Bookmarks - Are They Needed?

I never really used bookmarks and still don't. Full text search of my browser history has helped eliminate any usefulness bookmarks may have had.

90% of sites I just rely on the browser history. Start typing and find the url I want to visit, very fast and no mouse required. However I still bookmark things that I want to find again but don't frequent.

I still have some core sites bookmarked but ever since Firefox implemented their awesomebar, I have been almost 100% dependent on browser history instead.. for example, instead of having a bookmark for Neowin hardware hangout forum, I just type neo h into address bar. Much quicker than going through a massive bookmark folder.

I never really used bookmarks and still don't. Full text search of my browser history has helped eliminate any usefulness bookmarks may have had.

What happens if your history accidently get cleared. How do you backup your history?

I use bookmarks in the way you one would use folders for organization and of stuff I don't want to forget. I also use speed dial for the most frequent visited sites.

I've been using this below for years to weed out bad bookmark and backup.

http://aignes.com/deadlink.htm

As for your opening your browser to past pages, most browsers do that now. Chrome allows you to share history and favourites across any device you use with chrome. Eg, I'm reading an article on my mobile, I get home and go to my PC and it's in my history and shared pages waiting for me.

I didn't realize this but IE seems to share history and bookmarks between my Surface and desktop PC as well. If I have tabs open on my Surface, when I get to my PC, IE can bring them up too.

What happens if your history accidently get cleared. How do you backup your history?

I don't generally clear my history. I also make heavy use of Firefox's Sync feature to sync to my OwnCloud server. I then backup my OwnCloud server nightly.