Router with decent port forwarding

I'm looking for a router that has decent port forwarding options stock... with the ability to allow forwarding by indicating both the external and internal IP address.

My current router uses Tomato for this, however it's acting up and is on its way out:

post-3351-0-55375600-1396119450.png

Is there a router out there that offers the same features without using Tomato or WWDRT? I don't mind using third party firmware, but before I went out and bought one that supported a 3rd party firmware, I wanted to check and see if there were any solid routers that offered what I was looking for using the stock firmware. I looked at both the stock Linksys firmware and Netgear and saw the ability to open a port, but not the ability to filter by source address.

Thanks!

I too have wondered what are some decent routers without using 3rd party.

Just curious, what's going on with your current router?

I too have wondered what are some decent routers without using 3rd party.

Just curious, what's going on with your current router?

Every now and then I lose the lease with my modem, doesn't seem to happen on my backup, ancient wireless-b router.

There is a firmware update I can grab, but the firmware I use is a fork of Tomato managed by an entity/user called Toastman, and I just am a bit paranoid about using a forked build managed by a third party for third party software lol

Try looking at the following

UBNT edgerouter lite

Mikrotik Routerboards (although the software can be somewhat buggy)

pfSense on an old X86 box or an embedded box such as an Alix.

It's a steep learning curve but they are FAR more powerful platforms than most soho routers run on.

Otherwise you could also look at business / enterprise routers rather than the small office home office junk but these aren't going to be cheap.

You can also just apply the ip filtering rules on the target machines firewall instead. Realistically it is probably only a few ports forwarded anyway. 

You can also just apply the ip filtering rules on the target machines firewall instead. Realistically it is probably only a few ports forwarded anyway. 

Good point, so far the lease seems to be doing it's thing. It would have dropped by now. Crossing my fingers!

I still run a 2012 Toastman build on my router. I had problems with a newer build too a year ago when I was trying new builds so went back to the working build from 2012. Moral: Don't fix it if it ain't broke :D

Buffalo uses a custom DD-WRT build, and is easily flashable if not on there already.  The first WZR-600DHP had the regular firmware, but the last one I bought had the DD-WRT based firmware on it.  It's easily flashable to the normal DD-WRT build if you want.

• 2 weeks later...