UK to China Internet Speed

Hi,

We have site to site vpn between our UK office and china office using a pair of ASA5510s. We're experiencing slow speeds between the two sites, speed tests on both sites to their respective countries are good but once tests between the UK and China are very slow like - 0.03Mbps transfer speed over FTP. We have 50/50 leased connection in the UK and 10/10 leased in China. Ping times are about 243ms between sites.

Is there anyone with experience of long distance connections that can pass some advice?

Thanks,

edit: I should mention that we have Exchange 2010 servers at both sites and the rate emails are sent received between sites are very slow.

It isn't the first time I experience slow traffic when connected to China servers. I'm guessing they use traffic shaping to traffic outside the borders.

Same issue I experienced with baidu servers (storage) and for example, MIUI roms when downloading themes (hosted on China / Xiaomi servers) are also painfully slow. It might be totally irrelevant on your case but it isn't the first time I experienced this.   

I suspect that there is a level of filtering going on with the Great Firewall of China thats slowing things down. 

Does that firewall extend to Hong Kong as well?