New Malwarebytes looks like Malware

Question

anyone else download version 2?... looks terrible, what where they thinking when they came up with this one.  It's hard enough to tell people what to look out for but when the cure looks like the disease it makes it ever harder....

below is what the first run looks like....

malwarebytes-anti-malware-2-0.jpg

I had the same exact impression when I installed it. I honestly thought I had downloaded the wrong program.

Same here, I had a chuckle when I saw the giant red "FIX NOW", its like they wanted to make it look like one of those rogue av apps xD

I just thought it looked more win8.x friendly. I think it's about time they updated the UI, however, as long as it still works great, you'll hear no fuss outta me (using the pro version)

edit: come to think of it, it really doesn't work as well as it used to... What happened? O.o

What do you mean 'doesn't work as well as it used to'? interface aside it still seems as good as it ever was.

• Like 2

Well, guess I won't be using this program anymore.

Why Not? I hate the look of the New UI but I'm still going to use it.

I use it in combination with

Adwcleaner

Junk Removal Tool (JRT)

Hitman Pro

• Like 2

Not only ugly, which normally I don't care about and wouldn't still on this version, but in the free version, there is no quick scan anymore!

Now. that's REALLY stupid!

Installed this on 1 computer of mine and it didn't take long to go back to the previous version!

Thankfully, so far, they aren't forcing the new version on you.

What I meant was: the last few malware attack I used it on, it didn't get everything. I had to use multiple programs to get rid of all infections, which make this seem like a not-so-anti-malware. Seems redundant, since this thing used to remove nearly all malware that I could throw at it. Seems to be more and more ineffective, which defeats the name "antimalware" seem defeated. Don't get me wrong, I know malware has become more advanced, but still. I sometimes need a one time program that rids most infections on the first or second pass, not having to install 20 (exaggerating) anti malware programs just to get rid of a couple of rootkits or whatever. Redundant at most.

Grr! MAKES THE NAME ANTIMALWARE SEEM DEFEATED! Fat fingered again. My bad

i use combofix; it usually fixes most if not all.

the new MBAM looks more touch friendly, but they screwed up in the UI department.

What should the average person use? Is there something better?

Common sense and good practices are the only real way to keep your system clean.  The "best" av/scanner will always change every year.  Even then they are 80% and AV is last line of defense.  Scanner is really its too late time.

Why Not? I hate the look of the New UI but I'm still going to use it.

I use it in combination with

Adwcleaner

Junk Removal Tool (JRT)

Hitman Pro

Hitman Pro is a cloud based scanner. JRT doesn't give a choice in what to remove, unless i'm missing something.

Anyways, malwarebytes seems fine, even with a win8x kinda look. As long as it does a good job then thats all that matters.

Not only ugly, which normally I don't care about and wouldn't still on this version, but in the free version, there is no quick scan anymore!

You can still do a quickscan it' just been renamed. Now it's called a "Threat Scan"

after running it for a while now on multiple computers, it appears to run exactly the same, so it must just be a cosmetic fix. scans are the same speed and such. still a nice improvement since it has been a rather stagnant UI for many years.

after running it for a while now on multiple computers, it appears to run exactly the same, so it must just be a cosmetic fix. scans are the same speed and such. still a nice improvement since it has been a rather stagnant UI for many years.

I think the Heuristic scan at the end seems to take much longer, which may or may not be a good thing. I also noticed that the progress bar isn't very accurate during the scan.

I also think their $26 dollars per year is a mistake. The ONLY reason why I bought malwarebytes is because it was a lifetime license. The ONLY reason I recommended ANYONE to buy it is because it was $20 for life. Now that it's a yearly subscription i'm not going to recommend anyone buy it. i'll recommend they scan with it but not buy it.

I recommend McAfee Stinger over this: http://www.mcafee.com/us/downloads/free-tools/stinger.aspx

It is incredibly lightweight and still has a decent easy to use interface and when I'm cleaning computers for work or for friends/family, I've never been let down by it.

I use to use Malwarebytes too, but the changes they've made to the UI, functionality and the pricing, I'll be sticking exclusively to Stinger now.