Does swearing offend you?

Does swearing offend you?  

219 members have voted

1. 1. Does swearing offend you?

• Yes, swearing is a sin, you are all going to a bad place
    • Yea, I don't like it.. just think there could be other things said.
    • Neutral, I don't really swear, and small amounts don't bug me
    • No, swearing is cool with me.
    • I don't think of swearing as a special case.. a word is a word.

yes it does. It's like with spelling/grammar error. I'm ok with them while talking but they annoy me while reading, so I always proofread what I write.

Huh? I'm even more confused now. How do you convey spelling errors when talking?

Edit - don't worry off topic :P

Firmly in the "words are words" camp.

I think the ways in which we censor things just proves how moronic the whole thing is. When you read "Bull----" you know exactly what it really says. So what's the point?

ASSUMING A MATURE AUDIENCE (caps because some people seem to not to be able to pick up on what was said, and troll out the "Think of the children" argument)...

A word is a word.  The swearing I use is generally for emphasis or a deliberate exclamation.  Substituting another word is quite frankly pathetic.

It is in no way indicative of a narrow vocabulary, nor a low intellect.

It offends some people?  So what?  Many things offend people but are accepted as society norms.

I enjoy swearing, I am good at it and inventive with it.  In fact the more inventive, the more enjoyable it is.

In the end swearing is an integral part of languages and nothing to be offended about.

Yes, you want a professional tone in tech-related topics. I can understand wanting to keep those parts of the forum clean. But getting all worked up because a random funny image contains a swear word? Come on now...

I shared my opinions about this subject in another thread.  So I'm being lazy right now and will say these two responses express my position very well about swearing.

there is a direct correlation between how much a male swears and overall general intelligence

So the more a person swears they are more intelligent ?

Surely its inversely proportional - the more someone swears the less intelligent they are and vice versa ?

Firmly in the "words are words" camp.

Oversimplifications don't help the discussion. Words convey meaning. Personal attacks are just "words", as are racist slurs - that doesn't mean they should be tolerated.

Surely its inversely proportional - the more someone swears the less intelligent they are and vice versa ?

I swear a lot.. and I would consider myself of higher intelligence than many people I know that don't.

I don't mind it unless someone swears just to swear. If you use it as an adult then it's fine. If you swear with the sole intent to offend someone or hurt their feelings then I'm not really ok with it.

Oversimplifications don't help the discussion. Words convey meaning. Personal attacks are just "words", as are racist slurs - that doesn't mean they should be tolerated.

There is a difference between saying "######! I hate this new rule" and "You are a ######ing idiot for making this rule". 

• Like 2

From what I have observed in my life, when it comes to males there is a direct correlation between how much a male swears and overall general intelligence.

That's just insane and slightly insulting.

I don't find swearing offensive, but I do believe when it's overused it tends to distract.

I've always felt that someone who swears non-stop for no real reason doesn't usually have anything important to say.

There is a difference between saying "####! I hate this new rule" and "You are a ####ing idiot for making this rule". 

But I thought "words are words"?  :rolleyes:

words are words.  That doesn't change anything.  I mean.. it's just as bad to say:  "I will ####  you with a rake" as it is to say "I will poke you with a rake until you begin to bleed, and eventually expire from sustained injuries"  

Using a curse word or not doesn't change a personal insult into something else.  I could say you are totally stupid  or I could say you appear to have a very low IQ and you probably did poorly on many tests.   Neither uses a "Swear" but both knock your intelligence.  

when it comes to males there is a direct correlation between how much a male swears and overall general intelligence.

This is rubbish and i'm sure deep down you know it.

The poll is flawed. I'm not offended by swearing but there are many situations in which it is simply inappropriate or undesirable. It's like masturbating - there's nothing wrong with it but there's a time and a place.

And that time is now! ** faps **

Stop that!   Some people think fapping is wrong and that you could go blind!   ;)

Besides you never know when someone may be watching.....

Y4QAfQD.jpg?2

• Like 1

Context and tone can convey completely different meanings for the exact same word.

Stop that!   Some people think fapping is wrong and that you could go blind!   ;)

Besides you never know when someone may be watching.....

** Covers webcam, kinect and mobile cameras **

• Like 2

It really depends on the situation. If there are kids, I don't swear. But if it's infront of my friends and we are like joking around I'd like to throw a couple of words here and there for effect.

• Like 2

just saying from what I have observed, which by no means scientific or true to fact.

• Like 1

let say, swearing, doesn't make a person cool, at a certain state it indicate that he is angry at something, and from here, u can judge a person, on how much he lose self control over something, and swear about everything.

but for me, i prefer not to swear at all, even more than that, i never ever talk on other people behind their back, or saying stuff that would made them look bad.

cause for me it's the same as swearing.

and for, it's a classy thing.

In certain aspects, I don't mind it. Othertimes, I do. On a messageboard such at this, it's just not needed.

Words in and of themselves can't be offensive, they are just sounds that our voice boxes make. The intention behind the words, which can usually be divined by facial expression, body language, inflection, timbre, tone, etc. is more important than the words themselves. Consider how brutally men speak to one and other: we insult each others mothers, fathers, siblings, appearance, sexuality, physique & intelligence but it doesn't result in violence.

• Like 2

no, i was meaning that from what i have seen (i love human behavior), the majority of people that i have met, through social circles, freinds of freinds, work circles, jail systems, etc, the general theme that I have seen is that less intelligent people swear more often.

I don't choose to swear or use colorful language myself, but I know people that do.

It all depends on the intent.

If someone is swearing where there used as adjectives, etc. where there not swearing at you / at someone, it doesn't bother me.

It's when the swearing is used as a someone I have a problem with it.

A way to think of it is it used as an adjective or a noun to describe something non living thing ex. "This (bleep)ing sucks", This (bleep) car has broken down for the last time.

vs usage of a noun directed at someone. Ex Your a "bleep" ....

That being said, it's human nature to assume certain stereo types about them based on the type of language you use.  

Be it social standing, economic standing, education standing (until they get to know you personally). 

There's also certain unspoken society rules as to some situations where using foul language does not go over well and provokes and collective negative response to that person. Just as there's situation's certain job culture's where it's the normal to use foul language and people won't even think twice about it.