Does swearing offend you?

Does swearing offend you?  

219 members have voted

1. 1. Does swearing offend you?

• Yes, swearing is a sin, you are all going to a bad place
    • Yea, I don't like it.. just think there could be other things said.
    • Neutral, I don't really swear, and small amounts don't bug me
    • No, swearing is cool with me.
    • I don't think of swearing as a special case.. a word is a word.

It has always offended me why "cursing" offends people.  I agree that in some instances people can go overboard in an attempt to sound like they're "gangsta" or something, but sometimes there are just no other words that suffice.

People who swear, in my opinion, think more of themselves, and very little of others.  How is that a good thing?

Why would you think that? That doesn't even make sense. Where would you get this correlation? 

It has always offended me why "cursing" offends people.  I agree that in some instances people can go overboard in an attempt to sound like they're "gangsta" or something, but sometimes there are just no other words that suffice.

I meant to say "puzzled", but I was thinking of the word "offended", and I can't edit my post now, :p

Depends on who curses me, in what context and how much. If he/she crosses the line we go tribal or I will fix these problems calmly most of the time.

I am more offended by hostile actions than by words. Hurting my ears is one thing but hurting my wallet/familly is another.

Education and culture mark offensive situations, latin people being more acid/energy filled than others.

Don't really mind swearing, don't really swear myself, but excessive swearing is not cool with me.

I don't like it when people swear in front of children. 

I don't swear a whole lot unless I get really mad and most people I know swear some but not to the point of excess.

My in-laws on the other can't say a sentence without f"ing this and f'ing that! Got into a real bad arguement with wife when kid was just a toddler. Told her I didn't want her to bring kid around them or them come around here.

One of her cousins has had big time problems with a PRESCHOOLER cussing out the bus driver. Has been kicked off bus several times! They think it's funny!

I think when used correctly, a swear word can be the best word to use in a situation to adequately express the gravity of a situation, or frustration, or sometimes it's just the best way to describe what you're trying to say. I tend to try and speak artfully and say exactly what I mean, so I do swear sometimes. When one isn't doing it constantly, those words can be an effective way to get people's attention, or drive home a point, or just be funny.

That being said, I think people who interject it after every other word in their sentences are rather small-minded and limited in vocabulary, and I think it's important to know when it isn't appropriate and be able to refrain.

To answer the question: It doesn't really offend me, but it's not an attractive quality in a person if they're constantly doing it--especially in frustration or aggression. People who get angry and annoyed a lot are hard to be around.

(No comment either way on the rule change. I don't make the laws, I just enforce 'em, etc etc)

Swearing doesn't offend me.  Those that love to swear just to swear I can do without, so I just "filter out" or ignore it.  The "F-Bomb" is getting tiresome though.  To each their own though.

There has been a study done that concluded that individuals who use swearing language tended to be more honest than those in a control who did not swear. The study is a bit vague in how it actually relates to degree of honesty, but nonetheless, it is interesting.  See for yourself.  http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/hide-and-seek/201205/hell-yes-the-7-best-reasons-swearing

• 3 weeks later...

Sometimes it is fun to swear around people who you know dislike swearing. Watching them go into a rant about the immorality of swearing only to tell them to shut the ###### up at the end is priceless.

Disliking certain words is infantile.