printer

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 +Odom

Odom

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 30 March 2014 - 21:18

My HP Photosmart 6510 seems to have died today, it no longer prints black. I tried cleaning, aligning, replacing cartridges, resetting, etc,, all to no avail. The printer lasted 3 years.

My wife had a Samsung black laserprinter that lasted almost 10 years, so we were thinking of getting a color laser printer with scanner. I personally have no experience with laser printers, except for the one my wife had.

Would you have any recommendations? I don't plan on printing pictures nor do I care about the speed. What would be important for us is:

- color laser

- duplex printing

- scanner

- Wireless would be nice

Looking at some models, I realise that a laserprinter with scanner is going to be bigger than the one I have now, and pretty all of them have USB and LAN. SOme of  them have Wireless, which would be nice to have.

The website I usually buy my components from has a Brother DCP-9020CDW with good reviews, though they only say "yes, it's nice for home", and one of them giving it 5 stars before even unpacking it :cool:

So, do you have any experience with these printers and have any suggestions?

Many thanks in advance!!

Odom

#2 +Audien

Audien

Software Eng.

• Phone: iPhone 5S

Posted 30 March 2014 - 21:48

What's the price range you're looking at?  

#3 Roger H.

Roger H.

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 20
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 30 March 2014 - 23:36

HP officejet color laserjet c300 I think is the name.

Also take a look at the OfficeJet Pro X series even tho they are "inkjet". It doesn't use a back and forth head to print, So can move up to 77 pages per minute. Got one last week after checking reviews and looks to be pretty sweet. Will get it tomorrow I think.

#4 episode

episode

Neowinian Fanatic

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 30 March 2014 - 23:43

Brother MFC-9325CW

#5 Enron

Enron

Windows for Workgroups

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 900

Posted 30 March 2014 - 23:57

Also take a look at the OfficeJet Pro X series even tho they are "inkjet". It doesn't use a back and forth head to print, So can move up to 77 pages per minute. Got one last week after checking reviews and looks to be pretty sweet. Will get it tomorrow I think.

Whats the cost per page like on that thing?

#6 giantpotato

giantpotato

Neowinian Senior

Posted 30 March 2014 - 23:57

I have a Samsung C460W . It's my first Laser printer so I can't really compare it to others. I've had it for a few months but so far no problems. Printing, scanning work great, it's relatively small, wireless and can even print from android with an app Samsung has.

#7 Torolol

Torolol

Posted 30 March 2014 - 23:59

77ppm are very good as than mean less than 1sec/page

#8 Roger H.

Roger H.

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 20
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 31 March 2014 - 00:22

Whats the cost per page like on that thing?

"1/2 the cost of laser with sacrificing print quality"

On standard black its 3000 pages or XL is 9500 pages per cartridge with a 50,000 pages per month duty cycle

#9 +snaphat (Myles Landwehr)

snaphat (Myles Landwehr)

Electrical & Computer Engineer

• Tech Issues Solved: 29
  • Phone: dumb phone

Posted 31 March 2014 - 00:36

We have a MFC-9840CDW at work. It can do initiated remote scanning (within Windows), scan to usb, etc. How it is designed the rollers and things can get dirty with toner( especially when replacing it) and cause streaks on the paper.

#10 OP +Odom

Odom

Neowinian Senior

Posted 31 March 2014 - 07:34

Hi,

thanks for the feedback. As to the budget, I was thinking around 300€-400€.

I'll have a look at the Laserjet C300 later at home. Tried looking for it on the german HP site and couldn't find it t here. The pictures on Google look like it is a big machines (tall).

I'm not really inclined to get another inkjet. I only bought the one I have now because the printheads were supposed to have moved to the cartridges, so that there wouldn't be the old problem anymore of the printheads drying and the printer not working any more.You'd have to replace the whole carriage. It seems my printer still has the same problem. We print at least once a week a few pages, so I don't understand ho they could have dried up. Must be some other problem.

Brother MFC-9325CW

Brother lists that one as discontinued, I'll try and find out what the replacement model is. But that one looked good.

I have a Samsung C460W . It's my first Laser printer so I can't really compare it to others. I've had it for a few months but so far no problems. Printing, scanning work great, it's relatively small, wireless and can even print from android with an app Samsung has.

This one looks nice, compact as the simple one my wife had. I'll try and find some reviews on it later.

We have a MFC-9840CDW at work. It can do initiated remote scanning (within Windows), scan to usb, etc. How it is designed the rollers and things can get dirty with toner( especially when replacing it) and cause streaks on the paper.

That looks like a huge printer, but the thing with the toner replacement puts me off a bit. This should be a standard procedure and not prone to so much streaking.

#11 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 31 March 2014 - 08:09

Brother MFC-9325CW

Stay away from brother pritners, expensive toners and more importantly their software is horrible and if when it crashes, you can not communicate with the printer anymore before reinstalling windows, if you're lucky a system restore might help in some cases. 

#12 OP +Odom

Odom

Neowinian Senior

Posted 31 March 2014 - 08:53

Stay away from brother pritners, expensive toners and more importantly their software is horrible and if when it crashes, you can not communicate with the printer anymore before reinstalling windows, if you're lucky a system restore might help in some cases. 

Oh brother, that doesn't sound good.

I'll try and find some reviews tonight about the mentioned printers.

#13 blerk

blerk

Banned User

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 31 March 2014 - 09:08

I've had a few brother Printers (multifunctions, laser printers) and I've never had software troubles. I've never had their software crash.  And for the amount of printing I do, the number of pages I get from the toner cartridges seems very reasonable. So I'm a happy Brother customer. 

Of course, now that I've said that everything will change for the worse :p

#14 episode

episode

Neowinian Fanatic

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 31 March 2014 - 11:22

Brother software is much better than the HP software. And you dont need it. Add it through printers and devices. I've had terrible experience with HP software, and in most cases you NEED the software to even install the printer. Cost per page is lower than equivalent printers because Brother sells toners only without the drum.

I've never seen what you described, and I've installed dozens of them in all sorts of machines and setups.

Sounds like you took your personal experience and extrapolated that.

#15 OP +Odom

Odom

Neowinian Senior

Posted 31 March 2014 - 11:46

I never had problems with HP software. You can choose to install the drivers only or the entire suite.

Anyway software wise I only need to be able to scan to image or pdf. I never had any use for the extra editing software that usually comes along as well.