Do you use vinyl?

There seems to be a resurgence of vinyl (maybe by shallow hipsters who think playing vinyl makes them socially superior or something). 

Does anyone on here own/collect/listen to vinyl?

Nah, I had the Ghostbusters II soundtrack on vinyl along with a bunch of 70s music I inherited from my parents. They were all ruined in a basement flood in the late 90s though.

Seems like its just a hipster thing and they don't have any technical advantage over modern formats.

I don't know from experience even though I used to run sound boards for concerts and weekly services at my church, I have heard that true audiophiles appreciate the "Warm sound" from vinyl records that can't be heard with digital. 

I personally never had heard that myself, but do remember having vinyl records for years and all the snaps and pops you would get if not taken care of (as kids we didn't).

I have seen a small resurgence of LP's being sold in stores, but not nearly as strong as CD's and even those are getting scarce with the Digital music online these days you can purchase.

I have a box full of them that I have no idea how I got and have never touched them. Sometime I should take a look at them and see what I have. I don't have anything to play them with though.

I can't stand vinyl.  Why would anyone want scratches and such sounds added in, utterly ruining the music and distracting?  I guess I just like quality. :)

There seems to be a resurgence of vinyl (maybe by shallow hipsters who think playing vinyl makes them socially superior or something). 

Does anyone on here own/collect/listen to vinyl?

We have quite a few classic rock albums on vinyl that we listen to occasionally.  It just feels kind of nostalgic to throw a record onto the player and pick your song by finding the visible gap in the tracks, and it may be a placebo effect or something, but the ones in really good shape actually do sound deeper and richer than CDs in my opinion.

(maybe by shallow hipsters who think playing vinyl makes them socially superior or something).

isn't this remark a self-destructive irony? ;)

Some of the rarest early funky/soul/disco grooves can only be found on vinyl. I'll definitely get a player some day in the future.

can only be found on vinyl

I (like many DJs and music enthusiasts) ripped the rarer tracks I have to MP3, and before soulseek became corrupted into "just another music sharing mechanism" everyone shared on there.

Do did you mean legally?

I (like many DJs and music enthusiasts) ripped the rarer tracks I have to MP3, and before soulseek became corrupted into "just another music sharing mechanism" everyone shared on there.

Do did you mean legally?

yeah, it's a shame some of that stuff never got a chance to be released in the digital form.

• Like 1

Personally I do own a few pieces of vinyl. Not sure what it is but I do like to own older albums 'of that era' on vinyl rather than own them on CD. It also brings back memories of being a kid when my parents would listen to albums on vinyl - the whole process of carefully removing it out of the sleeve, onto the deck, gently lowering the needle down and being able to feintly hear the song 'hissing' through the needle as well as the speakers.

I Also own quite a few singles which were never available on CD - rare remixes of dance tunes I like, etc and some EP's from some bands that were only made available on vinyl too. I have some of them on MP3 too but if vinyl is the only way to physically own a copy (and not just a digital copy) then vinyl it is. 

• Like 2

I know friends who are big on vinyl.  I bought one an LP of Random Access Memories and he was ecstatic.  There's something about them that still has some appeal... they just haven't lost their value like CDs have with ripping (even if the songs are the same).

I sold all my vinyl a couple of years back when i went digital.. i'm still pro-digital now as you can get more music and the sound quality is better but i finding mixing is too easy and quick that i sort of lost interest and my kit just gathered dust, so i thrown a set of Technics 2010 into the setup and use time coded vinyl restored some of my love.

• Like 1

isn't this remark a self-destructive irony? ;)

If I listened to vinyl, perhaps, but I don't.

Used to have quite a bit but nah, not anymore.  I personally don't hear it sounding better than digital (never mind all the distortion from the media if you don't take very good care of it), plus it's just a hassle to use and a huge waste of space. Nostalgia aside, I'm ok with letting it go.  Used to have a bunch of 8-tracks and VHS tapes but I don't miss those either.

If I listened to vinyl, perhaps, but I don't.

Nope, that just flew way over your head, hahaha