Answered Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 LauRoman

LauRoman

New Constantinopolis

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 / Allview P6 Quad / Nokia N900

Posted 29 March 2014 - 18:38

So i was gifted a note 3. And the icons are awfuly big. I tried nova launcher but i have some personal issues with it (mostly app drawer related) so i'm looking for a different one. The first items are non negociable. And since the phone is in warranty rooting and rom-ing is out of the question. It has to:

1. Allow for at least a 5x5 grid in the app drawer and homescreen, the more configurable it is the better.

2. be able to create folders inside the app drawer. If i can sort them manually, the better

3. If possible, but not important it should allow for configuring the notification bar, like make it transparent.

4. Least important, it should be able to replace the icons with the vanilla kitkat ones.

Best Answer +techbeck , 05 April 2014 - 21:34

Apex, Holo don't support folders in the app drawer, i tried even with the pro versions of them and soon after i asked for refunds, because otherwise they would be perfect. And Go launcher ex is, i'm sorry to say, a bloated pos, on first impression at least. I probably could find a link to purchase a pro version and i probably could find a link to have some normal icons (KK or JB) but it installs to many icons to the playstore downloads of apps i don't need, (clean master, a weird weather widget etc) but honestly it looks like the crapware you find on windows laptops. Otherwise GLEX would be close to perfect.

Sure you can with Apex.  Open up the app drawer and click the 3 dotted icon to access the menu.  Then choose create a folder.  Sometimes you need to restart apex but it does work.  Nova Prime has this option a well as a few others.  Below are screens I created on how to do it in Apex Pro.

Go to the full post

#2 +LogicalApex

LogicalApex

Software Engineer

• Tech Issues Solved: 8
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 29 March 2014 - 18:48

I would recommend you look at Action Launcher. It fits most of your needs and is my preferred Launcher on Android.

#3 beanboy89

beanboy89

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Google Nexus 5

Posted 29 March 2014 - 18:51

Holo Launcher HD. That's my preferred launcher. Pretty customizable and has the option to use stock KitKat icons. Not sure if it can do folders in the drawer; that's never something that I've never needed to do.

#4 tsupersonic

tsupersonic

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: iPhone 5S/Nexus 5

Posted 29 March 2014 - 21:24

What's wrong with Nova launcher? It does all those things...

#5 OP LauRoman

LauRoman

New Constantinopolis

Posted 29 March 2014 - 21:48

Try and add folders or group apps inside the drawer while using nova. The setting is deep inside menus. It's clunky and it has no real sorting options.

#6 +techbeck

techbeck

It's not that I am lazy, it's that I just don't care

• Tech Issues Solved: 13

Posted 31 March 2014 - 12:45

Try Apex?  What I used and find more useful.  I use it on all my devices for years.

#7 Nick H.

Nick H.

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 17

Posted 31 March 2014 - 12:50

I use Go Launcher EX as my launcher, and I know that it does points 1 and 2 well. I don't think that it allows you to change the notification bar, but for the icons I assume you're talking about on the homescreen dock? Go Launcher EX allows you to change the icons there.

#8 OP LauRoman

LauRoman

New Constantinopolis

Posted 05 April 2014 - 08:06

Apex, Holo don't support folders in the app drawer, i tried even with the pro versions of them and soon after i asked for refunds, because otherwise they would be perfect. And Go launcher ex is, i'm sorry to say, a bloated pos, on first impression at least. I probably could find a link to purchase a pro version and i probably could find a link to have some normal icons (KK or JB) but it installs to many icons to the playstore downloads of apps i don't need, (clean master, a weird weather widget etc) but honestly it looks like the crapware you find on windows laptops. Otherwise GLEX would be close to perfect.

#9 +techbeck

techbeck

It's not that I am lazy, it's that I just don't care

• Tech Issues Solved: 13

Posted 05 April 2014 - 21:34   Best Answer

Sure you can with Apex.  Open up the app drawer and click the 3 dotted icon to access the menu.  Then choose create a folder.  Sometimes you need to restart apex but it does work.  Nova Prime has this option a well as a few others.  Below are screens I created on how to do it in Apex Pro.

Attached Images

• first.png
  • second.png
  • third.png