Do you use vinyl?

vinyl is like HD while the mp3/m4a/ogg and other lossy rips or streams from places like youtube is like watching VHS

flac and alac still only get you halfway as the CD is still only 44.1k 

some of the LPs may be in poor condition and have a pop or click but that like the going to the symphony and saying it sounds like crap because you heard someone cough or sneeze. new records and ones that have been kept in good condition sound quiet and natural when theres silence 

theres something you hear that makes it so warm and spatial that you only get on vinyl. digital music sounds flat or 2D to me when i hear the same song on the same setup on both mediums 

Doesn't matter, still want. Even if they have higher dynamic range (less compression used) compared to what's out there now it'd totally be worth it to me.

Placebo

Audiophiles are True Believers. Choose your battles wisely. Better yet, sell them very "special" gear. ?_?

I'm no audiophile (thank God). I've read the arguments for both sides regarding "hi-res" music files. Does it matter? Who knows. Sure, perhaps, if you have high-end equipment. I only have a decent sound card (Xonar STX), a pretty decent USB DAC and I use studio monitors for computer speakers. Overkill? Nah, it's a step-up from the crappy-sounding PC speakers out there (I'm looking at you Logitech!).

Lossless CD-ripped files sound fine to my ears, as does 24/96 and 24/192 vinyl rips/needledrops. *Some* HDTracks-sourced files sound fine while others are poorly mastered crap. I have 16TB of space on my NAS dedicated to a music library of both redbook and "hi-res" music files so I'll have both. I also have a vinyl collection along with a decent setup which has cost me around 5k (with pretty decent turntable, tonearm, cartridge, amp, etc.). I also purchase brand new vinyl which is properly cleaned so I don't really have too many issues with pops and clicks associated with vinyl. :D

Know what I want most? Better releases properly mixed and mastered and not brickwalled to death.

My neighbor is an audiophile. It's great. He has a special stand that holds his amplifier 3cm off the resting surface. It's made from a "special" magical material that absorbs the vibration that the ones and zeros running over a digital cable induce. In other words, it's made from cheap pine bought at the local lumber yard, cut with a saw, sanded down to shape and painted nicely. I should know, I made it.

• Like 2

Oh boy, yeah, I actually know somebody like that too. He actually shelled out good money for "special" form to place his speakers upon in attempt to stop vibration or some harebrained scheme like that. Hell, I knew a guy who spent a small fortune on special cables. :rolleyes: Now that's overkill!

That's one of the many reasons I'd never refer to myself as an audiophile. I just love music, period.

I live in a house with probably about 100,000 vinyl records stockpiled and a lot of it is worthless, but there's a lot of rare vinyl around too. I don't own any of it although I can sell it if someone was interested in looking at it. Their funeral though as it's not in any order.

As for my own personal collection I have just one album on Vinyl, which is Hesitation Marks by Nine Inch Nails. I didn't buy it to play it, I just bought it as an ornament really.

I live in a house with probably about 100,000 vinyl records stockpiled and a lot of it is worthless, but there's a lot of rare vinyl around too. I don't own any of it although I can sell it if someone was interested in looking at it. Their funeral though as it's not in any order.

As for my own personal collection I have just one album on Vinyl, which is Hesitation Marks by Nine Inch Nails. I didn't buy it to play it, I just bought it as an ornament really.

I would like to see that. Can you provide us some pictures, please?

When I get my phone back from repair, sure. :0

There's basically a loft full of them, a double garage which is stacked up to the brim of them, and a bedroom.. full to the brim of them. Haha.

Nope, that just flew way over your head, hahaha

Explain? Or just insist it's too clever for me to understand?

Explain? Or just insist it's too clever for me to understand?

You're making a childish attack of their moral superiority; an attack in which your ego position itself as morally superior entity. It almost feels like you opened this thread just to insult an specific group.

yes lots of vinyl 

soooo good with a nice tube amp attachicon.gifIMG_2017.jpg

My wife and I have an old Marantz receiver and a Realistic turntable. You can see the tubes glow in that Marantz. It sounds great. We also have a 6 disc cd changer ipods and other digital music playing implements. 

Heck yeah, I love vinyl!  I've bought my girlfriend several outfits and it's a great day indeed whenever she breaks one out!

You're making a childish attack of their moral superiority; an attack in which your ego position itself as morally superior entity. It almost feels like you opened this thread just to insult an specific group.

Correction: I am childishly insulting their sense of social superiority.

People who choose vinyl because they think it is trendy are ###### hipsters. There are few things more obnoxious than discussing an album with some friends and somebody pipes up and says "OMG! You haven't heard the vinyl!? You haven't really heard the album until you've heard the vinyl, man!".

I'm hardly superior to them because I call ###### where I see it. If you think choosing a particular format entitles you to some social cachet you deserve nothing less than mockery.

My wife and I have an old Marantz receiver and a Realistic turntable. You can see the tubes glow in that Marantz. It sounds great. We also have a 6 disc cd changer ipods and other digital music playing implements. 

That glow is the glow of warm distortion.

That glow is the glow of warm distortion.

I also have an old Fender Tube Amp for my guitar. So, I know exactly what you mean. :)