

Don't knock it 'til you've tried it. Rat is an excellent survival meat, and commonly used in many countries.

Muskrats are quite tasty too and make warm coats. Up to about .9m long and 2.5+ kg. Below is a medium sized one.

words4it_muskrat_9771_1200.jpg

Don't knock it 'til you've tried it. Rat is an excellent survival meat, and commonly used in many countries.

Muskrats are quite tasty too and make warm coats. Up to about .9m long and 2.5+ kg. Below is a medium sized one.

words4it_muskrat_9771_1200.jpg

Next you'll be recommending human. :laugh: