Heart attacks spike following start of daylight saving time, US study finds

Turning clocks forward an hour for daylight saving time in the United States is followed by a spike in heart attacks on the Monday afterward, according to a study.

But when clocks fall back and people gain an hour of sleep, there is a drop in heart attacks on the Tuesday, said the research, presented at the American College of Cardiology conference.

The findings showed no change in the total number of heart attacks during the entire week following any clock change, indicating the spike seen on Monday is levelled out in the days that follow.

But knowing that a surge in patients can be expected in the emergency room could help doctors better prepare, said lead author Amneet Sandhu, cardiology fellow at the University of Colorado in Denver.

"It may be that we, as people, are very sensitive to the loss of even one hour's sleep," Dr Sandhu told reporters.

"It may mean that people who are already vulnerable to heart disease may be at greater risk right after sudden time changes."

The study was based on a database of hospitals in Michigan.

There was a 25 per cent jump in the number of heart attacks occurring the Monday after the spring time change - or a total of eight additional heart attacks - and a 21 per cent drop the Tuesday after the fall return to standard time.

Monday is traditionally the day when most heart attacks occur, previous research has found.

But by looking at hospital data over four consecutive years, researchers saw a consistent 34 per cent increase in heart attacks from one week to the next at the spring time change.

There were an average of 93 heart attacks the Monday before compared to 125 the week after the start of daylight saving time across those four years.

Daylight saving time in the US - implemented to save energy during World War I - is controversial and some believe it is not needed anymore.

Dr Sandhu said future research should compare the Michigan findings to heart attack trends in Hawaii and Arizona, which do not have daylight saving time.

And the point behind the stupid clock trick is?

Killing people from heart attacks and lack of sleep apparently.

Daylights waste of time, should just be always on or always off.  It serves no real purpose other than lighter out later in the time that it is on, thus more people shop later.  The energy savings is not really a valid argument in this day and age.

Murrica!

If I had to guess, I'd say it was because they spent the previous day gorging on pancakes, bacon and other high calorie foods and then flipping channels from the couch all day long.

Murrica!

If I had to guess, I'd say it was because they spent the previous day gorging on pancakes, bacon and other high calorie foods and then flipping channels from the couch all day long.

FYI - DST is not just a US practice, and its purpose varies, so your "Murica!" comment begs for some some education,

Wiki article: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daylight_saving_time

Blue: DST used

Orange: DST no longer used

Red: DST never used

DaylightSaving-World-Subdivisions.png

FYI - DST is not just a US practice, and its purpose varies, so your "Murica!" comment begs for some some education,

Wiki article: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daylight_saving_time

Blue: DST used

Orange: DST no longer used

Red: DST never used

Oh I know DST is not US specific, we observe it here too, but high obesity rate among children and heart attacks on Monday after losing an hour of sleep just might be. ;)

Daylights waste of time, should just be always on or always off.  It serves no real purpose other than lighter out later in the time that it is on, thus more people shop later.  The energy savings is not really a valid argument in this day and age.

How is saving energy no longer important?

Aren`t we all moving towards greener lives?

Maybe I dreamt all that stuff about the environment and ozone layer, not as if the polar ice caps are melting or that....

Are we really that fragile? One hour sleep (more or less) can be a matter of life and death? I never sleep the same amount of hours.

Move the clock an hour forward when you wake up, if your body is not capable of handling one hour less sleep.

Are we really that fragile? One hour sleep (more or less) can be a matter of life and death?....

Yes, our internal rythms can be that "fragile." Ever travel and get desynchronosis (jet lag)? It's a similar stressor that over time can cause an increased risk of cancer, infertility, and heart disease. So says the NIH. Now add any cardiac risk facorrs you may have and....

The bottom line is that regular sleep patterns can be very important. Ignore at your own risk.

• Like 2

Are we really that fragile? One hour sleep (more or less) can be a matter of life and death? I never sleep the same amount of hours.

Move the clock an hour forward when you wake up, if your body is not capable of handling one hour less sleep.

Exactly. Totally ridiculous blaming that one hour difference for all the heart attacks. Do people normally sleep for exactly the same amount of hours every night? Do they go to bed and wake up at exactly the same time every day? I think not.

Oh I know DST is not US specific, we observe it here too, but high obesity rate among children and heart attacks on Monday after losing an hour of sleep just might be. ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epidemiology_of_obesity

Just so you know, the US does not have the highest obesity rate in the world. That would be Mexico.

It depends on each person. Some people are VERY fragile and some doesnt matter if they sleep 1 or 8 hours.

Also, note that most people are drugged during their day various times (caffine), so that affects their sleep as well, while others are drug free.

I think its more about people stress about being late for work if there clocks dont automatically go forward/forgetting to move clock forward manually than it is just cus the hour goes forward cus why doesnt it happen sunday morning? cus alot of people dont work sundays they work mondays

so you like it being light out at midnight?

The trouble is that the majority of people DON'T get enough sleep per night - "I'm fine with six and half hours of sleep [after a coffee]", but little do they know about the risks their taking. I personally don't drink or need coffee.

I'm in with the abolish daylight saving group.

Exactly. Totally ridiculous blaming that one hour difference for all the heart attacks. Do people normally sleep for exactly the same amount of hours every night? Do they go to bed and wake up at exactly the same time every day? I think not.

Bit insane to imply that an increased rate of attacks is a direct correlation of daylights saving, but im very much of the opinion, that sleep is very important and regular patterns, even with slight fluctuation for the individual is very, very important.

There`s an absolute plethora of sleep related mental health issue`s out there, and that`s before we even get into the physical ones.

Best example I can give is the "fight or flight" mechanism. This can be triggered in such a way by sleep deprivation or pattern deviation that you can have some pretty serious panic attacks. These also lead to a form of shock in which the brain wont shut down despite the body`s utter need for rest. (Starting to think maybe there`s a tiny correlation, but not as big as suggested.)

I know this as I onced stayed up for around 5 days in my younger party days, needless to say the feeling you WILL die if you go to sleep is horrific and I ended up being taken to A&E to be sedated.

Bit insane to imply that an increased rate of attacks is a direct correlation of daylights saving, but im very much of the opinion, that sleep is very important and regular patterns, even with slight fluctuation for the individual is very, very important.

There`s an absolute plethora of sleep related mental health issue`s out there, and that`s before we even get into the physical ones.

Best example I can give is the "fight or flight" mechanism. This can be triggered in such a way by sleep deprivation or pattern deviation that you can have some pretty serious panic attacks. These also lead to a form of shock in which the brain wont shut down despite the body`s utter need for rest. (Starting to think maybe there`s a tiny correlation, but not as big as suggested.)

I know this as I onced stayed up for around 5 days in my younger party days, needless to say the feeling you WILL die if you go to sleep is horrific and I ended up being taken to A&E to be sedated.

Totally agree with you.

I can actually backup what you said about the fight or flight feelings. I suddenly started suffering from severe agoraphobia and panic attacks from the age of 21 and i can vouch for the fact it's very much like the feelings you get when you lack sleep to a dangerous level.

How is saving energy no longer important?

Aren`t we all moving towards greener lives?

Maybe I dreamt all that stuff about the environment and ozone layer, not as if the polar ice caps are melting or that....

How does DST save energy? For a couple weeks, we're back to having to turn the lights on when we first get up, and turn them on a little later in the evening  . . . Yay?

I hate the fact that it's finally light out when I get up for work, and then after DST kicks in, it's suddenly dark again. Very depressing.

I don't know that it ever actually saved any energy, and it certainly doesn't these days.